GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Driver seat bottom cushion becoming a pain in the ....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-16, 11:36 PM
dano
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Driver seat bottom cushion becoming a pain in the ....

Having recently dropped about 30lbs. I am finding the driver seat bottom cushion on my '14 F-Sport is lacking. I'm not skinny by any stretch of the imagination (6', 197lb.) but man, the right side of my butt gets sore after about 40 minutes in the seat. It in turn sends a pain down the back of my right leg that doesn't go away for a day or so. I reached under the seat to feel for springs of some sort and there are none. We are essentially sitting on a steel pan with about 1 1/2" to 2" of very firm foam on top of it. I'm to the point of ordering a gel cushion to sit on but am afraid it will raise me up too high in the seat. It's too bad because I love these seat, especially how well the adjustable side bolsters hold you in place.
My wife is mad because I now prefer to take the Tundra if we are planning a trip of any distance. I have no issues with it's seats or the seats in our Honda Civic since losing the weight.

Has anyone else had the sore a$$ issue? If so, how did you remedy it?
Old 05-09-16, 06:30 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Not really unless you hire someone to do this for you.
Old 05-09-16, 07:46 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

The FSport has sport seats and all sports cars are less comfy than their counterparts. I wonder if the premium/luxury have different seat cushions.

Just try the gel cushion but don't get a really thick one that'll raise u straight to the roof.
Old 05-09-16, 08:01 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by dano
... the right side of my butt gets sore after about 40 minutes in the seat. It in turn sends a pain down the back of my right leg that doesn't go away for a day or so.
It sounds like you may be experiencing Sciatica nerve pain. If you are, the seat is not the root cause...however it may aggravate the condition. You might want to do some research about the Sciatica and/or have your Primary Care Physician check you out.

Last edited by bclexus; 05-09-16 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-09-16, 09:45 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
It sounds like you may be experiencing Sciatica nerve pain. If you are, the seat is not the root cause...however it may aggravate the condition. You might want to do some research about the Sciatica and/or have your Primary Care Physician check you out.
I have to agree here. I'm about your same height/weight. I hit the gym often and even the days following squat days, my seat's pretty comfortable. Getting in and out, that's a different story after squat day.
Old 05-09-16, 10:03 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Have you seen your Chiropractor lately? Get an adjustment and see what happens.
Old 05-09-16, 12:48 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's your wallet. Slim it down or quit putting it in the back right pocket. It's very bad for your back.
Old 05-09-16, 12:52 PM
MrKoo
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
It's your wallet. Slim it down or quit putting it in the back right pocket. It's very bad for your back.
he is right about this, its pretty crazy what sitting on your wallet does i had the same issues and now whenever i get into my car i just take my wallet out of my pocket.
Old 05-09-16, 12:53 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,557 Posts

You're right - carrying a wallet can be a pain in the butt...
Old 05-09-16, 01:05 PM
2Squared
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

It could also be Polymyalgia Rheumatica. I had the same type pains anytime I drove for more than 30 minutes (this was driving a cushy Trailblazer). Cortisteriod treatments have corrected the pain.
Old 05-09-16, 02:48 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

It must be the "hard currency".
Old 05-09-16, 03:06 PM
depechek
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem the first time I drove my sister's GS f-sport long distance- there is a thread on CL somewhere. I would just recommend that you keep playing around with the adjustments. I have taken my GS F-Sport on 3- 6hr road trips and was super comfortable each time. Since your body has changed, in this case weight, so does your seating position. I would try that before tossing in the towel. Congrats on the weight loss.
Old 05-09-16, 07:58 PM
dano
Driver

Never carry my wallet in the car. I toss it on the dash or in the cup holder.
Old 05-09-16, 08:06 PM
dano
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus

Thanks for the info! That sure sounds like my problem. I just ordered a 1.25" gel seat cushion and also found a YouTube video on stretching exercises to help relieve sciatica. I hope the cushion and stretching alleviates the pain. I love driving this car and don't want to find myself trading it on an LS or ES.
Old 05-09-16, 08:22 PM
dano
Driver

Originally Posted by 2Squared
It could also be Polymyalgia Rheumatica. I had the same type pains anytime I drove for more than 30 minutes (this was driving a cushy Trailblazer). Cortisteriod treatments have corrected the pain.
I'll investigate that issue. Sounds serious but glad you got relief. It's crazy how it doesn't bother me when I drive the '10 Tundra or the '05 Civic. In fact I've owned 4 different Honda S2000s and never experienced this much pain driving them until I was 3 hours into a trip. It's a shame this is happening because I love driving this car. I traded a 2014 Accord Touring on it and those seats were amazingly comfortable on long trips. But there is no comparison between the GS and the Accord as far as everything else. The GS is an amazing car!

Quick Reply: Driver seat bottom cushion becoming a pain in the ....