GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rear window shade.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-16 | 12:38 PM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Default Rear window shade.

I was just driving to lunch today and I thought about the rear shade. Is there any practical purpose for this? The bright sun usually effects the front windshield I assume more than the back. Does anyone use it? just a random curious thought. I'm kinda scared to use it after reading about a guy whose mechanism broke and the dealership wouldn't warranty it they wanted $1500 to repair it!
Old 09-20-16 | 12:41 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

I use it. During the day, depending on how it's parked in relation to the sun and I don't mind driving with it up. After sundown, it's down. As far as warrantly goes, if it breaks while under warranty, they're fixing it. Not sure why that would be of issue.
Old 09-20-16 | 12:42 PM
popping
Lead Lap

I leave mine up. I can see fine with it up with tints.
Old 09-20-16 | 12:47 PM
Driver

Default Kids

My munchkin rides in the back seat occasionally , and it comes in very handy. I don't have tint nor do I want it. I put it down during dark hours. One of my favorite features in the car
Old 09-20-16 | 12:49 PM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

I use it here every single day from about mid-April through September. By the way, since I have the luxury package, I also use the window shades on the four back windows. The car is noticeably cooler than other cars.
Old 09-20-16 | 12:57 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I always have the screen up during daylight driving...and down during night driving. It feels weird if the screen is down during the day.
Old 09-20-16 | 01:02 PM
atrac7
Driver

Surprised OP is in Texas and doesn't see the value for the sunshade!

I put mine up when i park at the office. I have tints in the back, but I can still see the visual effect of the extra shade protection when the shade cover goes up.

I will admit, i do not like it up while driving. I only use it when parked.
Old 09-20-16 | 01:32 PM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Yes Im in TX, I see the value in a front shade but a rear shade, and most people have some sort of tint anyways on their rear and side windows. I put it up today to see if it helps cool the temp in my vehicle when I leave the office. I don't think I will ever drive with it up because my windows are tinted so I needed any more shade.
Old 09-20-16 | 01:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I use it sometimes when parked to help keep the interior cool. I also have a kid in a rear facing car seat, so it works wonders at keeping the sun out of his eyes. I find it to be a very worthwhile feature.
Old 09-20-16 | 01:40 PM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Ok young children in the backseat makes sense, since I dont have young kids like that, I myself haven't found a use for it but thats why I posed the original question what do you guys use it for.
Old 09-20-16 | 01:55 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Mine is up day and night and only comes down in reverse. I have tint but the angle of the perforations in the shade still allows good vision day and night. My side shades also stay up all the time. I try to keep as much UV out of the inside of the car as possible as I normally keep my cars for a while. It also seems to keep the car cooler in the Texas sun but since this is my first GS I can't say for sure. It's perfect for me.
Old 09-20-16 | 03:00 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

In states like Texas & Arizona - the more shades, the better.

I guess that I'm not understanding your logic of front windshield sunshade > rear windshield sunshade. Since the sun hits your car at various angles depending on the time of day and how you're parked, the rear sunshade might be way more useful then you think if the sun is beating down on your car from that particular side. In that case, having a shade up on your front wield shield won't make as much of a difference as the rear sunshade. So in other words, it's all relative.

I have one of the best tints on the market on all windows of my car, I have a high quality front sunshade, I keep my side windows shades up, I use the read window sunshade.. and if leaving my car for some time, I will crack my windows (if I'm in a safe area & know it's not going to rain) to prevent the internal temperature from building up to crazy levels. Anything to make it more comfortable for me when I get back into the car and keep the temperatures from skyrocketing. I think it's a blessing to have all the shades that the car includes as optional features.

Fortunately, my work has garage parking so I don't have to leave my car outside too often, unless I'm running errands or something along those lines.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 09-20-16 | 07:30 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

I use mine all the time. It's actually up 24/7 even with my limo tint.
Old 09-20-16 | 09:41 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

I don't use mine very often, mainly when I park with the sun to my rear and want a little extra shade. Typically I park with the front to the sun and have a windshield sunshade. If I had a kiddo facing the rear, I would definitely use it more. If my car were the main kid-mover I'd use both the rear & side shades more, but as it stands, the Volvo is the main kid-mover.
Old 09-21-16 | 04:48 AM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

I have limo tint on my car and do not use the rear shade

Quick Reply: Rear window shade.