GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Using the physical Key to turn on engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-16, 09:27 AM
lchang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great to know--that you can avoid being stranded when the key battery dies.

Two related question: is there any warning before the battery dies? And approximately how long does the battery last?
Old 07-18-16, 09:37 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by lchang
This is great to know--that you can avoid being stranded when the key battery dies.

Two related question: is there any warning before the battery dies? And approximately how long does the battery last?
The Display (between speedometer and tachometer) will say something like 'Battery Low' when the battery gets weak. Depending on how often the remote is used, the battery will last anywhere from 18 months to 3 years.

It only takes 3-4 minutes to replace the battery. It's probably a good idea to replace them yearly, then you'll never have to worry about it. There are plenty of videos online that show you how to do it. Or your Lexus dealership will do it for you for the cost of the batteries if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.
Old 07-18-16, 11:29 AM
lchang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
The Display (between speedometer and tachometer) will say something like 'Battery Low' when the battery gets weak. Depending on how often the remote is used, the battery will last anywhere from 18 months to 3 years.

It only takes 3-4 minutes to replace the battery. It's probably a good idea to replace them yearly, then you'll never have to worry about it. There are plenty of videos online that show you how to do it. Or your Lexus dealership will do it for you for the cost of the batteries if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.
Thanks!
Old 07-18-16, 01:55 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts

my moms 2012 IS250 key fob died one time, the car would not start what so ever, so at first we thought the car was dead, then i realized the key may have been dead. the car will say "key is not detected" and if it says that when the key is nearby in the car, assume the key fob is dead.
Old 07-19-16, 03:05 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by jmull3r
my moms 2012 IS250 key fob died one time, the car would not start what so ever, so at first we thought the car was dead, then i realized the key may have been dead. the car will say "key is not detected" and if it says that when the key is nearby in the car, assume the key fob is dead.
Did you try putting the key fob against the start button? This action will allow the car to start if the key fob is out of battery.
Old 07-20-16, 04:14 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL good thing this is up cause a lotta people dont use the manual
Old 12-20-16, 03:25 PM
hziemba
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I know that the manuals are online at Lexus, but they come in the form of dozens of small PDF files, with no option for a single PDF file that can easily be searched. Also, the pages all have huge margins which just waste screen space, especially on an iPhone.
Old 12-20-16, 03:57 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus

So far as I know, the dealership will replace the battery for you if you ask when you have the car in for service. Both Santa Monica Lexus and Cerritos Lexus have replaced the battery in my Smart Card Fob when I asked. I used to keep the Smart Card in my phone case and discovered that the Bluetooth in the phone will actually keep the fob "awake" as they are on very close radio frequencies. The battery died twice within 2 months as a result. Both dealerships replaced the battery without issue.

I have since moved the smart card to my money clip and away from my phone. Going on 9 months without it dying..
Old 12-20-16, 07:20 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

The battery in the key fob can be changed in two minutes, and the battery is available in most any drug store.
Old 12-26-16, 10:49 PM
TeamThrust
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know when my battery ever dies.
Old 12-27-16, 01:58 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rijc99
Next best thing... Download and save to your phone or ipad.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...nual-search.do
Lol. Why do I have 4?Using the physical Key to turn on engine-photo23.jpg
Old 12-27-16, 09:47 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Lol. Why do I have 4?Attachment 401258
you have 2 the manual and the quick guide.

you pick the 2 related to your build date, looks like Lexus changes some things part way through the year, which is not uncommon.
Old 09-09-19, 08:47 AM
Les916
Driver School Candidate

ouch... those Vans has seen better days.
Old 09-09-19, 10:48 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jmull3r
You have to hold the key up to the start push button for a few seconds for it to sense it and then you can start the car. Lexus designed it like this as a fail-safe for these scenarios.
Old 12-15-19, 10:01 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice that it doesnt need 2 way communication all the time, the car ECU can still read the fob i.d.

Quick Reply: Using the physical Key to turn on engine