GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Help with L/CPO delivery question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 01:27 PM
Bomdy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with L/CPO delivery question.

I recently took delivery of a nicely appointed L/Certified Pre-Owned GS FSport. During the negotiation phase the dealer was very straight forward about the changes and repairs this vehicles would undergo while getting certified. However there were some areas in the car that needed extra attention. Both the front and rear bumper had scratches as if either the bumper rubbed a sidewalk or was backed into something. I point those flaws out and they said they would take care of it. They basically did cover the scratches but the finish product was not smooth or even had a clear coat. Next day when I got home, since I took delivery late at night, I was not 100 percent satisfied with the finished product but this being my first used car ever I assumed that an used car would be flawed.
Now as I prepped the vehicle for some wrapping, the vinyl tech pointed out some areas of the bumper that started to peal revealing the original paint underneath, as if it was painted over instead of properly sand blasted and repainted.
The dealer agreed to repair the bumper again without even looking at it, that shows good intentions in their part. Once again they seem like they tried to rush the job, but now i've found other imperfections with the hood, and one doors.
My question for the group is, When you took delivery of your certified pre-own did they show you the 161 Check list and what deficiencies were found, corrected, or were pending? I ask because that form has a space for the customer signature and also spaces for promise dates for any item that does not meets Lexus quality standards.
I never saw such form or signed anything acknowledging the delivery condition. Shoot i was kinda just given the keys, congratulated and waved goodbye.

I'm going back to the dealer in a couple of days and want to have all my facts in order.

Here is a link to the form I found on the lexus pre-owned site.
http://www.lexus.com/documents/broch...t-brochure.pdf

Thanks in advance for any information about how was the delivery of your certified pre-owned. Any delivery checklist?
Old 07-25-16, 03:28 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Sorry to hear about your findings with the paint/finish post-purchase. I had a similar request and after purchasing my CPO GS, I asked 4 separate times for the pre-owned certification checklist. The pre-owned sales manager avoided me at all costs. Phone calls were never returned, my emails never got a response and even when I went in after having an independent mechanic tell me brakes/rotors were awfully worn/rusted/pitted, he was no where to be found in his office or around the dealership for the 2hr block of time I was there.

Essentially, don't expect this documentation to be provided to you, especially after you have already paid for the car. I lived and learned through this process that if you want to buy a CPO car from Lexus and want to see the actual documentation/CPO checklist, ask for it beforehand and require it as part of your own "requirements" for buying the car.

Glad to hear they are taking the car back in - maybe they were hoping you wouldn't notice that they did a "quick and dirty" job with the paint reconditioning.
Old 07-25-16, 03:38 PM
Bomdy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for replying!
They seem responsible, I'm just not the most trusting person, and always try to be the best equipped, when it comes to arguments.
Old 07-25-16, 04:16 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Ouch, sounds like a huge pain in the ***. Definitely not the Lexus CPO quality you would expect.

When I bought my CPO two months ago, they did show me the 161 point checklist. It showed everything including brake and tire life. My rear tires failed the CPO inspection, but they replaced them before even putting the car on their lot. Brakes were near 70%. During our test drive the salesman showed me the checklist and I had to sign off on it during the finance process. Besides the extended warranty, the inspection was mandatory for me, but they were nice enough to show it up front.

Good luck, I hope you get a top quality re-paint.
Old 07-25-16, 05:31 PM
2Squared
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by kamskeez
Ouch, sounds like a huge pain in the ***. Definitely not the Lexus CPO quality you would expect.

When I bought my CPO two months ago, they did show me the 161 point checklist. It showed everything including brake and tire life. My rear tires failed the CPO inspection, but they replaced them before even putting the car on their lot. Brakes were near 70%. During our test drive the salesman showed me the checklist and I had to sign off on it during the finance process. Besides the extended warranty, the inspection was mandatory for me, but they were nice enough to show it up front.

Good luck, I hope you get a top quality re-paint.
This was my experience as well. Even though I was paying cash I also was required to sign off on the checklist.
Old 07-25-16, 09:46 PM
13gs350
Rookie

I have my checklist. It was provided during the sale. There were a bunch of small chips and dings on the front bumper. The dealership actually had a twin car in the back of the lot which didn't have those scratches, but it was sold to a Salesperson. Basically, the Salesperson cherry picked the better of the two. The dealer was firm on the price, but I was able to get them to knock off $500 for the difference between the two cars. NP for me since the plan was to upgrade to an F-Sport bumper anyways.

