GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Need Some Advice - Bought a L/Certified (CPO) GS350 With Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 05:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin7
So I've contacted several local Lexus dealerships around me, they all said they can't replace that aftermarket windshield under warranty even if the car is L/Certified. So then I've contacted the Lexus corporate office and explained to them the situation. They asked me to go get a inspection at one of my local dealerships and then after the inspection, provide them with the dealership's info. Not sure what's going to happen from there.
A Lexus dealership wouldn't be replacing the windshield with an OE windshield under warranty - the dealership would be replacing the incorrect/inferior aftermarket windshield that was given a passing grade when the vehicle was certified CPO and later found that the aftermarket windshield is not compatible with one or more of the vehicle options. As alluded to in a previous post, this will likely be a point of contention between the selling Lexus dealership and your local dealership and/or Lexus corporate. You see, the selling dealership needs to be held responsible (for paying the cost) to bring the vehicle up to standards by replacing the aftermarket windshield with an OE windshield where the windshield related options work. Again, the aftermarket windshield on your car is not a warranty issue per se, but instead it is an issue that needs to be corrected (by the selling dealership) because the selling dealer made a mistake by certifying the vehicle with an incorrect/inferior windshield that does not allow the options to work.
Old 11-21-16, 05:56 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blitz_IS
Might check to see if the rain sensor itself is missing the gel piece. Usually there's a gel pad / piece that goes in between the sensor and the windshield itself.
OP - This gel/tape piece being missing or bubbled-up is a definite possibility, which is somewhat commonplace when an OE windshield is replaced with an aftermarket windshield on a vehicle that has sensors such as yours. That may indeed be what the problem is (and not the aftermarket windshield itself), which would be easy to correct.
Old 11-21-16, 07:49 PM
homerj227
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bclexus
OP - This gel/tape piece being missing or bubbled-up is a definite possibility, which is somewhat commonplace when an OE windshield is replaced with an aftermarket windshield on a vehicle that has sensors such as yours. That may indeed be what the problem is (and not the aftermarket windshield itself), which would be easy to correct.
This...you have to figure out if you are trying to get the sensors to work properly or trying to replace the windshield. There is a chance the windshield is fine, and really your goal is to get everything working properly. You really aren't asking Lexus to replace the windshield under warranty. You are asking them to get the sensors to work under warranty.
Old 11-21-16, 08:04 PM
jlin7
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

A Lexus dealership wouldn't be replacing the windshield with an OE windshield under warranty - the dealership would be replacing the incorrect/inferior aftermarket windshield that was given a passing grade when the vehicle was certified CPO and later found that the aftermarket windshield is not compatible with one or more of the vehicle options. As alluded to in a previous post, this will likely be a point of contention between the selling Lexus dealership and your local dealership and/or Lexus corporate. You see, the selling dealership needs to be held responsible (for paying the cost) to bring the vehicle up to standards by replacing the aftermarket windshield with an OE windshield where the windshield related options work. Again, the aftermarket windshield on your car is not a warranty issue per se, but instead it is an issue that needs to be corrected (by the selling dealership) because the selling dealer made a mistake by certifying the vehicle with an incorrect/inferior windshield that does not allow the options to work.
Great input! Thanks!
Old 11-21-16, 08:07 PM
Dkp1111
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

worked at dealer before citified car is not much more than a regular car except for the extended warranty that you probably never use.

If you check the wear and tear warranty those are the areas that dealer need to check/fix the car to OE standard (not meant oem part) so yes they can use aftermarket. But if the sensor not function because of the windshield or was damage prior to purchase selling dealer have to fix it.

You did right when get Lexus headquarter involved because they will put more pressure on the dealer to get things right. Did they send you the survey yet? If yes and you havent done it, tell the dealer to make it right if they don't want their csi number jeopardy...😁
Old 11-21-16, 08:09 PM
jlin7
Rookie

Originally Posted by homerj227
This...you have to figure out if you are trying to get the sensors to work properly or trying to replace the windshield. There is a chance the windshield is fine, and really your goal is to get everything working properly. You really aren't asking Lexus to replace the windshield under warranty. You are asking them to get the sensors to work under warranty.
At this point, after doing a lot of research, it would be sensors and windshield. Sensors aren't working. That windshield could be incompatible with the sensors. Even so, the windshield is part of the 161-pt L/certified inspection list to make sure Lexus standard is met and a aftermarket windshield is not Lexus standard.
Old 11-21-16, 08:11 PM
jlin7
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dkp1111
worked at dealer before citified car is not much more than a regular car except for the extended warranty that you probably never use.

If you check the wear and tear warranty those are the areas that dealer need to check/fix the car to OE standard (not meant oem part) so yes they can use aftermarket. But if the sensor not function because of the windshield or was damage prior to purchase selling dealer have to fix it.

You did right when get Lexus headquarter involved because they will put more pressure on the dealer to get things right. Did they send you the survey yet? If yes and you havent done it, tell the dealer to make it right if they don't want their csi number jeopardy...😁
Thanks. I did received survey and I didn't want to complete it too soon until I have the car for a while.
Old 11-21-16, 08:21 PM
Dkp1111
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin7
Thanks. I did received survey and I didn't want to complete it too soon until I have the car for a while.
There you go, now you have the leverage😉
Old 11-22-16, 02:39 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

A CPO vehicle is a vehicle that the manufacturer (not a dealership) has certified to be in good condition. Manufacturers back up their CPO vehicles with a warranty that can be as good, or even better, than some new car warranties. Although the cars are sold by dealers, and even though the dealer’s service department does the required CPO inspection for the manufacturer, a CPO vehicle can be brought to any of the brand’s dealerships for warranty coverage. In other words, the cars are backed up by the brand (Lexus), not just the dealer that sells you the CPO car.

