GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

ECO Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 09:55 AM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by atrac7
Is this common? Where members deviate away from "Premium Only"?
I never tried it to save 3.00 a fill up not really worth it for me.
Old 08-24-16, 09:58 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

It's ridiculous seeing how cheap gas is these days to try regular when you're driving a GS. Reminds me of the time I saw a dude in an E class putting in only $10 into his car. Times must have been rough.
Old 08-24-16, 11:41 AM
jdigga99
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by praetor
It's ridiculous seeing how cheap gas is these days to try regular when you're driving a GS. Reminds me of the time I saw a dude in an E class putting in only $10 into his car. Times must have been rough.
Haha the toughest of times wow. A friend of mine has a 911 and whenever he takes it in for services it's with the least amount of gas possible. Paranoia about them driving it around or something i guess idk
Old 08-24-16, 02:57 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 143 Posts

On the hybrid, switching to ECO mode makes a difference because the car switches to electric only driving much faster, allows you to stay in electric power only mode much longer while accelerating off the line (that's probably more do with adjusting the throttle input), and helps your vehicle slow down quicker while redirecting the engine rpm to charging your batteries.

I am constantly playing with my mode selector switch. I change the mode depending on what I'm doing/about to do - i.e. accelerating while on the on-ramp as I get on the highway (Sport/Sport+), cornering quickly (Sport+), stop & go traffic (Eco), driving in my neighborhood - which has a speed limit of 30 mph (Eco), just everyday cruising (Normal or Sport), heavily raining outside (Sport+ since it keeps the tires the most planted), etc.

To each their own,

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 08-25-16 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08-24-16, 07:28 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Eco is really just designed for stop and go and city traffic. If you enable it for long highway trips it will actually hurt mileage because throttle response is slow. If I'm stuck in bumper to bumper and it's not 100 degrees I'll flip to Eco until traffic eases up.
Old 08-24-16, 09:55 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

I never use Eco mode (tried maybe twice and hated it). I'm in a habit of switching to Sport S+ as soon as I start the car. I love the instant throttle response, heavier steering, downshift of transmission under heavy braking, and stiff suspension. The other modes feel unnatural to me now.
Old 08-24-16, 10:25 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
I never use Eco mode (tried maybe twice and hated it). I'm in a habit of switching to Sport S+ as soon as I start the car. I love the instant throttle response, heavier steering, downshift of transmission under heavy braking, and stiff suspension. The other modes feel unnatural to me now.
S+ makes me too aware of imperfect pavement. Lots of highways have little waves and junk in them even though they normally feel pretty flat. In a recent trip to Houston and back I had it in S+ and had to turn it off once or twice because I started thinking something was wrong with the tires or wheels.
Old 08-24-16, 11:04 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by atrac7
Is this common? Where members deviate away from "Premium Only"?
http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...g-premium.html

Old 08-24-16, 11:57 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

ECO mode 95% of the time, S+ the other 5%.

Most of my driving is poor-traffic stop & go, so I prefer the relaxed throttle response. If I need to get on it a bit, a heavy foot fixes that. I'll switch into S+ when I'm alone in the car, traffic is clear, and some fun corners await me.

Even at 100+F outside, ECO keeps me cool inside. Then again, I did go for a white car in this heat.
Old 08-26-16, 11:03 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

My argument is I would buy a corolla if I had to save 500 per year extra on gas, I wonder why the expensive cars even have a Eco mode don't the manufacturer know ppl who are buying don't wanna drive a slow gas saving car. Just a thought.
Old 08-26-16, 11:32 PM
mrpink13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
My argument is I would buy a corolla if I had to save 500 per year extra on gas, I wonder why the expensive cars even have a Eco mode don't the manufacturer know ppl who are buying don't wanna drive a slow gas saving car. Just a thought.
it has an eco mode because its an AUTOMATIC. you still have 300+ hp. in a corolla you dont. ever. i see a lot of old ladies/men driving gs's, and again i feel like i have to remind everyone the gs is not a lamborgini.
Old 08-26-16, 11:41 PM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

I drive in sport+ 95% of the time with the apexi controller on boost 2 (purple). I hate driving in eco, makes the car feel so sluggish.
Old 08-27-16, 05:10 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Marketing bandwidth.

The GS 350/450h hits a huge market by being so versatile. A car that can 0-60 sub-6s and get pretty decent mileage (literally changing on the fly from slug to jack rabbit) hits a greater expanse of buyers than say a Ferrari. Purpose drives it too. Fuel efficient vehicle in this generation have been killing it (at their respective levels). One of my kids drives an Hyundai Elantra, the other a Mini Cooper because they're cheap and generally pretty reliable. If they could afford more, they'd probably have more...maybe. How many settled for a 2.0L CTS to keep mileage up but have the Cadillac badge? or a 6-cyl Ford Mustang?

I guess it just boils down to preference and where you choose to spend your money. Sport/+ probably is the lesser efficiency modes of the GS but obviously some choose that over Eco. YOLO...haha.
Old 08-29-16, 08:27 AM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Call the mode what you want, I think 'ECO' is a bit of a misnomer as I don't think it makes much of a difference in the car's gas mileage. I do find the slower throttle response helpful in stop/go driving. Maybe they should've called it "relaxed" mode instead of "ECO."
Old 08-29-16, 10:50 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I only use it in bad traffic and long highway drives. I tried the ECO mode in a CT and Prius and went WTF!! It barely moves in Normal and Sport.

Quick Reply: ECO Mode