GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Purchased 2014 GS 350 AWD F-Sport.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-16, 09:59 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kitra
First is the Xenon headlights don't auto level. Never realized how great the auto-leveling Xenon's on my old SAAB were until I drove a car that doesn't seem to have them. Driving downtown, every time I cross an adjacent street with the hump, the headlights would raise with the body and light up the interior of the car in front of me. My 14 year old SAAB the lights adjusted and never even bounced. I had no idea how good that system is until driving this newer Lexus that doesn't seem to have this feature.

Second, very numb steering. The car has very little road feel plus the steering is very sensitive and doesn't seem to track on-center. Likes to drift so I'm always correcting. Certainly can't take eyes off the road for more than a second or two. Wondering if toe-in is incorrect or set near zero for efficiency?

Third, the road noise is crazy. I noticed the road noise during the test drive but now driving on highways and town, the road noise is excessive to me. The Dealer said the road noise is caused by the F-Sport package and the 40 series tires. The current tires are Continental's with 70% tread. I head the choice for 19" tires is very limited. They loaned me a ES-350 and it too had road noise but less than my car. Would I give the car back if I could? NO!

What I like is everything else. And the build quality seems very good. I am certain I am going to enjoy and reliability and will likely get hooked on the car once I driver it a while. I've only put 150 miles or so on it thus far.
Just enjoy your car for what it is, or you end up trading it in with another vehicle that is much worse. You should have looked for a vehicle with features you fell in love with in your old car. There's a reason SAAB no longer sell vehicles here in the US, if they were better than Lexus overall, more people would have owned these weird looking vehicles during their time - and they will still be around. JMHO. My uncle won a SAAB from their company lottery 25 years ago and he had the vehicle for a decade, before it stopped working - overall the vehicle was pleasant to drive but expensive to maintain.
Old 09-18-16, 07:43 AM
kitra
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It should be fine.

The Lexus is a really nice car for sure. I need to go on a run to the beach or something, as the 10 miles commutes to work aren't a very good test.
Old 09-19-16, 01:26 PM
mryeh17
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Drove an Audi A4 before switching to the GS350 and agree the Japanese have not duplicated the handling and feel of German cars. Also agree that road noise is definitely louder, perhaps because of the F-Sport package however I also notice that even when I open the sunroof cover I get a significant amount of wind noise and that has nothing to do with the F-Sport package.

That having been said, the Audi was a pain to maintain, oil changes took twice as long because of the way things were laid out. Reliability also poor, display LEDs on dash didn't work, rear window didn't roll down etc. etc.

Overall I'll take reliability over driving feel until I'm independently wealthy and can afford to pay someone $500 for a service.
Old 09-19-16, 05:30 PM
kitra
Driver

Default Main motivation for choosing Lexus brand.

Mryeh17, you have a good point regarding reliability. My SAAB has been great and super easy to work on. The car I really wanted was a BMW (never owned one) but never talked to a single owner that said they were reliable. Engine is shoe-horned in and pushed back. Weird electrical issues as well as mechanical. Family members have gone away from European to Lexus and never looked back. I hope I do the same.
Old 09-19-16, 06:08 PM
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 09-20-16, 07:33 AM
kitra
Driver

Default 18017, that is awesome!

Funny last summer we were at a Rod Run and I drove my SAAB to get there. Driving down the main street with all the hot-rods, traffic was stopped. People we commenting - yuk, a SAAB. Then I started speaking to people. I asked how do you like heated seats? SAAB was the first manufacturer to have them. Do you like active head restraints to reduce whiplash? SAAB invented those too. And the list goes on. These used to be a website with SAAB firsts. But the Lexus is certainly quality but fake leather on the doors seems tacky. lol. Again, 14 year old SAAB real leather on door panels. FWIW.

Last edited by kitra; 10-01-16 at 09:39 PM.