GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-19, 01:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,542 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
I will need to pin down what they've given me estimates for. I asked for OEM which would not mean to me, equivalent, so given that, could the Lexus OEM glass be that cheap, $500 or so, or is it always $1000.00 plus?
Lexus 'branded' glass will almost always be the most expensive. However, Lexus 'branded' glass will always be your best choice in terms of quality, making sure that Lexus options and features work correctly, and making sure it meets the original Lexus standards...
Old 04-19-19, 01:47 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Here's one for you. I just had my windshield replaced a few weeks ago. My GS has rain sensor, HUD, night-vision, and cold heater.

I called my insurance Geico, who said that they will not put a OEM/Factory windshield and that the policy conditions specifies an equivilant (aftermarket) windshield is fine. They said that if I wanted Factory, I would have to pay almost $600 extra on top of my deductible. ($600 is the price difference between OEM/factory vs. aftermarket glass)

I then contacted a reputable windshield shop that I had planned on using. The shop told me that based on the options I have, the only choice is Factory because aftermarket windshields are not available for cars with those options. They called Geico, cleared it up, got proper approval, and factory glass was installed!

I wonder what kind of glass Geico if I didn't push them. WOuld they have forced an improper windshield onto my car? I think it's worthwhile to work with a reputable glass shop that has working knowledging of your insurance company. They can push for OEM/factory much stronger than we can ourselves.
Old 04-19-19, 02:08 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by azipod
Here's one for you. I just had my windshield replaced a few weeks ago. My GS has rain sensor, HUD, night-vision, and cold heater.

I called my insurance Geico, who said that they will not put a OEM/Factory windshield and that the policy conditions specifies an equivilant (aftermarket) windshield is fine. They said that if I wanted Factory, I would have to pay almost $600 extra on top of my deductible. ($600 is the price difference between OEM/factory vs. aftermarket glass)

I then contacted a reputable windshield shop that I had planned on using. The shop told me that based on the options I have, the only choice is Factory because aftermarket windshields are not available for cars with those options. They called Geico, cleared it up, got proper approval, and factory glass was installed!

I wonder what kind of glass Geico if I didn't push them. WOuld they have forced an improper windshield onto my car? I think it's worthwhile to work with a reputable glass shop that has working knowledging of your insurance company. They can push for OEM/factory much stronger than we can ourselves.
I'm glad you brought this up because many luxury automobiles nowadays have options and features that requires windshields that are 'only' available from the car maker's original supplier and branded with the car brand so you know it is correct.

thallium - If you want some interesting reading about an aftermarket windshield that caused havoc for the owner, read THIS.

Last edited by bclexus; 04-19-19 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-19-19, 04:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm glad you brought this up because many luxury automobiles nowadays have options and features that requires windshields that are 'only' available from the car maker's original supplier and branded with the car brand so you know it is correct.

thallium - If you want some interesting reading about an aftermarket windshield that caused havoc for the owner, read THIS.
thallium - Did you find the above linked thread thought-provoking?

Last edited by bclexus; 04-19-19 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-19-19, 04:35 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
thallium - Did you find the above referenced thread thought-provoking?
Well, I read chunks and skimmed the rest - it's long - but not sure what my main take away should be. Get OEM glass so I don't have a leaky windshield (not actually sure what caused their leak). Or, ambiguity about what OEM actually means to some people?

If I have to pay $1,200.00 to get Lexus printed on my windshield, I'm not sure it's that important. If I'm getting OEM glass without a Lexus logo I'm fine with that but I still don't know what they're offering me for $500.00. The glass I have right now is AGC (Aashi Glass Corp) and there is a Lexus logo. The one guy I spoke to had my VIN that I gave him as he said there are various options that require different glass. Based on mine, a luxury w/out wiper deicer and no LKA or anything else except auto wipers he gave the price and said that it was the right glass for auto wipers and with acoustic barrier, which I didn't know I had. Maybe all models have the acoustic glass?
Old 04-19-19, 04:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by thallium
Well, I read chunks and skimmed the rest - it's long - but not sure what my main take away should be. Get OEM glass so I don't have a leaky windshield (not actually sure what caused their leak). Or, ambiguity about what OEM actually means to some people?

If I have to pay $1,200.00 to get Lexus printed on my windshield, I'm not sure it's that important. If I'm getting OEM glass without a Lexus logo I'm fine with that but I still don't know what they're offering me for $500.00. The glass I have right now is AGC (Aashi Glass Corp) and there is a Lexus logo. The one guy I spoke to had my VIN that I gave him as he said there are various options that require different glass. Based on mine, a luxury w/out wiper deicer and no LKA or anything else except auto wipers he gave the price and said that it was the right glass for auto wipers and with acoustic barrier, which I didn't know I had. Maybe all models have the acoustic glass?
If you want the original quality of glass and fitment then the windshield you buy must have the Lexus branded logo on it and be made by AGC (Asahi Glass Corp.). Anything else is a crap shoot. Then next comes the quality of the installation...

Last edited by bclexus; 04-19-19 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-09-23, 07:16 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 274 Likes on 236 Posts

Ugh. Looks like I’m in the market for a windshield. I also have Geico. Anyone with advice or recent experiences?
Old 02-13-23, 01:22 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 274 Likes on 236 Posts

Wish me luck. Filed a claim with Geico that was accepted almost immediately. All done from an easy to use app. I choose my own shop. They haven’t said anything about aftermarket yet. We will see how this goes
The following users liked this post:
Mangsailor (02-13-23)
Old 02-14-23, 07:58 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by lexo98
Wish me luck. Filed a claim with Geico that was accepted almost immediately. All done from an easy to use app. I choose my own shop. They haven’t said anything about aftermarket yet. We will see how this goes
I had Geico. Once you file a claim, a local windshield company will contact you. Usually Safelite and they'll approve an aftermarket glass. You can get OEM glass through Safelite, but you would need to request and pay the difference.
Old 02-14-23, 08:23 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I have Geico and am working through getting my Tundra's windshield replaced. I picked my glass shop first. I have a local one who only uses OEM branded glass. The glass shop contacted Geico and got it all approved. Super easy. Safelite will never, ever touch one of my vehicles again.