GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rear window vandalized! Cleanup/repair advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-16, 07:19 PM
KngPenguin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window vandalized! Cleanup/repair advice?

Went to leave for work and when I closed the driver's door I heard a noise. It was part of the rear window falling. My '13 GS350 that I purchased in January got hit by vandals last night. Normally park in the garage but didn't last night. Really frustrating.

Does anyone have advice for cleaning up the broken glass other than using my shop vac? There are a few small pieces of glass in the rear seat area. Is it hard to remove the rear seat back/bottoms? I'd like to vacuum and shake them out.

I have a quote on replacement Lexus glass of $950 for the part. Getting an aftermarket quote tomorrow. I'm inclined to go with original and I think it won't matter much with insurance covering anything past my deductible.
Attached Thumbnails Rear window vandalized! Cleanup/repair advice?-20160818_084047-copy.jpg  
Old 08-18-16, 09:44 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Damn man that sucks!
Old 08-19-16, 06:46 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Wow, that's terrible. Now for the big question, did they hurt the MR2?

Most rear seat (bottom) cushions come out easily, but I cannot quite figure out how to remove mine either. Feel along the bottom edge (where the bottom seat cushion meets the carpet) and you'll notice clips/mounting points - one on each side of the bottom cushion. Normally these just pop out. My Acura had a tab that you pulled towards the front of the car and it would release the clip. Hopefully someone else can chime in that has successfully removed them.

I agree that this would be a much more thorough way to clean all the tiny pieces of glass.
Old 08-19-16, 06:49 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Maybe this will help:

Old 08-19-16, 07:36 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I hate people. Sorry about the glass. Insurance is covering how much? Hopefully you have a low deductible.
Old 08-19-16, 07:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

So my wife broke out the back window in her M3 recently (different circumstance, she was trying to remove it intact) and she had the following advice.

1) Definitely remove the rear seat asap to keep from more damage (vacuum carefully first). Watch out for cuts on the leather and if you have some make sure your insurance covers the repair.
2) Shop vac is your primary weapon - get everything up you can see after you get the leather out.
3) Once you do, she recommended you put down some paper or a dropcloth over everything you can because glass will keep falling out every time you touch anything and will also shower down when the professional come to remove your window and replace it (although they'll probably have their own)
4) Also use masking tape to cover up any carpet edges where glass shards could get in that are exposed from removing the seats
5) You should have expectation the window guys doing the repair will take care of the rest

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-19-16 at 08:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-16, 07:59 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

go OEM 10 chars
Old 08-19-16, 08:10 AM
KngPenguin
Driver School Candidate

DallasDave, Thanks for the video. And no, the MR2 was untouched.

DaveGS4, that's great advice. I started the cleanup with the shopvac and occasionally bits go flying so a drop cloth is in order.

It sounds like insurance may cover taking it to the dealership for seat removal and cleanup. If so, I'll do that. Definitely getting OEM glass. Deductible is $500 and aftermarket glass is more than that.
Old 08-19-16, 08:25 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

go OEM or else the heat on rear wont' be as strong.
Old 08-19-16, 10:51 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep, always, always replace with OEM. Years ago, insurance companies would cheap out and go aftermarket every chance they got. Reform laws were passed and insurance companies can only give recommendations now and if you insist on OEM, you get OEM, and you even pick the shop that replaces it.
Old 08-19-16, 01:05 PM
KngPenguin
Driver School Candidate

OEM it is. All set for Monday with the glass company that the dealership recommends.

I'm concerned about glass that fell in the rear automatic sunshade. Once the new window is in place, I'm going to ask the dealership to disassemble the sunshade to clean it out along with pulling out the rear seats. I'll have to submit that expense to the insurance company for reimbursement. Hopefully they don't hassle me about it.

Not a lot of DIY videos and explanations out there for the 4th Gen GS yet. I'm used to the MR2 where everything's been taken apart and documented in excruciating detail online.
Old 08-19-16, 03:10 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Yep, always, always replace with OEM. Years ago, insurance companies would cheap out and go aftermarket every chance they got. Reform laws were passed and insurance companies can only give recommendations now and if you insist on OEM, you get OEM, and you even pick the shop that replaces it.
Does that apply for all States? Last time I had to use insurance for a repair, they called out aftermarket parts and told me and the bodyshop I would have to pay the difference if I wanted OEM. The difference was about $30 for the bumper cover so it was not a big deal.
Old 08-21-16, 06:37 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Does that apply for all States? Last time I had to use insurance for a repair, they called out aftermarket parts and told me and the bodyshop I would have to pay the difference if I wanted OEM. The difference was about $30 for the bumper cover so it was not a big deal.
I went through this with my previous car and had to debate with my insurance company. I wanted OEM glass/windshield and they wanted a less expensive option. The car had rain sensing wipers, active cruise, etc. After I insisted, the insurance company finally agreed.

So, if it's glass I think you have the advantage. Now for bumpers/body panels I'm not certain, but here's my logic (and my argument to my insurance company): if using non-OEM parts can lower the value of my vehicle I strictly refuse to allow them to use them.

Here are some interesting articles:
http://thelawdictionary.org/article/...n-connecticut/

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/rpt/2009-R-0398.htm

http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/...ts-rights.html
Old 08-21-16, 06:53 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Always go OEM! Especially if you are going through insurance.