GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mercedes E class

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-16, 11:10 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
Again, watch the reviews. The GS doesn't even make it into the (verbal so far) comparisons, no one even considers the GS in the same ballpark. Not to mention that most of you purists would take the AMG over the GSF. You just don't have the cash
You have your opinion about the MB, and about the GS - and that's great, and welcome in the discusion. But please stop making assumptions about what other folks would prefer, and about the economic status of other folks. That's uncalled for (even with the wink emoticon at the end of your post - whatever that was supposed to mean). Unless you made the list at http://www.businessinsider.com/50-ri...n-earth-2016-1 , stop talking about how "incredibly poor" the rest of the world is.
Old 07-31-16, 01:47 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jj14
You have your opinion about the MB, and about the GS - and that's great, and welcome in the discusion. But please stop making assumptions about what other folks would prefer, and about the economic status of other folks. That's uncalled for (even with the wink emoticon at the end of your post - whatever that was supposed to mean). Unless you made the list at http://www.businessinsider.com/50-ri...n-earth-2016-1 , stop talking about how "incredibly poor" the rest of the world is.
Not meant to offend anymore, just being honest and not very politically correct. I don't have the cash either -- that's why I bought the GS in the 1st place, otherwise I would have gone for the Germans haha

This being said, the idea still holds water: the grapes are sour most of the time because we can't afford them.

And from everything I said, is that the only thing you zeroed in?

Last edited by metrathon; 07-31-16 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-31-16, 01:56 PM
pacmanmmc
Driver School Candidate

This being said, the idea still holds water: the grapes are sour most of the time because we can't afford them.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? I'm sure most that buy a GS are not buying it cause they can't afford a Mercedes-Benz!
You say that you aren't trying to offend anyone and all your comments are just that.
We aren't comparing a $20,000 corolla to an E class.
Old 07-31-16, 02:21 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Look, I get it, I was the only one not singing praise to the GS and bashing the E, so now you're latching on me. I said my comments were not meant to offend so stop beating that poor horse to death, alright? Here, again: I'm sorry, no offense intended. Now let's get back to the thread, ok?

"We aren't comparing a $20,000 corolla to an E class."
We sort of are. I bought my GS 350 for $48k ($53k MSRP). A similar E Class would be around $65k. That is roughly 50% more. So yes, we sort of are comparing a Corolla to an E Class. Now, now, be careful, don't get offended again. It's not me, it's the god damn math

And all this lousy bruhaha you guys picked up over my poor choice of words, I was only talking about the big boys, I was comparing the GS F starting at $85k vs the next E65 AMG at (probably starting $115k). Again, BIG difference. I would love to shake the hand of that individual that given both choices would pick the GS F

Now can we drop this non-sense he said, she said, and stay on point? Pretty please?
Old 07-31-16, 03:35 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And from everything I said, is that the only thing you zeroed in?
Not really - remember I started my post with
You have your opinion about the MB, and about the GS - and that's great, and welcome in the discusion.
So, no, I did read what you wrote, and while I don't agree with some of what you said, and I do agree with some of what you said, it was that one bit which I found rude, and so, I commented on that.

Look, I get it, I was the only one not singing praise to the GS and bashing the E, so now you're latching on me.
I can't speak for the others, but I do welcome a good productive discussion - The GS has its shortcomings, and it has its strengths, and so does the E-class. I for one have no issues with somebody making valid points about any car - if I find a "better" car, I will switch to it - and I'm sure most of the folks here will do that too (as long as they consider the other car to be 'better'

Now let's get back to the thread, ok?
Now can we drop this non-sense he said, she said, and stay on point? Pretty please?
Yes please. I second that
Old 07-31-16, 04:45 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

The Mercedes E300 (base $52150) is a nice car, but I'm not sure if it's $6500 better than the GS200t ($45615 base) or $2000 better than the GS350 ($50000 base). Why get 241hp/273torque in the E300 over the 311hp/280torque in the GS350 if fuel economy isn't something you value? Also, the way they package features raises the E300's MSRP makes it really expensive. Mercedes charges for things that should be standard for a luxury car like keyless go, rear view camera, and heated front seats, and bundles it into a $4000 package that doesn't even include leather seats. If you want the safety technology that they brag and advertise, it's bundled in an expensive $11250 package! That's the only way to get adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist. Mercedes COMAND is just as annoying and convoluted as Lexus Remote Touch.

