GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Not happy with noise level - is there any way to make GS quieter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-16, 04:03 PM
trbosmitty
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
I do agree some what but I feel Ike the GS is pretty quite even with my 20" wheels and rubber band like tires. I use to own a 2013 Kia Optima SX turbo loaded with all the bells and whistles (33k) and I just couldn't stand the road noise. I felt like it was made out of paper. I got rid of that car even though it was mainly bought to be my daily driver so the RX wouldn't rack on too many miles. Now the GS is my daily driver and I love it.

I'm in the same boat. I was getting ready to gut the interior on my fully loaded Optima and decided to part ways after I test drove a GS 350. I had the engine go out on me at 32K miles and was experiencing steering problems that was enough for me to make the switch.

I will say that I had 2016 ES 350 as loaner car that was as quiet as a library.
Old 06-16-16, 04:50 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Maybe it's the sound generator?? This is a different model, but same motor.

Old 06-16-16, 05:00 PM
Deven
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another tangential thought. It is quite possible that the car is not noisy at all, and in fact probably quieter than pervious generation GS's, but the disassociated feeling that is with other cars is not there anymore. By that I mean the GS this generation, (and in particular the F-sport) has a very stiff suspension, has very grippy regenerative brakes (hybrid), has a better steering response, etc. etc. and thus you become more 'aware' of everything. You 'feel' every bump in the road, you 'feel' the wind resistance, and that can result in the 'perception' that the car is loud, while in fact the car is very quiet.

Its just a thought.
Old 06-16-16, 05:53 PM
neilsarkar
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeller
Maybe it's the sound generator?? This is a different model, but same motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kz9DWz2BuU
Is there any easy and safe way to disable the sound generetor that does not void the warranty? I would love to give that a shot.
Old 06-16-16, 07:54 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

You can change the intake without voiding your warranty, unless you do it in a way that causes damage or issues with the vehicle sensors & air filtration.

Probably the quietest car I've driven is a 745i. I have the Dunlops on my GS, so I've got road noise coming out of my ears. The wind noise is quite good, as is insulation from external sounds. I've got the ML with Lamisafe acoustic laminated glass.

One thing BMW designs for (and probably Audi) is chassis harmonics. The cars won't resonate with as much while driving and that keeps some noise down. I'm not sure the GS is similarly designed and I do feel it would benefit from a bit of additional sound-deadening material to insulate from the road -- but that adds some weight.

Last edited by spoogenet; 06-16-16 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-17-16, 12:46 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by neilsarkar
Is there any easy and safe way to disable the sound generetor that does not void the warranty? I would love to give that a shot.
Maybe a pair of socks on the end of the sound gen pipe?

Back OT though, maybe your car could use an alignment? The P7 are known to be pretty quiet tires, it's strange you'd still find them to be "noisy".
Old 06-17-16, 12:50 PM
MTerrence
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For anyone who currently has the tempered windows on their car, I've got an inquiry in with my dealership about whether a car with tempered windows can upgrade to the acoustic laminated windows.

As for road noise, I'm pretty sure that an acoustic barrier around the wheel wells is probably an important first step.

Turned out that my wheels were out of balance, so we'll see if that makes any difference for the noise level...
Old 06-17-16, 03:57 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

I have both 3GS and 4GS.
4GS has actually more wind resistance and more wind noise above the roof.
4GS engine is also louder, esp on wide opening throttle.
4GS has considerably noisier tires, esp on Dunlop Sport Maxx 050 above 50 mph; below 50 mph, the Dunlop Sport Maxx 050's are dead quiet!
Dunlop Sport Maxx 050's in 19" is much louder on the highway than 18".
The Bridgestone Potenzas fitted to the F Sport is much louder than the Dunlop Sport Maxx 050's IMO.

4GS is too firm on the springs - excellent steering response and terminal grip, but a very busy ride.
IMO, the 4GS's busy ride is far more apparent than the noise on cruising or full throttle.
I often feel 4GS liquid filled engine mounts and suspension mounts more isolated than 3GS.