I would take the car to your local Lexus dealership and explain what your problem(s) and your beliefs to be. Keep in mind that your local Lexus dealer may have to deal with the selling Lexus dealer (located hours away) to work-out the details...because the selling dealer may have been at fault for overlooking something, or doing something, that they (the selling dealer) will ultimately have to pay the local dealer for in order to correct the problem and to make your purchase right and whole. I would suggest that you resist any request that may come your way for you to take the vehicle into the selling Lexus dealer (located hours away) to have them perform the inspection or work...since the car is under Lexus warranty, not dealer warranty. However, if possible, it is always best to purchase a CPO from your local dealer...

All that said, you did not say how long ago you purchased the vehicle. You also said something that stands out to me, which was; "it's not possible for me to deal with the Lexus dealership that I've purchased the car from...". This gives me the impression that you and the selling Lexus dealer may be 'at odds' with one another over something. Keep in mind that if there is an ongoing problem with you, this may throw a monkey wrench into the willingness of your selling Lexus dealer to work with your local Lexus dealer, and visa-versa. Lastly, if you are responsible or the cause of the windshield or windshield sensor problem(s) this will almost certainly be discovered, and be noted accordingly.
You have basically contradicted yourself. First you say it is backed by Lexus, not the dealer. Then you say the second dealer may have to work it out with the first dealer. I dos not know which is correct, but the OP should read the CPO warranty and find out what the warranty says and where he can take it to be covered under warranty.
Old 11-22-16, 09:30 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

This is ridiculous. If the car is L/Certified (covered under warranty or not) the dealer should make it right. At their own expense...

It's a freaking Lexus and they sold it without one of the systems in working order. The dealer should be jumping across the service bay to get your car ahead of all the others to make your car work. Otherwise, their L/Cert program and their reputation is just garbage. And I would go out of my way to make sure every corporate Lexus slug knew that they sold me a half-assed L/cert Lexus with broken systems and that this is the level of representation by this dealer. And if they tried to side the fact that it didn't work by lying about to you, I'd be calling a lawyer.

They can make it easy or they can make it hard. To me, it seems like they replaced the windshield on the cheap and couldn't make the rain sense feature work (or just didn't care to). You bought it and they didn't say anything (failure to disclose) which is a simple breach of any contract. Especially sales.

I'd hem their asses up till they fixed it and fixed right. Then compensated me for embarrassing themselves by being a bunch of deceitful crooks.
Old 11-22-16, 11:34 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jjscsix
You have basically contradicted yourself. First you say it is backed by Lexus, not the dealer. Then you say the second dealer may have to work it out with the first dealer. I dos not know which is correct, but the OP should read the CPO warranty and find out what the warranty says and where he can take it to be covered under warranty.
No I haven't contradicted myself.

A Lexus CPO vehicle is warranted at any Lexus dealership. The 'issue' in this case is that the selling Lexus dealership signed-off on a 'possible' incorrect/inferior windshield. The windshield is NOT a warranty issue per se. An aftermarket windshield (that works) is perfectly okay on a CPO vehicle. That said, it must first be determined exactly what the problem is (the windshield or the sensors or both). If the selling Lexus dealership passed an incorrect/inferior windshield then that [selling] dealership will be held responsible for the cost to make the vehicle right...regardless whether the selling Lexus dealership performs the work or another Lexus dealership performs the work. This is why Lexus corporate wanted one of their Lexus dealerships to inspect the vehicle - to determine exactly what the problem is.

Lexus will make this vehicle right for the owner, but it may have nothing to do with normal warranty, but instead has everything to do with the selling dealership giving the vehicle a passing grade on [possibly] a windshield that doesn't allow the sensors to work. This problem creates a responsibility issue (where one specific dealership that must pay for their error) that Lexus corporate will try to make as invisible as possible to the vehicle owner.
Old 11-22-16, 12:09 PM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

How long has it been since you purchased the vehicle?

Don't you have a certain period you can cancel the purchase and return the vehicle?
Old 11-22-16, 01:46 PM
jlin7
Rookie

Originally Posted by songoku
How long has it been since you purchased the vehicle?

Don't you have a certain period you can cancel the purchase and return the vehicle?

They only gave you like 3-4 days. I already had it for like almost 2 weeks.
Old 11-26-16, 04:22 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Not trying to jack the thread but are wheel bearings covered by the Lexus CPO warranty?
Mine was. Had a whine coming from the real axle and didn't know if it was the diff or a wheel bearing. They diagnosed the wheel bearing, replaced it and now it's back to silent.
Old 11-27-16, 08:05 AM
homerj227
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be surprised if Lexus doesn't fix this. The issue is the sensors don't work. Whether that requires replacing/reinstalling the sensors, replacing the windshield, or both, who knows. Your sensors should be guaranteed to work under the warranty. How they have to fix that shouldn't really matter. Instead of focusing on the windshield, I think this really should be handled as "customer reports sensors do not work." That is really the problem. The cause is for Lexus to find and fix. And you should be able to report the sensors not working at the dealer of your choice. I would just take the car to a dealer, tell them the sensors don't work, and let them handle it from there. It really is their problem and not yours.

Quick Reply: Need Some Advice - Bought a L/Certified (CPO) GS350 With Issues