GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Brake flush price ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-18, 07:15 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Lexus enginears must be real idiots for suggesting fluid flushes at 30k... Got my 14 RX done a couple of weeks ago for $120 with a coupon at the dealer. For that kind of chump change it's not worth it to me personally to get under the car for that kind of $$. It's amazing how many people on this forum are so cheap when it comes to their $50k car!
Toyota is the world's fifth-largest company by revenue. I'm sure they employ some of the best engineers in the world. There is a reason Toyota and Lexus consistently rank in the top 10 for reliability. Most of us that have bought them for the luxury and reliability. But that does not mean we are not money conscious.
Old 06-16-18, 07:44 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I change my brake fluid mybe every 6 month cuz it get brown so fast. my others car don't even turn brown after I change my brake fluid and it still yellow today. our brakes get very hot and it will break down the stuff inside the fluid. but its ur car, I brought this car so Im trying to maintain it till I got my money worth on this car. lol
Old 06-16-18, 08:39 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
I change my brake fluid mybe every 6 month cuz it get brown so fast. my others car don't even turn brown after I change my brake fluid and it still yellow today. our brakes get very hot and it will break down the stuff inside the fluid. but its ur car, I brought this car so Im trying to maintain it till I got my money worth on this car. lol
On the same boat with you.
Old 06-16-18, 09:29 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

And a fresh oil change gets considerably browner well within the oil change interval, that doesn't mean that the oil isn't doing its job. I'm still also trying to figure out the gnomish mysticism by which water enters a system that's supposed to be sealed unless there's some parts in there that cause condensation and the condensate contaminates the system....

-Mike
Old 06-16-18, 10:26 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
And a fresh oil change gets considerably browner well within the oil change interval, that doesn't mean that the oil isn't doing its job. I'm still also trying to figure out the gnomish mysticism by which water enters a system that's supposed to be sealed unless there's some parts in there that cause condensation and the condensate contaminates the system....

-Mike
in the brake fluid reservoir or the brake fluid cap theres a hole so there is eteria force, I forgot how to spell it. its like gravity thing. my point is theres a small hole on the cap and air have moisture in it so the brake fluid will have moisture over time. and when theres moisture in the brake fluid it dilute it making it less efficient and cant handle the boiling point. sorry for my English and spelling. =)
Old 06-17-18, 01:16 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by dougm213
Most people on here are not original purchasers and bought their car for much much less. Second, you were frugal enough to use a coupon? Thirdly, not fair of you to judge how people spend money, your money your choice, their money their choice. Live and let live.
And why would you not use a 15% off coupon the dealer gives you if your going to have a service done there? 50k car or not, cars require PM's if you want longevity out of the vehicle!
Old 06-17-18, 01:21 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Look up hygroscopic...
Brake fluid service is probably the #1 neglected service.
You can just suck out the reservoir and top off; that will help.
Next is to remove front wheels and pump through fluid till it runs clear.
Remember, you are not bleeding, just flushing; start with the driver side.
Finally, flushing the rears completes the job.

You will feel a difference; more so if the service is overdue.
I do this at approximately 60K intervals.
Old 06-26-18, 05:12 PM
SpicedRum
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Richard is right..there is venting between the atmosphere and the reservoir which pulls moist air into the reservoir. This vent needs to be there as the fluid level in the reservoir changes slightly upon use. This moisture is exposed to the fluid, and since the fluid attracts moisture, is absorbed readily.
Eventually enough moisture is present that there is no longer sufficient hydraulic force to push on the caliper pistons enough to brake hard. This is because water compresses more easily than brake fluid. The difference is not much in reality so the brake system will still "feel" OK and the brakes will work OK, just not quite as good as they should. It's under heavy (let's say going down a long mountain pass or heavy track use), the brake fluid can become extremely hot from the heat soak from the hot rotors, pads and calipers. When the fluid becomes water borne, it boils more readily, and when this happens you will have no brakes as it will introduce air into the system, which does not compress. The pedal will go the floor and will not return until the fluid stops boiling. Under very rare situations would this be a problem assuming the brake system is well designed and functioning well otherwise, simply because you have to really get them hot to boil them.

Take a look at boiling point comparison here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid

l'll bleed them when I do brakes while the car is up on jack stands. It's not that big of a deal and with another person to pour in fluid along with a $15 vacuum system it doesn't take too long and doesn't cost much.

