GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Vibration at 70+MPH

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 02:07 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Good to hear that you got it fixed. These problems are really hard to pinpoint at times especially if the repair shop is not giving you good info.
Old 06-07-16, 10:44 PM
msp713
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trbosmitty, it turns out that my tires needed replacing and i no longer have vibration issues now!

i went with 245 front/275 rear since the 265 rears were backordered. that said, i was already lowered on tanabe springs with 15mm/20mm spacers. i dont recall seeing that combo on here...do you guys think i could potentially have issues with the change in tire size?
Old 06-07-16, 11:42 PM
trbosmitty
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by msp713
trbosmitty, it turns out that my tires needed replacing and i no longer have vibration issues now!
i went with 245 front/275 rear since the 265 rears were backordered. that said, i was already lowered on tanabe springs with 15mm/20mm spacers. i dont recall seeing that combo on here...do you guys think i could potentially have issues with the change in tire size?
Nice!!! Glad to hear yours was an easy fix too.
I'm assuming you are on the stock 19's? I'm running 245 and 275 on 20in wheels and started experiencing rubbing issues in the back. Had my wheel shop roll the rear fenders and that fixed my problem.
Old 06-08-16, 08:15 AM
msp713
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trbosmitty
Nice!!! Glad to hear yours was an easy fix too.
I'm assuming you are on the stock 19's? I'm running 245 and 275 on 20in wheels and started experiencing rubbing issues in the back. Had my wheel shop roll the rear fenders and that fixed my problem.
Yes, I'm still on stock 19's
Old 06-08-16, 08:50 AM
trbosmitty
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I'm still on stock 19's
I would test the new tires out with the spacers first. You will be able to gauge what the fitment will be once the new tires are installed. You might be cutting it pretty close with the spacers though.
Old 06-09-16, 04:24 PM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm not surprised that new tires fixed it...since we can't rotate on a staggered setup (well, you can rotate side to side IF you have non-directional tires) sometimes stuff does not wear evenly. Or, in my case, if you have a tire that was punctured at one point and repaired, and the area around the puncture wears faster so that your tire is out of round over time. I have vibration at about 70+mph due to that. Looking forward to new tires...
Old 09-19-20, 02:28 PM
KCole786
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey did u get this fixed?

Originally Posted by trbosmitty
My car has had a vibration issue now that I'm trying to isolate where its coming from. This isn't just a nuisance vibration; its significant enough to shake the water bottles in the cup holder and I can see my empty passenger seat shaking. I can't isolate where exactly its coming from as its in the rear and in the front. Looking for some additional troubleshooting ideas. I'll give you the run down on what I've done so far.

I first noticed the vibration was there when I bought the car but didn't really sweat it as the car needed new tires anyway. I'm still on stock wheels and suspension at this point. So I have new Continental DWS06 tires installed at discount tire (mounted and balanced). I noticed the vibration is still there from 70-80mph. Multiple trips to different Discount tire shops (8 visits) to have them balance and road force balance with no luck. The second road force balance test did reveal one of the continentals had a slight bump in the tire. So we replaced them with a set of Michelin Primacy tires. Again vibration is still there at highway speeds. The manager of discount tire is determined that I'm imagining things and insist that he personally balance and road force check them to prove me wrong. I won that round but that still doesn't fix my issue. At this point I'm thinking its the wheels so I bought a new set of wheels and while I'm at it I lowered the car on Tanabe springs. Had the wheels balanced and once again...vibration is still the same. We noticed I didn't have any hub centric rings installed on any of the wheels so I ordered them for both sets of wheels thinking that would surely be the problem. I ended up getting another set of wheels just for a backup set with new Continental DWS06's this time with the rings installed...again vibration is still there. I just had the alignment done as well...surely this will fix the problem....no luck either. I thought...maybe the front rotors are warped; but shot that idea down as my car doesn't shake under braking but I had the rotors resurfaced anyways as the brake pads where grabbing part of the rotor when I spun them. That didn't fix the vibration either. I checked both tie-rods and all wheel bearings and everything is tight.

The car currently has 58K miles (majority being highway miles). I have an appointment scheduled in the morning with Lexus; but I have a pretty good feeling they will blame it on the lowering springs and the aftermarket wheels.

I ordered the SPC rear camber kit and will be adding that as well as getting my alignment accomplished again. I'm thinking coilovers to swap out my shocks as I think they will need to be replaced soon and re-surface the rear rotors; but I'm not sure that will solve my problem.

Any ideas of what I could try next would be greatly appreciated!

I wanted to ask you if or anyone solved this issue
Old 09-19-20, 02:45 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by KCole786
I wanted to ask you if or anyone solved this issue
Hi KCole!

If you read through the thread focusing on the OPs posts he did end up getting this resolved it seems through some additional tire and wheel work.
Old 11-23-20, 10:30 PM
Tritri8298
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Also have a slight wobble in rear , def can feel it going from 20-50 .

Even vibrates at high speed , 5-8 secs vibrate then smooth constantly. Bought the car used and happen since day one