I don't agree with the statement that people get the GS because they can't afford the German competition...but the Mercedes E300 isn't as refined or luxurious as metrathon tries to argue. Especially since so many Mercedes that I see driving around are usually minimally equipped, so it is missing many features that make it so "refined and luxurious." Some people try to get a smooth, quiet ride over handling and sportiness, which is fine...but the GS handles better than the German competition and offers a lot more for your money.

Also, don't forget that the E-class is newly redesigned for this year. Give the GS a few more years as it finishes this cycle, before the redesign will make the interior as posh (if equipped properly) as the E-class. The upcoming LC gives a good preview of where Lexus is going with interior design. The exterior of the E-class is too boring to discuss; it's classy but way too similar to the C-class. Lexus also probably has a few new engines in the pipeline.
Old 07-31-16, 06:57 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

The big irony is, the E Class are used as taxi cabs in Germany.

Taxi cabs.

Hmmm......

Note: I saw this when I watched the new Jason Bourne move.
Old 07-31-16, 09:10 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
The big irony is, the E Class are used as taxi cabs in Germany.

Taxi cabs.

Hmmm......

Note: I saw this when I watched the new Jason Bourne move.
So what difference does it make , so as our GS being used as a taxi in few countries.
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes E class-photo686.jpg  
Old 08-01-16, 05:02 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Some of you are bashing like a bunch of kids that totally hate the facts

You owning an earlier E Class has no relevance. The new E Class is very different from the older models, and it's the most luxurious car in its class period. Read the reviews. If you find one that says otherwise, post it here.

The reason why E Class 300 feels faster w/o actually being faster is the amount of low end torque. The Merc gives you the same shove at 1,300 rpm that GS gives you at 4,500 rpm. That is called being driver friendly, you are actually using the full torque every minute without having to track your car. Go test drive then post opinions -- it helps with the credibility

It's not sportier than the GS. It's softer and doesn't invite to aggressive driving. But it's also way more quieter, refined and luxurious, it has a different mission.
While I have not driven the new E, I completely agree with you. I've had a 2010 and a 2014 GS. I was amazed at how poorly the 2014 responded to anything less than mashing the throttle to the floor. I have driven a 528 BMW that to your point was much more responsive in real world driving. And it's not just the turbos that account for all of the difference (although the low end torque definitely is a factor as you say). My 2010 GS was far more responsive than the 2014. I attribute it to low end tuning and transmission programming. Too many manufacturers are neutering throttle response to meet fuel economy goals.
Old 08-01-16, 06:39 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

you dont need to sound like a lawyer bro lol its not that serious, let people say whatever they want, were not in court, its a forum. Dont try to suppress others
Old 08-01-16, 06:45 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Different ppl care about different things. My wife doesn't care about what under the hood as long as it's easy to drive. What wrong with that? Do cars have to be sold only to mechanics-turned-race-drivers?

The E 300 trumps the GS in terms of refinement, technology and luxury.
The GS looks and feels old, with the look-at-me-Im-so-dynamic desperate design lines, cartoonish navigation, dated entertainment system, 4 buttons for operating the moonroof and the so-2005 daytime running lights. All you have to show for is driving dynamics and - for those who keep the car more than 6 yrs - reliability.
The E only falls (slightly) behind in areas where your typical E driver doesn't give a damn, like figure 8 and two-wheels turns.