Also note that a lot of mechanics will suck out the fluid in the reservoir before doing a brake job simply to avoid spilling any when pushing the pistons back into the calipers. The fluid will eat paint and you don't want this in your eye so they will take care not to spill it. This will not flush the brakes, but does put in a lot of fresh fluid (assuming they didn't reuse it).

If you don't want to mess around with bleeding it, you could just suck out the old fluid and refill and and do it again in a week or two, maybe a third time if you're well beyond 30k miles. This will get most of it out. Be sure to clean the hose/turkey baster well--do not introduce any foreign dirt or oils into the reservoir.

Last edited by SpicedRum; 06-26-18 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-26-18, 08:24 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
And why would you not use a 15% off coupon the dealer gives you if your going to have a service done there? 50k car or not, cars require PM's if you want longevity out of the vehicle!
Charley, you wrote: "It's amazing how many people on this forum are so cheap when it comes to their $50k car!" That is a condescending comment. You're calling people cheap yet you use a coupon. Ironic. I maintain my car and I maintain it as cheaply as necessary.

Last edited by dougm213; 06-26-18 at 08:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Knucklebus (06-27-18)
Old 06-26-18, 08:38 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedRum
Richard is right..there is venting between the atmosphere and the reservoir which pulls moist air into the reservoir. This vent needs to be there as the fluid level in the reservoir changes slightly upon use. This moisture is exposed to the fluid, and since the fluid attracts moisture, is absorbed readily.
Eventually enough moisture is present that there is no longer sufficient hydraulic force to push on the caliper pistons enough to brake hard. This is because water compresses more easily than brake fluid. The difference is not much in reality so the brake system will still "feel" OK and the brakes will work OK, just not quite as good as they should. It's under heavy (let's say going down a long mountain pass or heavy track use), the brake fluid can become extremely hot from the heat soak from the hot rotors, pads and calipers. When the fluid becomes water borne, it boils more readily, and when this happens you will have no brakes as it will introduce air into the system, which does not compress. The pedal will go the floor and will not return until the fluid stops boiling. Under very rare situations would this be a problem assuming the brake system is well designed and functioning well otherwise, simply because you have to really get them hot to boil them.

Take a look at boiling point comparison here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid

l'll bleed them when I do brakes while the car is up on jack stands. It's not that big of a deal and with another person to pour in fluid along with a $15 vacuum system it doesn't take too long and doesn't cost much.

Also note that a lot of mechanics will suck out the fluid in the reservoir before doing a brake job simply to avoid spilling any when pushing the pistons back into the calipers. The fluid will eat paint and you don't want this in your eye so they will take care not to spill it. This will not flush the brakes, but does put in a lot of fresh fluid (assuming they didn't reuse it).

If you don't want to mess around with bleeding it, you could just suck out the old fluid and refill and and do it again in a week or two, maybe a third time if you're well beyond 30k miles. This will get most of it out. Be sure to clean the hose/turkey baster well--do not introduce any foreign dirt or oils into the reservoir.
So wrong on so many points.
  1. Water, or any commonly known liquid, is NOT compressible to any significant degree. This is how hydraulics work, liquids don't compress therefore input nearly equals output.
  2. Air is very compressible, hence the reason you don't want any in your brake lines.
  3. When water boils it doesn't create air, it creates steam. It takes a lot of hard braking to create steam.
  4. The top of the brake reservoir on most vehicles has a rubber bladder top that seals the cavity and will pull down when the fluid is drawn down to fill the calipers as the pads wear. It keeps the air gap to a minimum and no outside air is vented in normally.
  5. Yes, DOT3 & DOT4 are hygroscopic and they can absorb a fair amount of moisture without harming the system much like ethanol in gas will absorb water in the tank.
  6. DOT3 & DOT4 fluids, by design, are able to hold water in suspension so that water doesn't settle and corrode the lowest point in the brake system.
  7. Suctioning the master, refilling and repeating will have almost no impact on the calipers, which is where the risk of boiling the suspended water happens.
  8. Opening the system to siphon out the master probably lets in more moisture than the sealed system would normally absorb in 50,000 miles, negating the value of the process.
Old 06-27-18, 03:15 AM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a cheap ($10) way of doing it. It is a fairly quick job as well. Cost is only for the breakfluid.

