GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tint shop has to remove door panels to tint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-16, 06:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
Btw which tint did u get in your car and is it worth to get the ceramic tint done.
Originally Posted by litesoarer
Ceramic, that's the one that blocks out most heat and UV, right?

I may upgrade as I have a black interior and I park outside a lot (No indoor lot at work)
I had Hüper Optik Nano-Ceramic 30 installed. Hüper Optik Nano-Ceramic 30 is what I have had installed on my other vehicles. I would not have chosen it numerous times if I wasn't pleased with the results. It's unbelievable at rejecting (blocking) heat, as well as both UVA and UVB rays.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-17-16 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-17-16, 08:06 PM
Starfire15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was worried about the same thing as the panel were removed on my previous cars. Many guys on here said panels do not need to be removed. I called a few reputable shops that have been in the business for a long time and they all said they do not remove panels. I got my tints done a few months ago (3M) and cannot be happier. No rattles at all
Old 06-18-16, 09:51 AM
BlueAc215
Driver

I had a local shop do my tint when I first got my F Sport. The shop I usually use was booked and I was being impatient. Bad move on my part. I didn't even realize shops took panels off to do tint. By the time I realized that was the plan, my front part was already apart. At that point it was too late to stop him so I just went ahead with it. Once finished I see a scratch on the rear door and he flat out denied doing it. He told me it was already like that, even though the car was a few days old and no one had been in the back seat yet. After going back and forth he then agreed to order me a new panel (which he never did). I get home and find out that the touch sensors on the doors aren't working. So I drive back over to the shop and he has to take the doors back apart to connect the sensors. Moral of the story be patient... Lol
Old 06-18-16, 11:05 AM
vaccaro01
Driver School Candidate

my tint shop took the panels off and it was not a problem. i then later went back and took my own panels off to add dynamat in the doors and did not notice any scratches from the tint shop.

I guess it depends on the shop. not all are created equal, but taking panels off is not necessarily a deal breaker.

Last edited by vaccaro01; 06-18-16 at 11:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-18-16, 12:03 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Mine were removed also but have a crazy rattling sound!
Old 06-18-16, 02:53 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by djrabbi
Mine were removed also but have a crazy rattling sound!
That's why I'm against having to remove the panels , doesn't matter how expert you are there will be some marks/sounds here and there
Old 06-19-16, 08:45 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Any decent auto tint will have a high UV rejection. What makes the ceramic films more appealing is their high IR (heat) rejection.

I could see somebody wanting that "perfect" install but removing door panels to do it? A quality film's adhesive will provide years of reliable service without peeling from the bottom. I've had a few cars tinted without removing door panels and I've never seen the bottom of the film on the window nor had any issues with peeling.

I have had a car tinted with low-quality film and it has major issues with peeling from the bottom.
Old 06-20-16, 10:39 AM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Had my car tinted with 3M tint. No door panels removed no peeling
Old 06-20-16, 02:36 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by vaccaro01
my tint shop took the panels off and it was not a problem. i then later went back and took my own panels off to add dynamat in the doors and did not notice any scratches from the tint shop.

I guess it depends on the shop. not all are created equal, but taking panels off is not necessarily a deal breaker.
Did Dynamat reduce the road noise significantly?
Old 06-20-16, 10:30 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I always get Huper Optik for the heat rejection. 75% of infrared gets trapped in the ceramic. Tint shop never pulls panels. They are very good at their job.
Old 06-20-16, 10:56 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I've never heard of tint shops removing door panels. They should have the right type of tools to get the film down below that rubber/felt piece. The labor involved in removing door panels is crazy, like probably adding an extra hour to the job at least, I can't imagine they could stay competitive price wise.

Although a good tint shop will remove your 3rd brake light. Last time I had tint done I made sure they didn't just cut out around the 3rd brake light, as that looks stupid.
Old 06-20-16, 11:02 PM
newe70
Rookie

I had my car tinted today and the shop did not have to remove both front door panels.
Old 06-21-16, 02:59 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

My tint shop doesnt remove the door, but they remove the squeegee part dust catcher, you sure that's not what he meant when he said door off. I've never heard of the whole panel being taken off.
Old 06-21-16, 01:51 PM
Deven
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had at least 6 cars tinted, and have used different places. None of them removed the door panels, and that included my 911 where the window rolls down 1-2 cm every time the door is opened. Unless they are removing the window there is no reason for them to remove the panel.

10 years ago Huper Optic was considered the best tint, but it was never designed as an auto tint. I have their best tint (Drei) on my 911 and 2003 GS 300. I used their other tint (forgot the name) on my LX 470. The Drei has a bluish hue to it.

Currently I think the best tint on the market is Spectra Photosync. The next best might be the 3M crystalline. I just installed the Spectra Photosync on my GS 450h, and the 3M on my Range Rover. They are all great tints, but the newer tints are designed for cars.

Most tints will have superb UV reduction, it is the IR reduction that will reduce heat. Even though it is 'illegal', you can put 80% tint on the front windshield as well. The best tint for that would be 3M. Thus if you go that route, put 35% Spectra photosync on all windows, and 80% 3M on the front windshield and that will give you the highest heat rejection. I decided against the front windshield, as here in AZ it is common to get chips and cracks due to pebbles, rocks flying and most people end up changing the windshield every few years.

At the end you may need to see the tint in person, and see how it matches with the paint color and interior color. Most of these tints are very good, so the esthetics may influence which brand to get.

Last edited by Deven; 06-21-16 at 02:55 PM.