GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Need Some Advice - Bought a L/Certified (CPO) GS350 With Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-16, 06:54 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by homerj227
I would be surprised if Lexus doesn't fix this. The issue is the sensors don't work. Whether that requires replacing/reinstalling the sensors, replacing the windshield, or both, who knows. Your sensors should be guaranteed to work under the warranty. How they have to fix that shouldn't really matter. Instead of focusing on the windshield, I think this really should be handled as "customer reports sensors do not work." That is really the problem. The cause is for Lexus to find and fix. And you should be able to report the sensors not working at the dealer of your choice. I would just take the car to a dealer, tell them the sensors don't work, and let them handle it from there. It really is their problem and not yours.
+1 Just take it in and tell them it is not working properly. I had a windshield replaced on my previous car (BMW). They used OEM glass (due to HUD) and I still had problems with several of the car's features (active cruise, rain sensing wipers and auto-high beam). So the issue may not have anything to do with the glass itself.
Old 11-28-16, 09:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,179 Likes on 1,562 Posts

The quick update is - Lexus inspected the OP's car and will be installing a new Lexus windshield and repairing the sensors as needed at no-cost to the owner.

Here is a more lengthy update for those of you wishing to know how this is going:

Lexus corporate requested that the OP have the problem inspected by a Lexus dealer, which was done by his local Lexus dealer. It was determined that the selling Lexus dealer had failed to detect that the windshield sensors did not work. The reason the windshield sensors did not work was because an incorrect aftermarket windshield had been installed.

Once it was determined what the root cause of the problem was - there was no question what needed to be done. However, Lexus wants the selling Lexus dealer (located hours away) to perform the work. This is being contested for numerous reasons. The OP is working with Lexus corporate to have the needed work performed at his local Lexus dealer - to my knowledge this has not been agreed to, or approved yet.

As I stated in a prior post - the selling dealer is fully responsible for their mistake and therefore they are fully responsible to bear the full cost to correct the problem. This is why Lexus corporate is wanting the owner of the car to deal with the selling dealer, however the selling dealer is located many hours away. It is my view that it should not be the owner's responsibility to bear the kind of inconvenience this presents, and Lexus corporate should go out-of-their-way to appease the owner...and not have the owner appeasing the selling dealer. Just to name a few of the many issues and inconveniences that come up with having to get the car to the selling dealer so they can perform the repair work is: transporting the car (drive it both ways?, trailer it?, haul it?, open or enclosed?), adding mileage on car not by owner, who will be driving the car and how will it be treated?, possible damage during transport, time away from employment to accomplish this, loaner car and what kind, etc., etc. Hopefully Lexus corporate will see how inconvenient and costly it would be to make the owner have the selling dealer perform the repairs, and hopefully Lexus corporate will agree to have the repair work performed at his local Lexus dealer and then have the local dealer charge the selling dealer a fair price for the work.

I fully expect the OP will post a message to let everyone know the outcome.
Old 11-28-16, 09:59 AM
jeffreyr
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the update. I am sure that many of us were following this ordeal, even if we did not have anything of note to add to the discussion. It is good to hear that there was little question of what should be done and who should pay for it, but I am similarly surprised that Lexus corporate would require that this be done by the original dealer, no matter what the inconvenience or impracticality. Hopefully they see the light on that. I'll be curious to read further updates.
Old 12-09-16, 03:09 PM
homerj227
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bclexus
The quick update is - Lexus inspected the OP's car and will be installing a new Lexus windshield and repairing the sensors as needed at no-cost to the owner.

Here is a more lengthy update for those of you wishing to know how this is going:

Lexus corporate requested that the OP have the problem inspected by a Lexus dealer, which was done by his local Lexus dealer. It was determined that the selling Lexus dealer had failed to detect that the windshield sensors did not work. The reason the windshield sensors did not work was because an incorrect aftermarket windshield had been installed.

Once it was determined what the root cause of the problem was - there was no question what needed to be done. However, Lexus wants the selling Lexus dealer (located hours away) to perform the work. This is being contested for numerous reasons. The OP is working with Lexus corporate to have the needed work performed at his local Lexus dealer - to my knowledge this has not been agreed to, or approved yet.