NB: I will do this in a newish car. Or rahter any car that has fairly new breakfluid in. Not a car with 100miler plus on breakfluid in reservoir for instance. Reason for that is you are pumping fluid out using your breakpedal. Reason this is not advised is because the master cylinder may be pitted as a result of moisture and you may thus damage the seal. Anyways. I have always done it like this and never had an issue. You need your wife to assist though .

1. empty break-fluid reservoir using turkey baster and fill with new fluid.
2. raise the rear of the car.
3. Remove a rear wheel
4. take a plastic container and plastic (see through tube) that will fit over the bleed nipple.
5. please pipe over nipple
6. ask wife to depress pedal and hold
7. release nipple with small spanner. fluid will flow
8. tighten nipple again. No need to go tighter than finger tight. All you want is for fluid not to be pulled back in when step 9 happens.
9. she may release pedal now.
10. repeat step 6-9 till you see new fluid come through the pipe.
11. Add fluid again.
12. repeat on other rear wheel. Will take much less time now before fluid is clear
13. Do for each of the front calipers.
14. Done

all old fluid is now removed and new fluid in the system without the need for any bleeding.
Old 06-27-18, 06:23 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jtkotze
There is a cheap ($10) way of doing it. It is a fairly quick job as well. Cost is only for the breakfluid.

NB: I will do this in a newish car. Or rahter any car that has fairly new breakfluid in. Not a car with 100miler plus on breakfluid in reservoir for instance. Reason for that is you are pumping fluid out using your breakpedal. Reason this is not advised is because the master cylinder may be pitted as a result of moisture and you may thus damage the seal. Anyways. I have always done it like this and never had an issue. You need your wife to assist though .

1. empty break-fluid reservoir using turkey baster and fill with new fluid.
2. raise the rear of the car.
3. Remove a rear wheel
4. take a plastic container and plastic (see through tube) that will fit over the bleed nipple.
5. please pipe over nipple
6. ask wife to depress pedal and hold
7. release nipple with small spanner. fluid will flow
8. tighten nipple again. No need to go tighter than finger tight. All you want is for fluid not to be pulled back in when step 9 happens.
9. she may release pedal now.
10. repeat step 6-9 till you see new fluid come through the pipe.
11. Add fluid again.
12. repeat on other rear wheel. Will take much less time now before fluid is clear
13. Do for each of the front calipers.
14. Done

all old fluid is now removed and new fluid in the system without the need for any bleeding.
Generally, you can gravity bleed a system simply by placing a hose on the end of the bleeder, as you indicated, and cracking it open. It isn't as fast but just as effective. When bleeding brakes, it is the recommended practice to start at the farthest, which on US domestic cars would be the passenger back. Then work your way to the next farthest, ending at the driver front.

Additionally, there are replacement bleeders called speed bleeders that are a one way valve so that you can essentially bleed the whole system by yourself without assistance.
Old 06-27-18, 06:30 AM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Generally, you can gravity bleed a system simply by placing a hose on the end of the bleeder, as you indicated, and cracking it open. It isn't as fast but just as effective. When bleeding brakes, it is the recommended practice to start at the farthest, which on US domestic cars would be the passenger back. Then work your way to the next farthest, ending at the driver front.

Additionally, there are replacement bleeders called speed bleeders that are a one way valve so that you can essentially bleed the whole system by yourself without assistance.
for sure. You can even attach a big *** syringe with the clear tube to the nipple and suck the breakfluid through once you crack open the nipple. Probably easiest way if you dont have a significant other to assist.. Just be carefull not to suck the reservoir empty as you then will sit with air in the system. So perhaps suck out 50cc at a time. Close nipple and refill before next 50cc
Old 06-27-18, 10:29 AM
SpicedRum
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I put some feedback inline to help keep things straight. As a valued member, I certainly appreciate your feedback.

