GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Alloy wheels, soft

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-16, 07:58 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alloy wheels, soft

first incident, my fault, rubbed curb in winter pulling into a space front first. Had repaired, looked great. Been very careful, never explained about the warranty for wheels, at least not how delicate these wheels are. So I am cleaning my car, noticed the drivers side right rear wheel with rash. Scratching my head, no curb rub, no pot hole hit so what happened? Not sure I want to fix if these are so delicate, lexus has said no to me buying the protection now (dealer has reported this). So can I buy a stronger steel rim that will look good and hold up better.

2015 GS AWD.

Thanks
Old 08-04-16, 11:12 PM
mrpink13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BB11
first incident, my fault, rubbed curb in winter pulling into a space front first. Had repaired, looked great. Been very careful, never explained about the warranty for wheels, at least not how delicate these wheels are. So I am cleaning my car, noticed the drivers side right rear wheel with rash. Scratching my head, no curb rub, no pot hole hit so what happened? Not sure I want to fix if these are so delicate, lexus has said no to me buying the protection now (dealer has reported this). So can I buy a stronger steel rim that will look good and hold up better.

2015 GS AWD.

Thanks
you want them to be more durable rubbing hard surfaces? what is a drivers side right rear wheel? someone at the dealership or another repair facility could have damaged the wheel.
Old 08-05-16, 04:40 AM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrpink13
you want them to be more durable rubbing hard surfaces? what is a drivers side right rear wheel? someone at the dealership or another repair facility could have damaged the wheel.
i did not see this after tires were rotated. Even after washing car by hand a few times. I cannot accuse them of this.
Old 08-05-16, 08:43 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Steel wheels will be very heavy. It's just one of the disadvantages of having low profile tires. Just gotta be more careful.
Old 08-05-16, 09:59 AM
BB11
Intermediate

I never felt or heard anything. Have no idea. I didn't think my Pirelli tires are LP, but they are, just not those little bit of rubber hitting the road that I always associate with low profile. Tires were subbed at my request by dealer. I am so careful it makes me nuts, but I do love the car.

Last edited by BB11; 09-14-16 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-05-16, 12:06 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hahaha do you drink alot or something? Had this car for 3 years, park it on the street at least twice a week and never curbed it once. Then again, I did set my mirrors to aim down so I can see curbs when I put it in reverse, and watch the backup cam on the screen also.
Old 08-05-16, 12:30 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Hahaha do you drink alot or something? Had this car for 3 years, park it on the street at least twice a week and never curbed it once. Then again, I did set my mirrors to aim down so I can see curbs when I put it in reverse, and watch the backup cam on the screen also.
I've parked in front of my job, 5 days a week, for the past 3 years and scraped the curb once. I think my success rate is pretty darn good lol.
Old 08-05-16, 03:03 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
not nice or funny. Don't drink at all. First time was snowing and i messed up, have no idea about what happened. Still your reply is flip at best.
Old 08-05-16, 03:04 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I've parked in front of my job, 5 days a week, for the past 3 years and scraped the curb once. I think my success rate is pretty darn good lol.
it sure is. I have been looking at cars with alloy wheels lately, about 50/50 so far on rims that are scratched.
Old 08-05-16, 09:51 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

No wheels are scratch proof, steelies will get damaged too when rubbing against concrete. I know the paint on my FSport wheels are very soft and will scratch by just looking at it.

Best thing to do is park far away from curbs and don't let anyone drive ur car, limit dealer visits is the best thing to do. Most of my damages are caused by dealer. The latest one is a scratch on my dash.

I bought the wheel and tire warranty and so far I've gotten 2 new tires and 1 wheel paint fixed. That's about a grand already so it already paid itself off for me. I only paid $250 for it 2 years ago.
Old 08-06-16, 02:06 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BB11
not nice or funny. Don't drink at all. First time was snowing and i messed up, have no idea about what happened. Still your reply is flip at best.
I guess I'm not up on the lingo these days so I'm not sure what "is flip" means in this context, but hidden in my reply was a hint to help you in the future. Make sure you have the side mirrors set to pivot down and show you the curb when you put the car in reverse. It's very easy to set.

1. With your car running and in park, hit the mirror button to activate the driver's side, side mirror.
2. Put the car in reverse and with your foot on the brake, adjust it so you can see part of your car and the ground.
3. Hit the button for the right side mirror and make the same adjustment. Honestly, it's easier to do this when you're next to a curb so you get a good idea of proper aim.
4. Put the car back into park. Your mirrors should reset to the normal setting. Put the car into reverse again with your foot on the brake to ensure they are set properly and aim down.

There you have it. It helps alot having these set right and your keyfob will save these settings to your preference set.