I actually went there to look at an F-Sport. It was a CPO as well, but the bumper was much more scratched up and dented up on the bottom. In addition to that, it smelled funny...like they were covering up the smell of a smoker with a ton of carpet cleaner. I worked in car rental and sales for a total of four years...I know those warning signs.
Old 07-26-16, 12:28 PM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomdy
I recently took delivery of a nicely appointed L/Certified Pre-Owned GS FSport. During the negotiation phase the dealer was very straight forward about the changes and repairs this vehicles would undergo while getting certified. However there were some areas in the car that needed extra attention. Both the front and rear bumper had scratches as if either the bumper rubbed a sidewalk or was backed into something. I point those flaws out and they said they would take care of it. They basically did cover the scratches but the finish product was not smooth or even had a clear coat. Next day when I got home, since I took delivery late at night, I was not 100 percent satisfied with the finished product but this being my first used car ever I assumed that an used car would be flawed.
Now as I prepped the vehicle for some wrapping, the vinyl tech pointed out some areas of the bumper that started to peal revealing the original paint underneath, as if it was painted over instead of properly sand blasted and repainted.
The dealer agreed to repair the bumper again without even looking at it, that shows good intentions in their part. Once again they seem like they tried to rush the job, but now i've found other imperfections with the hood, and one doors.
My question for the group is, When you took delivery of your certified pre-own did they show you the 161 Check list and what deficiencies were found, corrected, or were pending? I ask because that form has a space for the customer signature and also spaces for promise dates for any item that does not meets Lexus quality standards.
I never saw such form or signed anything acknowledging the delivery condition. Shoot i was kinda just given the keys, congratulated and waved goodbye.

I'm going back to the dealer in a couple of days and want to have all my facts in order.

Here is a link to the form I found on the lexus pre-owned site.
http://www.lexus.com/documents/broch...t-brochure.pdf

Thanks in advance for any information about how was the delivery of your certified pre-owned. Any delivery checklist?
Did you buy the car sight unseen? Which dealership did you buy it from and how did they deliver it to you?
Old 07-26-16, 12:57 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Caveat Emptor!!! Unfortunately when purchasing anything you can't rely on the seller to disclose all the problems. It's always up to you to check everything. That's really hard to do when you are in the thick of making a deal.
Old 07-28-16, 10:08 AM
Bomdy
Driver School Candidate

The car looked so clean, even when it was dirty that I only focused on the abrasion on the bumper, the part that's pealing was not even part of the issues I had them correct.
Old 09-06-16, 08:23 AM
Bomdy
Driver School Candidate

After 2 trips to the dealer, they finally got it right. First attempt they had a painter "fix" the paint, which resulted on a new layer of paint on top of the old one, and we were back to square one. I left the car behind and told them to stop letting Stevie Wander paint and inspect the repairs. I showed them an estimate from a neighboring body-shop and they took the car to a body shop of their choosing. The bumper was taken off the car sanded down and painted properly, now the bumper match 100% the rest of the car. Dealer said they have fired the painter whom not only messed my car up but has been getting away with painting bumpers outside in a tent.

They also gave me the filled inspection form, but big surprise, none of the blemishes including the ones they fixed, were listed. I gave them the form back and said either they were not doing the inspections or some one fake the info in them.
I dont care about the form since they fixed the car, but it goes to tell you that being CPO just gets you some warranty assurances and not necessarily a product that is free of defect.

Although it took a while to sort out, am very happy with the service received from Darcars Lexus Silver Spring in MD.
Old 09-06-16, 09:26 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Have you looked the at full car history report. It took some digging on my end but they do have one they can provide. It included the cpo work that was done just prior to my purchase of the vehicle. The 161 point inspection somehow didn't have the blemish that report said was taken care of. Don't trust the dealer.
Old 09-06-16, 04:34 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

You have to take your time when inspecting a used car. I bought a used 14 RX and spent over an hour inspecting every inch of it before I even considered buying it. The car had 6k miles on it and it was 10 times better than the other one I wanted which had 4k miles on it. The salesman was getting impatient with me and I told him that there were about 10,000 other used RX's to choose from if it bothered him that much. The worst thing to do with any salesman is let him know how much you love the car your looking at. When I bought a new car out of state years back I told the salesman I would not take delivery until I did a thorough inspection of the vehicle. It is hard not to get excited when purchasing a car you really like. Glad the dealer took care of it.
Old 09-07-16, 06:26 PM
mrpink13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exact same boat. done with lexus.