GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Intermittent Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 07:30 PM
MyBoyHan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Headlight

Hi all... just picked up a '13 4GS Fsport last week and all of a sudden the drivers side headlight seems to be going in and out. I was about to order some new bulbs when it all of a sudden came back on tonight after a day being out then went out again just before I got home. In anyone's experience is this more likely to indicate that the bulb is on its way out, or a loose connection, or a problem with the ballast? Thanks!
Old 09-13-16, 08:27 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by MyBoyHan
Hi all... just picked up a '13 4GS Fsport last week and all of a sudden the drivers side headlight seems to be going in and out. I was about to order some new bulbs when it all of a sudden came back on tonight after a day being out then went out again just before I got home. In anyone's experience is this more likely to indicate that the bulb is on its way out, or a loose connection, or a problem with the ballast? Thanks!
When on does the bulb look too blue or pink compared to other cars HID headlights? If so, the bulbs are probably at the end of their life. If not, maybe a loose connection somewhere. I have had HID bulbs go on/off due to both scenarios. I would think the bulbs are most likely the culprit unless you had a lot of water enter the engine compartment, etc. and may be shorting out the ballast.
Old 09-29-16, 10:23 AM
MyBoyHan
Driver School Candidate

FWIW, it was the bulb. Ended up replacing them with the Osram Xenarc 5000k CBI bulbs and they are amazing compared to stock. I highly recommend them.
Old 09-29-16, 08:44 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Learn something new every day. I didn't know that HID bulbs would go out in this manner, though it makes sense after some thought. The one time I've had an HID bulb go out on me it went from working normally to dead, no intermittent behavior.
Old 09-30-16, 07:06 AM
MyBoyHan
Driver School Candidate

I hadn't seen it either. I was planning on replacing the bulbs anyway, so I figured I would start there and if I needed a ballast too so be it. I checked all the connections as I changed the bulbs and everything was solid and tight. These new bulbs are a huge improvement over the old ones anyway - much better!
Old 10-06-16, 10:38 AM
shess
Driver School Candidate

Default Changing the bulbs

Hello,
My driver side headlight is doing the same thing so I have new bulbs but am having a hard time getting to the bulb to change it out. Can you share how to get to the actual bulb? I got to the bulb housing but am not sure how to get inside it and can't seem to locate pics or video. Do you have to remove the entire housing unit or can you get into it without removing? One post I saw mentioned turning the silver plate on the housing but there weren't any pics to demonstrate. I have a 2013 GS 350. Any help would be appreciated so I don't have to take it to the dealership.
Old 10-06-16, 01:04 PM
MyBoyHan
Driver School Candidate

You have to go in through a little trap door built into the inside of the driver's side wheel well. Remove the two screws and you can pull the trap door off. Rotate the ballast to remove it from the housing, then remove the wire harness from the ballast and bulb (by rotating the direction shown on the bulb connector) and you can pull the ballast out. It is tight, but it can be done in a matter of a few minutes. Then you have to release the clamp holding the bulb in. This may be obvious, but don't touch the bulb or let it touch anything else when installing it or you'll create hot spots on the bulb. I wore rubber gloves when handling the new bulbs. From there, just reverse your steps and you should be golden.
Old 10-06-16, 03:11 PM
shess
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I'll give it a try.