As I stated in a prior post - the selling dealer is fully responsible for their mistake and therefore they are fully responsible to bear the full cost to correct the problem. This is why Lexus corporate is wanting the owner of the car to deal with the selling dealer, however the selling dealer is located many hours away. It is my view that it should not be the owner's responsibility to bear the kind of inconvenience this presents, and Lexus corporate should go out-of-their-way to appease the owner...and not have the owner appeasing the selling dealer. Just to name a few of the many issues and inconveniences that come up with having to get the car to the selling dealer so they can perform the repair work is: transporting the car (drive it both ways?, trailer it?, haul it?, open or enclosed?), adding mileage on car not by owner, who will be driving the car and how will it be treated?, possible damage during transport, time away from employment to accomplish this, loaner car and what kind, etc., etc. Hopefully Lexus corporate will see how inconvenient and costly it would be to make the owner have the selling dealer perform the repairs, and hopefully Lexus corporate will agree to have the repair work performed at his local Lexus dealer and then have the local dealer charge the selling dealer a fair price for the work.

I fully expect the OP will post a message to let everyone know the outcome.
I'm curious, how did this end up?
Old 12-09-16, 03:50 PM
jlin7
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Per Lexus corporate, I took my GS to my local dealership to get the issues inspected. Immediately after the inspection, the selling dealership called me and offered to fix the issues and will pick-up/deliver the car and also provide me a loaner while the car is being worked on. To me at the time, it would be a faster and simpler approach, I really wanted to put the issues behind me and start enjoying the car. So I went ahead and agree to let the selling dealership fix the problems. But instead of having them pick/deliver the car, I dropped it off and took their loaner (if anybody is gonna put hours worth of miles on my car, it would be me).

In the end, they were able fixing the sensors and get them fit properly, and so they did not replace the aftermarket windshield and indicated it's the correct aftermarket windshield. Therefore I consider the result is just "acceptable", wouldn't consider it as "good" or "great". To me seems like they took a shortcut just to meet the bare requirements of the seller's responsibility, I could have had a good chance to have everything replaced to with genuine Lexus parts if I went through Lexus corporate and my local dealership.

At this moment, I'm not going to pursue further about the windshield, at least the sensors and other issues are fixed now and now I just want to enjoy the car...
Old 12-09-16, 05:46 PM
homerj227
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlin7
Per Lexus corporate, I took my GS to my local dealership to get the issues inspected. Immediately after the inspection, the selling dealership called me and offered to fix the issues and will pick-up/deliver the car and also provide me a loaner while the car is being worked on. To me at the time, it would be a faster and simpler approach, I really wanted to put the issues behind me and start enjoying the car. So I went ahead and agree to let the selling dealership fix the problems. But instead of having them pick/deliver the car, I dropped it off and took their loaner (if anybody is gonna put hours worth of miles on my car, it would be me).

In the end, they were able fixing the sensors and get them fit properly, and so they did not replace the aftermarket windshield and indicated it's the correct aftermarket windshield. Therefore I consider the result is just "acceptable", wouldn't consider it as "good" or "great". To me seems like they took a shortcut just to meet the bare requirements of the seller's responsibility, I could have had a good chance to have everything replaced to with genuine Lexus parts if I went through Lexus corporate and my local dealership.

At this moment, I'm not going to pursue further about the windshield, at least the sensors and other issues are fixed now and now I just want to enjoy the car...
OK, well enjoy! It's a great car and if everything is working correctly, just put this situation out of your mind and not worry about who made the windshield, etc.
The following users liked this post:
jlin7 (12-09-16)
Old 12-10-16, 01:06 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Yes...

Most people do not realize it, but vehicles can pass the car-maker's CPO standard even after being in an accident and having multiple panels (e.g. doors, quarter-panels, etc.) repaired and re-painted. However, most luxury car-maker's dealerships will elect to auction-off such vehicles instead of offering them as CPO.

Just like mine. The rear and front bumper had been repaired and repainted before I purchased it.