GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Akebono vs Centric vs Brembo vs Stoptech - Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 12:13 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Huh, wonder why Lexus doesn't use one of those brand's brake pads?
Typically when it comes to brake pads, theres no free rides. They either perform well/dust a lot/wear quickly (as the stock Lexus pads do, same as BMW and Porsche, etc) or they last a long time, don't dust, bite not as good.

Lexus chose to go the performance route. Ever wonder why BMWs from the 2000s are always seen with dirty black wheels from brake dust but at the same time were praised by automotive journalists all over the world for having the "Best Brakes in the Business"? That's why. Because they perform.

Will brake pads that don't dust as much stop your car just as fast as stock? Yes and no. It's not really about how fast your car can stop, but rather the feel, cold bite, and how fast you can stop multiple times. All these characteristics must be taken into account when a manufacturer chooses a supplier for their pads. There's also pricing and servicing considerations as well. Cars like Camrys, Corollas, Civics, etc. dont need brakes that necessarily perform so naturally they don't dust. Manufacturer's dont dust their premium cars with dusty brake pads just for the heck of it. There's a good reason. So by choosing an alternative brake pad due to dust considerations, just know there is going to be some sacrifice somewhere that may not be realized in your particular daily driving habits. (Which is fine for most people) but that doesn't win praise of automotive journalists and cars that don't get praise don't sell as well.
Old 09-07-16, 01:51 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpartsman
here is my experience as wholesaler and I have used all these brands
Akebono is the best no noise and no dust its one of my best pads I have ever used in my life.
Centric pads are very good low brake dust and no noise and that all depends how good ur rotors are.
Brembo just hit the market so u cant compare it to the real Brembo pads those are whole different material they use, they are not bad but I have not used it on a GS before.
Stoptech is the same as Centric same company, the 309 series is very good pads lots of dust, but stops good specially when they warm up I had those on my BBK .
so I would use the Akebono specially those guys with the F-Sport package and they wont replace the 2 pc rotors and they gonna pad slap it, those pads work great.
I'm curious how Akebono compares to a stock OEM pads (for a non-fsport GS 350/hybrid). For casual and some mild spirited driving.. would there be a reason to change? I experience zero brake dust from my stock pads and they grip fairly well.

Would appreciate your insight,

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 09-07-16 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 04:32 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Well lots of OEM pads on Lexus is Akebono or sumitomo and now they are changing it to Advics, if you look on the caliper there should be a casting on it it says Advics, just like the rotors are also, all depends I never understood y do they keep on changing it unless the company dont want to make pads any more , or they just want to try something new, but I I will take Akebono pads over anything , and specially German cars the guys love it there is no brake dust and BMW and MB is known for that.
Old 09-07-16, 04:41 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Typically when it comes to brake pads, theres no free rides. They either perform well/dust a lot/wear quickly (as the stock Lexus pads do, same as BMW and Porsche, etc) or they last a long time, don't dust, bite not as good.

Lexus chose to go the performance route. Ever wonder why BMWs from the 2000s are always seen with dirty black wheels from brake dust but at the same time were praised by automotive journalists all over the world for having the "Best Brakes in the Business"? That's why. Because they perform.

Will brake pads that don't dust as much stop your car just as fast as stock? Yes and no. It's not really about how fast your car can stop, but rather the feel, cold bite, and how fast you can stop multiple times. All these characteristics must be taken into account when a manufacturer chooses a supplier for their pads. There's also pricing and servicing considerations as well. Cars like Camrys, Corollas, Civics, etc. dont need brakes that necessarily perform so naturally they don't dust. Manufacturer's dont dust their premium cars with dusty brake pads just for the heck of it. There's a good reason. So by choosing an alternative brake pad due to dust considerations, just know there is going to be some sacrifice somewhere that may not be realized in your particular daily driving habits. (Which is fine for most people) but that doesn't win praise of automotive journalists and cars that don't get praise don't sell as well.
Some years ago a neighbor had aftermarket brake pads put on his BMW M3 to reduce the brake dust. He was 'into' having some racing mods on his street-driven M3. The fact is the new aftermarket brake pads he had installed didn't have the cold bite that his BMW OEM dusty pads had. The new pads were advertised to be 'low dust' and high-performance, but in reality they were more for track use and not a good choice for normal use on the streets. The new pads required the brakes to be heated-up before they had good stopping performance - something you just don't do with a street vehicle.

Long story short, he left his house one day on a cool fall morning and drove about ½ mile on a city street at 40 mph. He came to an stoplight intersection where the car ahead of him stopped rather abruptly when the light turned yellow. He was not following too closely, but when he applied his brakes his car did not stop in time because his [aftermarket] brakes were cold and didn't have the cold bite that vehicles with factory brakes universally have. His car rear-ended the car in front of him at relatively slow speed and the car he hit was pushed across the intersection where it was T-boned by a Ford F-350 pulling a heavily loaded trailer. One dead, one critically injured, and a seriously injured toddler.

Tail of the tape - the driver of the BMW, who caused the deadly accident, complained that his brakes did not stop his car quick enough. He blamed the brakes for the accident. He was asked if he had any brake work done recently... The brake pads he chose were chosen by him because they produced less brake dust yet was advertised to have equal or better stopping performance...but ONLY after the brakes were heated-up to optimum temperature, which is typical of many high-end aftermarket brake pads.

