GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2015 vs 2016

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 03:24 PM
Msujohn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 vs 2016

I started looking at the GS350 F Sport AWD this past week. I'm amazed at how many 2015's are still in stock. Has anyone bought a new 2015 recently? Just wondering how much more of a discount I can expect vs. buying a 2016. Any major changes in the 2016 that I need to consider? Ideally, I want to get one with AWD, BSM, IPA.
Old 05-24-16, 05:00 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

'16 doesn't have HID anymore, only LED. To me, that is a major problem with '16.
Old 05-24-16, 06:06 PM
sonyfan
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Msujohn
I started looking at the GS350 F Sport AWD this past week. I'm amazed at how many 2015's are still in stock. Has anyone bought a new 2015 recently? Just wondering how much more of a discount I can expect vs. buying a 2016. Any major changes in the 2016 that I need to consider? Ideally, I want to get one with AWD, BSM, IPA.
Front fascias have been revised, and rocker panels are new, while bi-LED headlights and running lights have been added. Machine-finished, five-spoke 18-inch wheels are new.

Navigation now is standard on the GS 350. Multimedia features have been enhanced, including an available 12.3-inch screen. A revised Remote Touch Interface should make it easier to control primary functions, and Siri Eyes Free integration can provide Apple users with turn-by-turn directions. A new Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 body color is offered exclusively on F Sport models. New Lexus Safety System Plus includes pre-collision warning with pedestrian detection, lane-departure alert with steering assist, adaptive cruise control, and automatic high beams. Blind-spot monitoring with cross-traffic alert is standard.
Old 05-24-16, 07:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by spoogenet
'16 doesn't have HID anymore, only LED. To me, that is a major problem with '16.
Why? My IS had LEDs and I'd take them back over the HIDs in my GS any day.
Old 05-24-16, 07:54 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
Why? My IS had LEDs and I'd take them back over the HIDs in my GS any day.
Ok, get ready, here I go....

I am one of the people who can see the flicker in LED lights. I am prejudiced against LEDs and have not driven a car with LED headlights -- admittedly there can be design changes that would mitigate my concern. But instrument cluster lights, tail lights, monitor backlights, home lights -- they flicker for me and it is very straining on the eyes! Not much in this world is more torturous than having to follow a car with LED brake lights (especially Cadillacs) at night when my eyes are tired.

Again, perchance they run a more steady current for the headlights, but I've encountered a couple other vehicles on the road where I see the flicker in their headlights (unsure of vehicle brands).

It's something that probably seems like minutia to the high % of people who don't see the flicker, but it's horrible and eye straining for those of us who do -- and that makes it less safe on the road.

On top of all that, (again, maybe not applicable to these specific headlights) the cooler color temperature of many white LEDs does not reflect as well. It's less a lack of brightness and more about how the color spectrum reflects back.

For my eyes, HID reigns supreme.
Old 05-24-16, 07:56 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

What about the LEDs in your IS did you prefer over the HIDs in your GS?
Old 05-24-16, 08:39 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I found the LEDs to have a better cutoff and felt they did a better job in getting the light where I wanted it. I also liked the color better. My HIDs are fine, but they feel like a downgrade to me.
Old 05-24-16, 08:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I am prejudiced against LEDs and have not driven a car with LED headlights
For my eyes, HID reigns supreme.
I don't see how you can make this statement or offer any credible advice to others if you have not driven a car with LED headlights
Old 05-24-16, 09:28 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't see how you can make this statement or offer any credible advice to others if you have not driven a car with LED headlights
That's why I used the word "prejudiced." Indeed, my evidence against Lexus LED headlights is anecdotal, though my dislike of LED as a lighting source for other headlights and lighting sources is based on personal experience.

Despite that, I can always hide behind the fact that many people will pass on a vehicle for much more mundane, or less personal safety oriented reasons, as cupholders or appearance (not to be confused with functionality) of lights.

Last edited by spoogenet; 05-24-16 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Added smiley face to be cheery & friendly :)
Old 05-26-16, 05:22 PM
Msujohn
Driver School Candidate