Presently, the 4GS seems to have the one suspension set up only, with the F Sport "adding": electronic shockies, 19" rims and rear wheel steering etc; I believe Lexus should have two totally separate suspension set ups just like the Germans; one dedicated to genuine luxury, and the F Sport tune dedicated to sports.

Apart from Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S, and maybe an aftermarket K&N air intake system etc for those who full throttle frequently, I think we must "accept" the current generation 4GS for its sportiness and noise; the ES is always there for those who want space, ride and refinement.
IMO, the NVH for 4GS is acceptable.
I personally classify my 4GS not as a pure luxury sedan, but as a sports-oriented luxury sedan, or even a sporting-luxury sedan.

I wouldn't want to go any firmer or louder than my Premium model with 18" as it is now.
On smooth roads, my 4GS is superb; however on pick-pocked roads, my 4GS can be tiring - then I wish I had an attractively styled 2007-12 4LS460; I don't like the mid-life updated styling of the current model 2012-17 4.5LS.

I think they made the current 4GS too sporty, and next gen 5GS will be smoother and more refined.
I can't wait till air suspension becomes an option on 5GS like it is on C and E Classes.

IMO, the current model Benz E350 is the smoothest and quietest riding in this class, but the current model E350's "corny" styling was unacceptable for me...

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-18-16 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-19-16, 08:47 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MTerrence
For anyone who currently has the tempered windows on their car, I've got an inquiry in with my dealership about whether a car with tempered windows can upgrade to the acoustic laminated windows.

As for road noise, I'm pretty sure that an acoustic barrier around the wheel wells is probably an important first step.

Turned out that my wheels were out of balance, so we'll see if that makes any difference for the noise level...
I'm curious what they find out, but I would suspect the answer is 'yes' as long as you buy the right glass. I wouldn't expect Lexus to change other parts for the different lamination.
Old 06-19-16, 11:21 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 248 Posts

Download sound meter, what db's are you?
Old 06-20-16, 05:18 AM
MTerrence
Rookie

Originally Posted by spoogenet
I'm curious what they find out, but I would suspect the answer is 'yes' as long as you buy the right glass. I wouldn't expect Lexus to change other parts for the different lamination.
From my rough fumbling around in the parts catalogue, I expect that you're right.

The truth is that, even with the tempered windows, there's not a lot of noise that comes in - I think that road noise is way more a weakness of this car than wind noise or noise from the rest of traffic. I remember my old Mazda 3, where I could practically check my blind spots by ear. Not so in the GS!
Old 06-20-16, 06:26 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Coming from a Bmw 535 with M package I don't mind the harsh ride of the F Sports yeah but when I drive my brothers LS it's in a league of its own when it comes to road noise and comfort.
Old 06-20-16, 06:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Tires are HUGELY important to how a Lexus rides and how quiet the experience is. Thats been the case in every Lexus I've owned, including the LS. If you want to do one thing that will have a big impact on noise when underway, replace the tires with something really quiet.

On good tires, my GS was very quiet. My LS is quieter obviously but even with it, I replaced the tires with better tires at 7k miles and the difference in road noise was substantial.
Old 06-20-16, 08:05 AM
MTerrence
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Tires are HUGELY important to how a Lexus rides and how quiet the experience is. Thats been the case in every Lexus I've owned, including the LS. If you want to do one thing that will have a big impact on noise when underway, replace the tires with something really quiet.

On good tires, my GS was very quiet. My LS is quieter obviously but even with it, I replaced the tires with better tires at 7k miles and the difference in road noise was substantial.

I've been using the Primacy MXM4. I have yet to find a tire as quiet as my old Primacy MXV4s, but that might have to do with the fact that they were 205s and not 235s...

When it comes time to replace my tires, I'll have a hard choice to make between picking something that's quiet and comfortable and something that kicks ***. I bet the car would be an absolute hoot to drive with a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports!
Old 06-20-16, 08:38 AM
neilsarkar
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

I already upgraded the tires to Pirelli Cinturato P7+, one of the most well reviewed GT tire.

Last edited by neilsarkar; 06-20-16 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Not happy with noise level - is there any way to make GS quieter?