GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why no A/C in back seat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-16, 11:36 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sheefo2k
Does anyone read the owners manual anymore? It explains what features you have, how to use them and what their purpose.
Nope, very few people read the manuals anymore.

Per the manual:
When the S-FLOW mode button is

pressed, the airflow changes as follows.

Without rear air conditioning system:

Air flows to the front seats only.*

With rear air conditioning system:

Air flows to the front seats only, and if

the passenger seat is unoccupied, the

set temperature, outside humidity and

temperature inside the cabin are

assessed, and air flows to the driver

seat only.*

*: Air may also flow to the rear seats

depending on the situation.

Old 09-05-16, 06:03 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sheefo2k
Does anyone read the owners manual anymore? It explains what features you have, how to use them and what their purpose.
Yeah. All three of them. Which were like a hundred pages or so each. So pardon the F out of me for just commenting on the board with a question. DB.
Old 09-05-16, 07:02 PM
atrac7
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure always if "S FLOW" is working. I have the button turned on, and nobody sitting in the front passenger seat. But if I hover my hands over the vents for the passengers, I can feel cool air flow? Am I doing something wrong that is "overriding" the S flow?
Old 09-05-16, 07:55 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Why would I want my car (a small enclosed space) to not have A/C air flow throughout the entire cabin area? The last thing I want is to get in a 135° car on a hot 105° day and have the A/C venting cool air only on me in the driver's seat. I don't want the back of my head hot from lack of airflow in the rear seat. And, I don't want my right shoulder hot from lack of airflow toward the empty passenger seat. I want the entire inside of my car to be comfortable. I think the S-FLOW feature is worthless...and stupid. Maybe someone can tell me what purpose the S-FLOW feature serves. If it is to save me a penny at the expense of me being comfortable then the Lexus/Toyota engineers need to spend their time and effort elsewhere that better suits people's needs.
Living even further south in the same state, I get some of your point. While this is a matter of personal preference, you in part answered your own question why somebody may want it -- when you get into a hot 135° car on a hot 105° day and you're the only person in the car, concentrating all the A/C's cooling power onto you will help you feel cooler faster. Equally if you get in and are just burning up, maybe high metabolism after chugging a mug of morning coffee and a good breakfast, it could be handy. The inverse being the case for heating when (presumably somewhere far north of TX) winter sets in.

As you alluded to, concentrating the cooling power doesn't cool the car down faster, just blows more/colder/hotter air onto the driver. And when you have passengers, it senses that and adjusts.

When I've tried it, I didn't notice any additional hot air in the car that annoyed me.
Old 09-06-16, 05:04 AM
mrpink13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Why would I want my car (a small enclosed space) to not have A/C air flow throughout the entire cabin area? The last thing I want is to get in a 135° car on a hot 105° day and have the A/C venting cool air only on me in the driver's seat. I don't want the back of my head hot from lack of airflow in the rear seat. And, I don't want my right shoulder hot from lack of airflow toward the empty passenger seat. I want the entire inside of my car to be comfortable. I think the S-FLOW feature is worthless...and stupid. Maybe someone can tell me what purpose the S-FLOW feature serves. If it is to save me a penny at the expense of me being comfortable then the Lexus/Toyota engineers need to spend their time and effort elsewhere that better suits people's needs.
Don't turn on s-flow on a 105 degree day. its quite an innovative feature in terms of efficiency which is where all the new car tech seems to be going. i used to do this manually on all my cars when i was the only one in it.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-06-16 at 10:58 AM. Reason: insult