Bottom line - that man will never get over the fact that he caused the death of an 30-something year-old woman (cardiologist); the mother of a toddler child and the wife of a loving husband (anesthesiologist). The BMW owner was sued for many times the man's vehicle insurance coverage. I never heard what the final settlement totaled, but it entailed both medical as well a wrongful death personal injury lawsuit. The wrongful death personal injury lawsuit brought against the BMW owner was rumored to be for many millions of dollars that far exceeded the man's vehicle insurance coverage, as well as exceeding his net worth. Within 18 months the BMW owner (orthodontist, husband and father of two) filed for bankruptcy. I'd say this man made a very bad decision on which brake pads to install to reduce brake dust...

Last edited by bclexus; 09-07-16 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 04:50 PM
protocol71
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kamskeez
Hi everyone. I did a search and found most people on here who desire low brake dust replacing their OEM pads with either Akebono, Centric, Brembo or Stoptech pads. I was wondering if anybody had recommendations of one over the other? Looking for low dust, low noise, and OEM/high stopping power.

Here are the specific pads I'm looking at:
- Akebono - ProAct Ceramic Pads (#ACT1118)
- Centric - Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads (#105.11180)
- Brembo - Ceramic Brake Pads (#P83072N)
- Stoptech - Sport Pads (#309.11180) (not ceramic, but claims low dust)

I have a '14 RWD F-Sport and will be getting my front rotors turned within the next week. I figured it'd be a good time to replace the pads as I'm tired of the crazy amounts of brake dust from the OEM pads. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Part# listed for those centrics are showing awd not rwd.
Old 09-07-16, 05:18 PM
Runamok81
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Some years ago a neighbor had aftermarket brake pads put on his BMW M3 to reduce the brake dust. He was 'into' having some racing mods on his street-driven M3. The fact is the new aftermarket brake pads he had installed didn't have the cold bite that his BMW OEM dusty pads had. The new pads were advertised to be 'low dust' and high-performance, but in reality they were more for track use and not a good choice for normal use on the streets. The new pads required the brakes to be heated-up before they had good stopping performance - something you just don't do with a street vehicle.

Long story short, he left his house one day on a cool fall morning and drove about ½ mile on a city street at 40 mph. He came to an stoplight intersection where the car ahead of him stopped rather abruptly when the light turned yellow. He was not following too closely, but when he applied his brakes his car did not stop in time because his [aftermarket] brakes were cold and didn't have the cold bite that vehicles with factory brakes universally have. His car rear-ended the car in front of him at relatively slow speed and the car he hit was pushed across the intersection where it was T-boned by a Ford F-350 pulling a heavily loaded trailer. One dead, one critically injured, and a seriously injured toddler.

Tail of the tape - the driver of the BMW, who caused the deadly accident, complained that his brakes did not stop his car quick enough. He blamed the brakes for the accident. He was asked if he had any brake work done recently... The brake pads he chose were chosen by him because they produced less brake dust yet was advertised to have equal or better stopping performance...but ONLY after the brakes were heated-up to optimum temperature, which is typical of many high-end aftermarket brake pads.

Bottom line - that man will never get over the fact that he caused the death of an 30-something year-old woman (cardiologist); the mother of a toddler child and the wife of a loving husband (anesthesiologist). The BMW owner was sued for many times the man's vehicle insurance coverage. I never heard what the final settlement totaled, but it entailed both medical as well a wrongful death personal injury lawsuit. The wrongful death personal injury lawsuit brought against the BMW owner was rumored to be for many millions of dollars that far exceeded the man's vehicle insurance coverage, as well as exceeding his net worth. Within 18 months the BMW owner (orthodontist, husband and father of two) filed for bankruptcy. I'd say this man made a very bad decision on which brake pads to install to reduce brake dust...
TL;DR Don't use race pads on the street, unless you wanna kill someone.
The following users liked this post:
engin_ear (09-11-20)
Old 09-07-16, 07:49 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Well that's just scary. Sheesh.
Old 09-07-16, 07:50 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Major thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I'll be going with the Akebono's. Thanks!
Old 09-07-16, 07:53 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Originally Posted by protocol71
Part# listed for those centrics are showing awd not rwd.
Tire Rack gave me that part #. A couple other online parts stores showed the same.
Old 09-07-16, 08:09 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

People who have Akebono pads on the FSports pls chime in how is it holding , I have read on other threads Duralast gold 1586 to be low noise and with good stopping power. I have to change mine but debating which route to go.
Attached Thumbnails Akebono vs Centric vs Brembo vs Stoptech - Brake Pads-photo79.jpg  

Last edited by Dallasguy1; 09-12-16 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 09:56 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Anyone can update who's using the akebono on the fsports. Thanks
Old 09-13-16, 11:38 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what type of rotors did you guys end up using?
Old 09-13-16, 05:25 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by neegroy
what type of rotors did you guys end up using?
I got the StopTech slotted rotors
Old 09-14-16, 09:37 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

if you drive your car hard, I wouldn't go ceramic for the fronts..

The cold and initial bite isn't there compared to the OEM..

I've tried Akebonos and regretted it.
Old 09-14-16, 11:56 AM
homeboyv
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
People who have Akebono pads on the FSports pls chime in how is it holding , I have read on other threads Duralast gold 1586 to be low noise and with good stopping power. I have to change mine but debating which route to go.
I've had them on my FSport for about a month and a half now and have been really impressed with them. I find the bite to be a lot better than OEM, took me a little bit to get used to how well they bite. Haven't noticed any brake dust and I heard a light noise I think twice at very low speeds which I'm chalking up to being brand new and not broken in. I did also get the rotors replaced with slotted ones though.

Quick Reply: Akebono vs Centric vs Brembo vs Stoptech - Brake Pads