GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Yet another subwoofer amplifier install project! Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-16, 06:03 AM
Runamok81
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Any pictures?
I will post some later. Nothing fancy for this DIY. Just clean and practical.

Originally Posted by Hooksta
Does this replace the factory sub in the rear deck? If so, do you also add an amp or is the replacement all you needed to do?
No, I did not replace the factory sub. This is a completely separate aftermarket install. An direct OEM replacement sub may exist. Resistance matched and same size, but I haven't seen one yet. Most folks are modifying their rear decks to fit their sub of choice AND powering it with aftermarket amp. That is one way to go.

Originally Posted by 08Lex450h
Does anyone have a definitive procedure that has been tested and WORKS perfectly?
I've read a lot of people debating over which wires to connect and what line processors to use to get optimal performance from the factory ML system.

I have 2 JL 12W1v2 speakers and a JL 500/1v2 and ready to install.

I use to install back in 99-2002 but I worked for a large company that basically got me all the info I needed for cases like this as well as the vehicles weren't quite as technologically advanced.

Looking for 1 tried and true way to install this system.

What parts I need and what tips work.

Thank you!
I too did my own installs in the past. Unlike the installs of yesteryear, our stock Lexus head unit communicates to the OEM amp over MOST Bus. A special wire that sends audio AND command signals to the OEM amp. There are no "line level" signal wires to tap. Only MOST Bus going into the amp. The only wires you can tap will be high-wattage speaker level signals exiting the amp. And those signals will be crossed-over. Highs get highs. Mids get mids. Subs get lows. This makes good use of the OEM amp.

Folks tapping anything other than subwoofer are probably combining multiple channels via a DSP to restore a "full range" signal. This makes sense if you're doing a full system replacement. But less sense if you're just adding a sub.

Hopefully this helps you.
Old 06-15-16, 11:29 AM
rmklotz4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the link to the thread! Would love to see photos. I am eyeing this exact same install!
Old 06-15-16, 11:31 AM
rmklotz4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by popping
Sorry about the delay and messy car

Installer built custom box and advised facing towards the cabin for tight bass and less rattle.

Hidden sub

quick adjustments on the fly
Where did you have this install done?

I have never seen anyone face the sub in this direction...is this the JL shallow 10"?
Old 06-15-16, 01:03 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rmklotz4
Where did you have this install done?

I have never seen anyone face the sub in this direction...is this the JL shallow 10"?
Showtime audio in chicago. I have a JL 12 w6
Old 06-15-16, 01:30 PM
rmklotz4
Driver School Candidate

In your opinion...are all of the steps outlined here things that professional shops should/would know and perform in a basic install?
The following users liked this post:
GSylvia (12-13-20)
Old 06-15-16, 08:06 PM
jayyyy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i had mines before i changed it

Old 06-15-16, 09:53 PM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Facing a sub into the cabin is normal and also less rattles but you have to seal off the box. I have 2 12s and my port faces the sky hole
Old 06-16-16, 01:04 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rmklotz4
In your opinion...are all of the steps outlined here things that professional shops should/would know and perform in a basic install?
Yes. In my opinion, forget the best buy and the cheap guys. use yelp/google maps for a good quality installer that's been in the game a little while. Yes, you will probably pay more than best buy, or some guy working out of his garage, but you'll have peace of mind knowing someone reputable is doing the work (and is insured). I actually drove an hour to have the installer do the work on my car. But his yelp is 5 stars, 94 reviews, been in the game 10+ years. Gave me a good price, cheaper than some others with high ratings.

Originally Posted by Rozay604
Facing a sub into the cabin is normal and also less rattles but you have to seal off the box. I have 2 12s and my port faces the sky hole
It all depends on what you want. I like my to feel my bass and for it to be clean. So he advised a sealed box (which i had before, but now customized to fit the trunk) and to face the cabin so the bass goes directly into the cabin. if you face it outwards, there's more rattling, which i'm not a fan of.
Old 06-17-16, 05:31 AM
chillion
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by popping
Sorry about the delay and messy car

Installer built custom box and advised facing towards the cabin for tight bass and less rattle.

