GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

A little bad luck with my new-to-me Lexus GS-350

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-16, 06:26 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

I thought he said he was in the center lane of a 3 lane highway. What am I missing here?

I do agree that slow people should stay out of the far left lane (unless of course the exit is on the left).
Old 10-23-16, 09:32 AM
2Squared
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
I thought he said he was in the center lane of a 3 lane highway. What am I missing here?

I do agree that slow people should stay out of the far left lane (unless of course the exit is on the left).
You're lacking the assumptions some are making when they read the OP's post
Old 10-23-16, 10:29 AM
kitra
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can this whole post/thread be deleted?

This has really gone in the wrong direction. You'd have to be familiar with the Sunset Highway inbound (East) shortly before the tunnel. The left and right lanes are nearly stopped with the left lane heading I-405 North, I-5 North, and Highway 30 and the right lane goes to I-5 South, I-5 North, I-84, and Powell/OHSU. The Center lane goes to Portland City Center. So what drivers do is pop into the center lane (signs say no lane changes prior to the tunnel), and attempt to shoot the gaps down the hill. Then, they lock up the brakes to grab the left or right lane. There are an amazing amount of crashes and it certainly can cause rage. So the Pickup was riding my ***, then decided to shoot a dangerous gap and cut in front of me. Then tagged the brakes hard. I think he was trying to get back into the lane he really needed but I couldn't see beyond the truck. It seemed like he was trying to pick a fight or cause me to crash my car? This similar driving is an everyday thing on this route and just a few weeks ago, an innocent Motorcyclist was taken out from someone trying to beat the traffic jam. Cut in front of the Biker and apparently misjudged the gap knocking him into the guard rail. . We were heading downtown a while ago on a weekend and just at the tunnel entrance, a car cut into the left lane in front of a Honda Civic and stopped. The Honda tried to stop but due to the wet roads, lost control and slammed into the tunnels entrance wall. The Guy ate it big and the person that caused the accident kept on going. We stopped to help the motorist but were in fear that we were going to get slammed into also. People were blowing horns, middle finger, yelling out their windows to us.

I need to be a work by 7AM but I leave at 6AM for my 9.8 mile commute to avoid the heavier traffic. But since thousands of new residents moving here, even the earlier departure time is becoming congested. I've lived here my whole life and it used to be so nice driving here. I traveled a lot with my job and Portland had the friendliest people and drivers. Now, maybe the attitudes have all moved to the area. Seems like a lot of negativity with my post so maybe the Moderator can nuke this whole thread because I do not know how to.

Last edited by kitra; 10-23-16 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-23-16, 12:34 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

Okay, so that clears up a lot. Yeah it sounds like just an awful setup. Glad you're okay. Stay safe.
Old 10-24-16, 10:39 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kitra
Now, maybe the attitudes have all moved to the area.
Sounds like the exodus from my state is taking its toll.
Old 10-24-16, 11:31 AM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Seems like lots of folks are too quick to pull out their "Jump to Conclusions" mats.

Since I've had my GS, I feel other drivers have been more discourteous with a penchant for cutting me off too closely. What I'm not sure of, is why.
Ideas...
a) I care more if something kicks up & hits my car
b) drivers are becoming increasingly aggressive (we've had lots of Californians, New Yorkers, and Floridians move here -- more aggressive driving culture?)
c) "people" are just a-holes, regardless of how kind a person is
d) drivers have a chip on their shoulder against Lexus, luxury, etc. (are they the 99%?)
Old 10-24-16, 01:34 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 551 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by spoogenet
Seems like lots of folks are too quick to pull out their "Jump to Conclusions" mats.