Looking at a 2015 with a MSRP of $58,480. Is it possible to get better than $12k off?
Old 05-26-16, 05:51 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Looking at a 2015 with a MSRP of $58,480. Is it possible to get better than $12k off?
Depends on the dealer, I have heard of up to 25% off.
Old 05-26-16, 08:17 PM
namzug
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my 2015 Fsport RWD fully loaded except HUD in DEC15 for $42,668 with window sticker of $57,89(less tax). Car was built in June15. It took over a week to negotiate all over SOCAL but I could not believe the dealership in San Diego (my hometown) beat everyone at the last minute.
I first started with the brokers in L.A., then dealerships. Once I got their best I blasted emails to the dealerships in San Diego. A couple of days later the flood gates opened with emails. Most replies stated that although there prices were higher their customer support was even higher. That was in November, then one of the more honest brokers told me to wait until 7 DEC for new specials. I'm glad I did because during the first week of DEC the bidding war started. Finally around 6 DEC I was contacted by some internet salesperson from Escondido Lexus (San DIego) reported that they will beat any deal if I come down. First of all I never come in without a solid quote in writing. I said no until I got lowest price confirmation. The girl then directed me to the GM and he asked for lowest quote. Luckily the broker in L.A. sent me sticker and his price(but left out down payment). I email to GM and he said he could beat it but I would have to come in the next day. I did, and while I was talking to GM to lock down price I was talking to a broker. I told the GM that I was talking with broker and who ever gives me best price I would get it on the spot. Broker offered a bit over $42 and the GM said he would take $500 off his deal. That was all it took. I gave him my personal information and told him to do the paper work and to call me when I need to sign. I also told him I was NOT interested in anything finance had to offer (extended crap with a 500% mark up (i..e. wheel, security, warranty, Teflon packages etc.). I got a call about an hour later and 20 minutes after that I drove my new Fsport off the lot. While driving home the broker called and offered me even less then I asked if his deal has ML and all the other stuff. He said no. Last week I was able to get my buddy into a brand new RX350 for a great deal too using similar tactics. However, San Diego was not even close to L.A.. He ended getting his RX from Beverly Hills (MSRP $53K and he got it for $49,998 out the door - which included tax, License and fees).
Working with broker right now getting a new Honda CRV for my friend in Church. Once I get quote I will shoot it out to the dealerships within a 100 miles. Since the long weekend is coming up I'm curious the deal she will get. Got a similar deal for my 2012 MBZ E350 sport. The list was $54 but I got it for $42K. Liked the car but hated the $295 oil changes and $400 check-ups.
Old 05-27-16, 08:52 AM
Msujohn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by namzug
I got my 2015 Fsport RWD fully loaded except HUD in DEC15 for $42,668 with window sticker of $57,89(less tax). Car was built in June15. It took over a week to negotiate all over SOCAL but I could not believe the dealership in San Diego (my hometown) beat everyone at the last minute.
I first started with the brokers in L.A., then dealerships. Once I got their best I blasted emails to the dealerships in San Diego. A couple of days later the flood gates opened with emails. Most replies stated that although there prices were higher their customer support was even higher. That was in November, then one of the more honest brokers told me to wait until 7 DEC for new specials. I'm glad I did because during the first week of DEC the bidding war started. Finally around 6 DEC I was contacted by some internet salesperson from Escondido Lexus (San DIego) reported that they will beat any deal if I come down. First of all I never come in without a solid quote in writing. I said no until I got lowest price confirmation. The girl then directed me to the GM and he asked for lowest quote. Luckily the broker in L.A. sent me sticker and his price(but left out down payment). I email to GM and he said he could beat it but I would have to come in the next day. I did, and while I was talking to GM to lock down price I was talking to a broker. I told the GM that I was talking with broker and who ever gives me best price I would get it on the spot. Broker offered a bit over $42 and the GM said he would take $500 off his deal. That was all it took. I gave him my personal information and told him to do the paper work and to call me when I need to sign. I also told him I was NOT interested in anything finance had to offer (extended crap with a 500% mark up (i..e. wheel, security, warranty, Teflon packages etc.). I got a call about an hour later and 20 minutes after that I drove my new Fsport off the lot. While driving home the broker called and offered me even less then I asked if his deal has ML and all the other stuff. He said no. Last week I was able to get my buddy into a brand new RX350 for a great deal too using similar tactics. However, San Diego was not even close to L.A.. He ended getting his RX from Beverly Hills (MSRP $53K and he got it for $49,998 out the door - which included tax, License and fees).
Working with broker right now getting a new Honda CRV for my friend in Church. Once I get quote I will shoot it out to the dealerships within a 100 miles. Since the long weekend is coming up I'm curious the deal she will get. Got a similar deal for my 2012 MBZ E350 sport. The list was $54 but I got it for $42K. Liked the car but hated the $295 oil changes and $400 check-ups.

It always seems like these deals only happen in CA. I'd love to hear from people who have bought a 2015 AWD recently on what they got for a discount.
Old 05-27-16, 09:43 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

That's why I used the word "prejudiced." Indeed, my evidence against Lexus LED headlights is anecdotal, though my dislike of LED as a lighting source for other headlights and lighting sources is based on personal experience.

Despite that, I can always hide behind the fact that many people will pass on a vehicle for much more mundane, or less personal safety oriented reasons, as cupholders or appearance (not to be confused with functionality) of lights.
It seems strange we are discussing the merits of HID vs. LED and being so polar about it. These two are much more similar as compared to halogen.
Old 05-28-16, 04:37 AM
dwayne4lex
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a leftover 2015 GS350 F sport for $45K including tax, tag and title back in January of this year. I was working with 2 dealerships in Georgia and got the final dealer to take $14K off the list price. Luckily, the sales person I was working with at the competing dealership had just left the dealership I purchased from. Definitely go for the 2015 leftover.

Quick Reply: 2015 vs 2016