Hidden sub

quick adjustments on the fly
Is tahat a w7 ? What inch? Im trying to get my w7 inside my trunk. I have the OEM box for the 12 inch. Did u lose alot of trunk space facing that inside the car? How does it sound with the OEM speakers? Do u have the upgraded speakers from lexus or just the stock speakers?
Nice setup.
Old 06-17-16, 05:38 AM
chillion
Driver School Candidate

cant wait to get my w7 and 1000/1 i had from my previous car in my new gs 350. I hope it sounds good with stock headunit and the regular non upgraded factory speakers. Im still thinking if i should use the stock red carpeted JL box which is huge and ill lose alot of my trunk space but sounds very good in it or get a smaller not ported sealed box to save space. Its a 12" and te box is dam huge. And i dont even crank my amp half way. Maybe i should get a 10inch in a sealed box and sell mine or find a local trade. Getting the mod bug started. Tints getting it done monday. Hot wired V1 radar already and subs next than some intake and exhaust setup than some window tire wheel setup at 16~17 inch and have some fun on te snow in the AWD. Cant wait. Car is sooo smooth. Good thing i choose the gs350. Still has the new car smell and only been a month loll.
Old 06-17-16, 01:25 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chillion
Is tahat a w7 ? What inch? Im trying to get my w7 inside my trunk. I have the OEM box for the 12 inch. Did u lose alot of trunk space facing that inside the car? How does it sound with the OEM speakers? Do u have the upgraded speakers from lexus or just the stock speakers?
Nice setup.
12W6. you can kind of see how much space i lost. I lost space on the side, but the box sits farther back in the trunk. I usually don't carry a bunch of stuff except 1-2 suitcases when i travel, so i was willing to sacrifice space for aesthetic looks. I think it sounds really good with stock speakers. I don't have ML

cant wait to get my w7 and 1000/1 i had from my previous car in my new gs 350. I hope it sounds good with stock headunit and the regular non upgraded factory speakers. Im still thinking if i should use the stock red carpeted JL box which is huge and ill lose alot of my trunk space but sounds very good in it or get a smaller not ported sealed box to save space. Its a 12" and te box is dam huge. And i dont even crank my amp half way. Maybe i should get a 10inch in a sealed box and sell mine or find a local trade. Getting the mod bug started. Tints getting it done monday. Hot wired V1 radar already and subs next than some intake and exhaust setup than some window tire wheel setup at 16~17 inch and have some fun on te snow in the AWD. Cant wait. Car is sooo smooth. Good thing i choose the gs350. Still has the new car smell and only been a month loll.
the w7 is larger and heavier the the 12w6 so even with a custom box, you'll lose a lot of space, I looked into upgrading to a 12w7, and decided i would be losing too much space for my liking.
Old 06-17-16, 03:54 PM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I Have a 12W6 as well and pretty sure you would be content with it.
Old 06-18-16, 12:39 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

I ran a w6 for a while and it's a great sounding sub. I ran the w7 too and man that thing is loud. So loud that the trunk rattles like crazy. Dynamat your trunk ppl if your gonna face your sub towards the trunk. It will help.
Old 06-18-16, 07:06 AM
Hooksta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rozay604
I ran a w6 for a while and it's a great sounding sub. I ran the w7 too and man that thing is loud. So loud that the trunk rattles like crazy. Dynamat your trunk ppl if your gonna face your sub towards the trunk. It will help.
Does the GS350 trunk rattle more than a typical car? That would seem surprising.

I am asking because I have an appointment to install a Kicker 11PES10C powered subwoofer on July 1st. I like it for its quick disconnect, self-powered, small footprint, mounting kit, and great reviews. But - when I look at the design shape it makes sense for me to mount it against the back seat and have it facing the rear (towards the trunk).

I'm no bass head so I will probably adjust the bass out of the factory speakers (to stop door speakers from rattling) and adjust the gain on the sub just up to the point that you can start feeling the bass. I suppose I can always go back for the dynamat option if it rattles too much.
Old 06-18-16, 04:02 PM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hooksta
Does the GS350 trunk rattle more than a typical car? That would seem surprising.

I am asking because I have an appointment to install a Kicker 11PES10C powered subwoofer on July 1st. I like it for its quick disconnect, self-powered, small footprint, mounting kit, and great reviews. But - when I look at the design shape it makes sense for me to mount it against the back seat and have it facing the rear (towards the trunk).

I'm no bass head so I will probably adjust the bass out of the factory speakers (to stop door speakers from rattling) and adjust the gain on the sub just up to the point that you can start feeling the bass. I suppose I can always go back for the dynamat option if it rattles too much.
If your running a basic 10 inch it doesn't rattle that much but if your running big woofers. It will rattle, I have 2 12s facing into the cabin fully sealed off and the whole trunk dynamated. I have zero rattle and it's loud.

Quick Reply: Yet another subwoofer amplifier install project! Any advice?