Another thing is that you conveniently keep comparing the GS 350 with the entry level E Class when anything above the E 300 w/ sport package will eat the GS/F for lunch in all aspects. What about the "sporty" GS 200t? Same 2.0L turbo application, but whooops, the E Class got it done so much better. Cat eat you tongue?

Again, watch the reviews. The GS doesn't even make it into the (verbal so far) comparisons, no one even considers the GS in the same ballpark. Not to mention that most of you purists would take the AMG over the GSF. You just don't have the cash
anyone that has a GS can get a E class, pretty much the same price, looking at around ~$500/monthly for both cars, money isnt relevant at all bro. At the end of the day they're both $50k cars and pretty damn similar, idk why your differentiating them so much, they're not that far apart, same class etc. My lease was up and I legit considered the 17 e class, was between that or the 16 GS

What do you even mean by AMG? Theres tons of AMG MB models. If you mean E63 or GSF? **** yeah E63 thats not even a question, those are two diff cars in two diff price ranges though, irrelevant stuff bro

Cant speak on the new redesigned E class never seen or sat in one, but a few of my friends have the 15 e classes and i can confidently say those cars are dirt. Ride is whatever, interior is the dated MB interior design, and its just a regular car, no wows about it. Honestly no different than riding in a hyundai or toyota. You see them as often as you see a camry, real talk right there. Personally I just really hated the interior on those cars, benz finally redesigned it, it was real dated. Why tf would I want to pay $50k for a 4 cylinder engine?

The 16 GS is really nice dude have you ever even been in one? Your probably too old bro younger people love the design on the GS, the front is aggressive as ****. The only time I see people talk **** about the 16 GS design is online, the older crowd is the only ones against it. Only thing you can say about it is the entertainment system and thats lexus as a whole, they need to hire a new development team asap. But the 16 entertainment is nothing like the the older one, complete redesign, believe me on that one, not as bad, still has a few bugs but its tolerable. Last thing the GS is is a old mans car or whatever you meant by that lol, you rarely see any 16 models around it stands out and turns heads

I could've gotten the 17 e class and I'm legit happy I didnt. The GS is amazing

your acting like your a spokesperson for MB. Remember you pay them to drive their car, they dont pay you to drive it

Last edited by Infamous3; 08-01-16 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-01-16, 07:37 AM
RA051823
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

There was a time when Mercedes was known for its reliability and build quality. In my opinion, the W124 and W126 cars were probably the best built and most reliable Mercedes to ever leave the factory. These cars are built like tanks and it showed, even today. I have seen used W124's and W126's with 300k miles on them that look like 50k mile cars, pretty remarkable. Unfortunately in the mid to late 90's Mercedes started cutting corners and it has never been the same since. Even though I think Mercedes quality is improving I still wouldn't own one of these cars out of warranty. If any of you are thinking BMW might be better don't bother, in my opinion BMW is absolute crap! Our BMW ownership experience was the most horrific car experience we have ever had. I have 30 year old Porsche's that are more reliable than the crap that comes out of Bavaria.
Old 08-01-16, 10:29 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I don't have a real problem with the new E class, but the styling does not appeal to me. I don't like the current design of the C, E or S class right now. I prefer the styling of the GS.
Old 08-01-16, 10:49 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I don't have a real problem with the new E class, but the styling does not appeal to me. I don't like the current design of the C, E or S class right now. I prefer the styling of the GS.
+1 when I got the F Sports the E class wasn't even a contender and it's too boring the only other competition was a Bmw 535 , which I didn't get cas its the same style and shape what I had in 2012.
Old 08-01-16, 11:10 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
You'd be surprised how many people buy the Mercedes and not even care about how it handles (as long as it is smooth) or what is under the hood. All they care about is having that badge on their car.
I remember reading something on the internet a while ago saying majority of MB owners do not know if their car is RWD or AWD. Which goes to show, most MB drivers are clueless about specs.

Quick Reply: Mercedes E class