Since I've had my GS, I feel other drivers have been more discourteous with a penchant for cutting me off too closely. What I'm not sure of, is why.
Ideas...
a) I care more if something kicks up & hits my car
b) drivers are becoming increasingly aggressive (we've had lots of Californians, New Yorkers, and Floridians move here -- more aggressive driving culture?)
c) "people" are just a-holes, regardless of how kind a person is
d) drivers have a chip on their shoulder against Lexus, luxury, etc. (are they the 99%?)
Not in your case but, I always have zero respect for cell phone drivers. They are the worst and my phone doesn't exist when I'm driving. It's such a hassle when trying to keep your good car from being damaged.
Old 10-24-16, 03:35 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by murdoc
You shouldn't be in the left lane at all if you are doing the speed limit or below. That's a "passing" lane. Travelling the speed limit in the left/fast lane is just causing unnecessary congestion. Like JDR said, some states, if not most, you can get ticketed for that. I think it was AZ and/or TX that had postings for it being just a passing lane, which I thought was awesome. Driving through the 2 lane highway through the empty plains was nice and smooth (in the city was a different story lol). Way different from the drive to/from Vegas, so many feel entitled to the left lane going the same pace or slower than the right lane. Gahhh... get so annoyed. hahaha /rant
You are correct. The left lane is suppose to be the passing lane. They use to have messages stating that slower traffic keep right and that the left lane is for passing only. They haven't displayed that message in a while. TXDot needs to display those messages again as people have forgotten and you see slow cars in the left lane all the time. Its really frustrating.
Old 10-24-16, 07:58 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by charley95
Not in your case but, I always have zero respect for cell phone drivers. They are the worst and my phone doesn't exist when I'm driving. It's such a hassle when trying to keep your good car from being damaged.
Around here, I view texters as the scourge of the earth, closely followed by folks yakking on their cell phones to be a close second. (I discount drunk drivers because they're far less pervasive and "distracted driver" is so much harder to prove than drunkenness)

Originally Posted by Sevn86
You are correct. The left lane is suppose to be the passing lane. They use to have messages stating that slower traffic keep right and that the left lane is for passing only. They haven't displayed that message in a while. TXDot needs to display those messages again as people have forgotten and you see slow cars in the left lane all the time. Its really frustrating.
TXDot does have them. Ironically on some roads, the signs are in the right lane. Then again, TXDot has many signs drivers ignore. To list a few: speed limit, school zone, no cell phones in school zone, which lane merges, yield sign, stop sign, no trucks in left lane, state law to obey all warning signs, no passing zone....
Old 10-24-16, 08:26 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

TXDot does have them. Ironically on some roads, the signs are in the right lane. Then again, TXDot has many signs drivers ignore. To list a few: speed limit, school zone, no cell phones in school zone, which lane merges, yield sign, stop sign, no trucks in left lane, state law to obey all warning signs, no passing zone....
Yeah I just haven't seen them on the black message boards along the freeway in a while. They usually have amber alerts and the number of deaths so far this year on Texas road ways flashing on the message boards but they need to start reminding people again about the left lane and what it's for. One I haven't seen in over a year is the one telling drivers to move over a lane or slow down when either a police/ emergency vehicle has flashing lights on and is stopped on the shoulder.
Old 10-24-16, 08:32 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Yeah I just haven't seen them on the black message boards along the freeway in a while. They usually have amber alerts and the number of deaths so far this year on Texas road ways flashing on the message boards but they need to start reminding people again about the left lane and what it's for. One I haven't seen in over a year is the one telling drivers to move over a lane or slow down when either a police/ emergency vehicle has flashing lights on and is stopped on the shoulder.
Lately I've been seeing the "Be courteous, allow drivers to merge at ramps" signs which really ought to read "Drivers, if you need to merge and don't have right-of-way, use your turn signal, and be courteous. Don't be a d**k and jump out of line, speed past everybody, go beyond the lane limit, and cut somebody off while giving them a rude gesture for being rightfully upset at your d**k move."
Old 10-24-16, 08:37 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Lately I've been seeing the "Be courteous, allow drivers to merge at ramps" signs which really ought to read "Drivers, if you need to merge and don't have right-of-way, use your turn signal, and be courteous. Don't be a d**k and jump out of line, speed past everybody, go beyond the lane limit, and cut somebody off while giving them a rude gesture for being rightfully upset at your d**k move."
Lmao!!! If they were somehow able to fit that long a message on the board, I'm sure it would cause a lot of accidents just from people trying to read that long message. I do agree though!
Old 10-24-16, 08:42 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

They also need to stop with the "look twice for motorcycles" message. I'm all for safety but 95% of the motorcyclist are speeding well above the speed limit and cutting vehicle drivers off swerving in and out. I feel they don't seem to care about others or their own safety.
Old 10-26-16, 02:08 AM
mrpink13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They also need to stop with the "look twice for motorcycles" message. I'm all for safety but 95% of the motorcyclist are speeding well above the speed limit and cutting vehicle drivers off swerving in and out. I feel they don't seem to care about others or their own safety.
they dont. thats why the death probability is so harsh and so real. everytime i see one of those dip****s i think they should just drive off a cliff instead of endangering others.
Old 10-26-16, 01:55 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow those people have nothing better to do... Hope everything gets better now

Quick Reply: A little bad luck with my new-to-me Lexus GS-350