GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How to go to the next folder on USB audio

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 12:44 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 212 Posts
Default How to go to the next folder on USB audio

I can't seem to find a way to go to the next folder while I'm playing songs from my USB in my 2015 standard sound system.
Pretty cumbersome to go through the menu on the navi screen to go to the next folder.
Old 09-08-16, 12:47 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

hold the next track button on your steering wheel down
Old 09-09-16, 10:17 AM
NickL
Instructor

I believe the 2015 changed to seeking in the track rather than changing the folder. I will check again.
Old 09-10-16, 02:43 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I think you are correct Nick. My 2015 won't skip to the next folder while holding down the track button either. I usually go to the options on the screen and sort by Artist.
Old 09-12-16, 12:37 PM
NickL
Instructor

Yup. It's confirmed that in 2015, there's no next folder button. Is there anywhere in the setting or LPS that can change this?
Old 09-12-16, 08:34 PM
sheefo2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you using a USB drive for your music?
Old 09-13-16, 04:55 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by sheefo2k
Why are you using a USB drive for your music?
Kind of a silly question. There are many reasons people prefer them. One of which is that it's cheap, so no need to worry if some valet steals it. Another, is that it's small and doesn't get in the way. Let us know if you need more.

What are you using?
Old 09-13-16, 07:26 AM
sheefo2k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
Kind of a silly question. There are many reasons people prefer them. One of which is that it's cheap, so no need to worry if some valet steals it. Another, is that it's small and doesn't get in the way. Let us know if you need more.

What are you using?
Thank you, I don't need any more reasons.
I simply use my phone for making wireless calls and wireless Bluetooth streaming. I have used Spotify in the past but I recently switched to Apple Music and I couldn't be happier.
The reason for the "silly" question is that I find it counterintuitive to download the music or burn the CD to your hard drive then to put it back onto a physical device when you can go straight to directly playing your music on the go and instantly when one need to.

Old 09-13-16, 07:45 AM
NickL
Instructor

Originally Posted by sheefo2k
Thank you, I don't need any more reasons.
I simply use my phone for making wireless calls and wireless Bluetooth streaming. I have used Spotify in the past but I recently switched to Apple Music and I couldn't be happier.
The reason for the "silly" question is that I find it counterintuitive to download the music or burn the CD to your hard drive then to put it back onto a physical device when you can go straight to directly playing your music on the go and instantly when one need to.
Everyone's need is different. I don't find streaming from your own NAS at home or the cloud to be a reliable source. Depending on where I am, streaming through my phone is iffy and I do not want to deal with that while I'm driving.
Packing 32GB of MP3 onto a single USB is my preferred way to listen to music in the car. I have access over 5000 songs in a single and most reliable place without having to worry about data usage or data coverage.
Same reason I do not like XM radio. It cuts out while I'm under a bridge, tunnel, or surrounded by tall buildings.

Old 09-13-16, 07:51 AM
sheefo2k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NickL
Everyone's need is different. I don't find streaming from your own NAS at home or the cloud to be a reliable source. Depending on where I am, streaming through my phone is iffy and I do not want to deal with that while I'm driving.
Packing 32GB of MP3 onto a single USB is my preferred way to listen to music in the car. I have access over 5000 songs in a single and most reliable place without having to worry about data usage or data coverage.
Same reason I do not like XM radio. It cuts out while I'm under a bridge, tunnel, or surrounded by tall buildings.
I understand those reasons as well and, again that is why I chose the wireless Bluetooth streaming. Both of the options I listed above let you store your music for offline usage. I would rather take my 5000 songs in the car, on a walk or any where I chose to go and not specifically for the car.

Listen I get it! I was only trying to understand the reason why people still use a USB drive for their music library when technically your smartphone will do exactly that and more.
Old 09-13-16, 07:58 AM
NickL
Instructor

If you get it then why you ask why people still use it? Even if you use a smartphone for your car entertainment, it doesn't answer my original question as to how to go to the next folder in the 2015+ model.
Old 09-13-16, 08:05 AM
dano
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use both my 64gb iPhone (preferred, 2800 songs) and a Toshiba 32gb memory stick (3600 songs). I have a 2014 GS with the non ML audio. How do you change folders on the USB memory stick on a 2014?
Old 09-13-16, 08:25 AM
NickL
Instructor

On the 2014, 2013 model, you hold the ^ or its counterpart to go to the next model. They should've just left that alone for the 2015+ models.
Old 09-13-16, 07:54 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NickL
If you get it then why you ask why people still use it? Even if you use a smartphone for your car entertainment, it doesn't answer my original question as to how to go to the next folder in the 2015+ model.
The only way I have found is to change the NAV screen to the music screen. You'll have a couple of options there. If I remember, I'll take a pic tomorrow and show you what I mean. It's worked well for me, as the "next" folder isn't normally the one I wan to listen to.
Old 09-13-16, 08:06 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Try this link:

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...f/OM30E39U.pdf

It's the 2015 GS Navigation Owners Manual. It includes the media player operation and page 213 talks specifically about the USB drive and operation.

Quick Reply: How to go to the next folder on USB audio