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
So wrong on so many points.
  1. Water, or any commonly known liquid, is NOT compressible to any significant degree. This is how hydraulics work, liquids don't compress therefore input nearly equals output.
Spiced: I thought I corrected that in my post; maybe not? I realized that the very slight compressibility of water vs. hydraulics fluid probably won't be significant enough to make any difference in actual braking.
  1. Air is very compressible, hence the reason you don't want any in your brake lines.
Spiced: Yes, absolutely. I payed attention in science class
  1. When water boils it doesn't create air, it creates steam. It takes a lot of hard braking to create steam.
Spiced: I was using the word air to contrast with liquid to infer compressibility. The bubbles you see when water is heating up (before reaching the full boil state) is dissolved air being released. The bubbles you see in water while boiling is steam, aka gaseous water (note there IS GAS IN STEAM). I agree is takes a lot of heat in the braking system to get to the boiling point. However, an outwardly sticking caliper piston, perhaps caused by corrosion of the water within the caliper, will generate a ton of heat. Add a race track, very aggressive driving or riding the brakes on mountain passes and this could be a problem.
  1. The top of the brake reservoir on most vehicles has a rubber bladder top that seals the cavity and will pull down when the fluid is drawn down to fill the calipers as the pads wear. It keeps the air gap to a minimum and no outside air is vented in normally.
Spiced: I am familiar with the rubber bladder design, but I looked at the GS cap before posting and it sure does not look like a "bellows" or bladder type cap. It looks like there is a check valve and vent. I could be wrong? Go take a peek at it and let me know what you think.
  1. Yes, DOT3 & DOT4 are hygroscopic and they can absorb a fair amount of moisture without harming the system much like ethanol in gas will absorb water in the tank.
Spiced: I agree, but when do you know the point where water concentration goes from unharmful to harmful? You would need to measure the water concentration, which no one will do, and you can't judge it based on color or smell. By harmful, I mean it lowers lubricating ability, lowers boiling point, lowers corrosion protection, etc.
  1. DOT3 & DOT4 fluids, by design, are able to hold water in suspension so that water doesn't settle and corrode the lowest point in the brake system.
  2. Suctioning the master, refilling and repeating will have almost no impact on the calipers, which is where the risk of boiling the suspended water happens.
Spiced: These two statements contradict each other. Does it hold in suspension or settle to the bottom? The braking fluid does move around a little bit just like any liquid within a moving container would. If you put a drop of dye in the master cyl some of that die will be at the caliper in short order when using the system. This is why I said to drive it for a week between master cylinder fills--to mix the old with new better. My understanding is that the water does NOT pool at the lowest point with DOT3/4 fluids, but is "dissolved" (looking for the right word here) within the fluid. I don't know what the real answer is here, and certainly am not trusting reddit or quora for the right answer.
  1. Opening the system to siphon out the master probably lets in more moisture than the sealed system would normally absorb in 50,000 miles, negating the value of the process.
Spiced: Hard to know for sure without testing this, but based on how loose the cap is tightened (the cap just pries off, does not screw on), it's not hard to believe that air can migrate past the seal. Go check it out for yourself. The cap is easy to pry off and does not appear to have a bellows diagram.
Old 06-27-18, 11:38 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpicedRum
I put some feedback inline to help keep things straight. As a valued member, I certainly appreciate your feedback.
From personal experience, brake fluid can essentially last the life of the car. I've owned probably 50+ cars, even more if you count motorcycles, in my lifetime and I've never intentionally flushed the brakes. Replacing the brake fluid every 10 years or 100,000 miles would seem to be more frequent than necessary.

My DOT3 statements are not contradictory they are complimentary. Brake fluid will absorb moisture if exposed to it. A sealed (or semi sealed) system will not draw (much) moisture. Any that is absorbed will be held in suspension and not pool, as in water and oil. They do not separate out into stratified layers. Therefore, the water in suspension is held in a state where it does little harm to the brake system. Through normal use, any absorbed water will disperse to the whole system. Getting contaminants in is a lot easier than getting them out. An ounce of gas in water will contaminate the many gallons, no amount of switching one cup of polluted water with clean at a time will ever get the water pure enough to be potable again in a reasonable amount of exchanges.

In the brake failures I've ever had to correct, most were from:
  1. Flex lines going to wheels get eaten up from constant flexing and bulge or collapse.
  2. Hard lines being exposed to externally corrosive environments, aka driven on the sea beach/heavily salted roads.
DOT5 fluid on the other hand is not hygroscopic and will not absorb water. It will puddle to the lowest point and it will corrode iron/steel components.

Quick Reply: Brake flush price ?