GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sound Generator Disable

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16 | 07:02 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Here's the sound generator:

Remove the plastic/decorative engine cover. You will see the sound generator on the left side, if you are standing in front of the car. Remove a 10mm bolt and loosen the hose clamp to remove it. It was mounted right here and came right out:

Save all your wise-guy comments (lol), but I am using the metal screw-on-cap from an empty can of glue for my TEMPORARY plug. You can just barely see it in the picture.

I'll find something a little more long-term over the weekend.
The following 2 users liked this post by DallasDave:
4GS350 (10-22-23), mkmckinley (03-01-20)
Old 10-28-16 | 07:25 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Yeah, the K&N intake for the 4GS eliminates the sound completely. It's very easy to install. Amazon has it for $195.99.
I cannot seem to locate it on Amazon and/or K&N's site. Could you share the link? The only one I could locate on Amazon states that it won't fit my car (looks like it's for the F Sport) AND has the supply tube for the sound generator.

Here's what I found:
https://www.amazon.com/HPS-27-569P-P...Alexus%3Ags350
Old 10-28-16 | 10:13 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

so all we have to do is block that round area once the sound generator is off? very nice.. if you find a better solution to plug the hole, please post.
Old 10-28-16 | 08:21 PM
SneakySt3v
Driver School Candidate

I went with the K&N. Slight improvement in throttle response and easy to install. It is K&N 69-8704TP.
https://www.amazon.com/Typhoon-Intak...r+intake+Lexus
Old 10-29-16 | 10:38 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Plugging it is fine. It will not trigger a check engine light. Just make sure to fully seal the hole and make sure whatever you use will stay put and not get sucked in to the manifold. Best thing would be to get an intake tube that does not have the hole for the sound generator in the first place.
Old 10-29-16 | 11:11 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Painted PVC plug should do the trick until I find a good used K&N tube.

Old 10-29-16 | 01:52 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

https://www.amazon.com/Typhoon-Intak...ke+lexus+gs350

Only 1 left in stock. The one that I saw said it was only compatible on the 13 and 14 MY. That one says 13-15.
Old 10-29-16 | 02:08 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Yeah but $200 just seems like a waste for me. I already have the K&N filter installed, so basically I'm paying just to get the tube. I'll troll the classified section of the forum and eBay for a while and see what turns up.
Old 10-31-16 | 08:19 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DallasDave
LOL, no worries. I just removed the generator and used a temporary plug. Just getting an idea if it's worth finding a long-term patch.....and it is to me. Now when I press the throttle more than half way the sound is noticeably quieter. You can still hear the motor and even some exhaust noise but the "honk type" noise is gone (maybe more like a goose).

I just need to find either a better way to plug the hose or locate a 3rd Gen intake tube.
Honk like a goose, you crack me up.

I'm late to this party, would've recommended the aftermarket intake such as K&N. Also suggest looking into an LS, probably a quieter and softer ride -- not sure on the fun factor, and clearly price is a detractor.

Your temporary solution is quite practical, convenient you found one that fits so well.
Old 11-01-16 | 08:27 AM
socialnet
Driver School Candidate

Painted PVC plug should do the trick until I find a good used K&N tube.

Nice one, What size pvc plug should be used? Thinking of getting one from lowes or home Depot too
Old 11-01-16 | 07:33 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Ahhhh, I threw out the receipt and trash day was yesterday. Perhaps these pictures will help:

The required outside diameter is ~1.75". The metal coupler I used fits very tight, maybe even too tight. I used a light coating of oil and managed to seat it properly. You cannot tell by the photos, but it's probably 3.5" long, so it is seated almost half way. I could not find a PVC pipe/coupler that had the correct outside diameter, so that's why I settled for the metal one. I put teflon tape on the PVC cap and screwed it in completely (definitely air-tight).

Both were less than $5. Definitely a cheap way to delete the sound generator - although I am trolling the classifieds and eBay looking for a used K&N intake tube.

It would be almost impossible for me to put the sound generator back on, now that I am used to the lack of noise. You now hear the engine RPM, transmission whirring and even the exhaust note. I totally realize this is just my opinion, but it's much MUCH better. Now there's no "big production" (regarding the noise level) when you get on the gas heavily, just smooth acceleration with some mild associated noises. I am going for the luxury "feel", so I mean no disrespect to you F Sport owners that appreciate the sounds/noises of your cars. Now when I get "on the gas" my passengers know it because of the feeling of acceleration...not because of the noise they hear.

The perception is that the car actually seems faster - Lord knows it is NOT so save your comments, LOL!
The following users liked this post:
MisterQ (07-24-17)
Old 11-01-16 | 08:26 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-in-...-101/100372302

can we buy one of these and just cap it off where the pipe meets the main intake pipe?

and do you mind measuring the opening of the intake? (beginning of the sound generator that you took out already)
Old 11-02-16 | 06:49 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

I couldn't find a rubber cap to fit properly. Plus, I was a little concerned about the engine heat (the sound generator area is right above a cylinder head) and the soft rubber.

Old 12-03-16 | 06:22 PM
leg3ndary
Pole Position

In an effort to make my GS as quiet as possible, I think I'd like to disable the sound generator. Looks pretty straightforward - remove sound generator assembly and "plug" hose/port.

Am I crazy for considering such?

But why???
Old 12-04-16 | 01:12 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Will be interesting to see if the K&N makes your GS quieter, but harsher, because one of the main reasons why the GS has a sound generator, while BMW 3 Series etc use speakers is to make an artificial noise to hide the harshness of the big 3.5L V6, and the harshness of the small capacity four cylinder turbo engines.

Quick Reply: Sound Generator Disable