GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is the GS based of any other Toyota product?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 05:14 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by leg3ndary
They have to share components. I would find it hard to believe that the GS only uses GS designed parts..
Of course parts sharing does occur... Just look at your cruise control stalk. Parts sharing is very different than sharing the underpinnings with a Toyota. Toyota (aide from a few models overseas mentioned) does not have a RWD based car, and that alone makes the GS uniquely Lexus.
Old 11-23-16, 06:55 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

The Avalon and GS are in NO WAY alike. Jesus tapdancing Christ.
The following users liked this post:
bob256k (10-19-23)
Old 11-23-16, 01:23 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by leg3ndary
They have to share components. I would find it hard to believe that the GS only uses GS designed parts..
What you have to know is that Lexus is essentially an American brand. Many Lexus products are Toyotas in other countries. They may not be exactly like what we see, but they share platforms. . So the volumes are more than what we think of as Lexus.

I don't claim to be overly familiar with overseas cars, but the GX is a good example. It's nearly identical to the Prado in other countries (and it actually does share a platform with the 4Runner).
Old 11-23-16, 05:38 PM
KJD3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GS chassis is not shared with any Toyota.

The ES, NX, RX, Highlander, Venza, Rav-4, and Avalon all share the Camry platform, or variations of the Camry platform.
Old 11-24-16, 05:27 PM
2Squared
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes, it shares the same platform as the Corolla..............
Old 07-24-17, 02:46 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by dat dude
As we all know, Lexus shared its platforms with its parent company Toyota RX-ES= Camry etc etc. Having said that, does anyone know what the GS is based on, or is it a unique platform to Lexus?
Originally Posted by DallasDave
Great question, I was wondering the same thing last week.
Originally Posted by JDR76
The GS is a unique-to-Lexus platform. Also used by the IS. There is no Toyota equivalent.
OP, you are correct.
The post about GS using an unique-to-Lexus platform is NOT correct.

The GS is indeed a stylish & sporty modification based on the Japanese Domestic Market JDM Toyota Crown.
The original GS was actually styled in Italy by Giorgetto Giugiaro of Italdesign.

While the Corolla is Toyota's biggest selling nameplate, the Crown is Toyota's longest selling name plate, being on sale since 1955.

Originally Posted by Nixus
Only the 1st 2 gens had Toyota ( aristo ) siblings I believe, the 3rd and current gen are platforms designed for the GS and don't have a Toyota equivalent.
Originally Posted by JDR76
Correct. I'm referring to the current GS.
I believe the 3rd gen was shared with the Toyota Crown.
Lexus was originally only available in export markets, and there was NO Lexus dealership networks in Japan such that:
1) The LS was sold in Japan as the Toyota Celsior.
2) The GS was sold in Japan as the Toyota Aristo.
3) The ES was sold in Japan as the Toyota Windom.
4) The IS was sold in Japan as the Toyota Altezza.

By 2005, Lexus had established a dealership network in Japan.

The Japanese Domestic Market Toyota Crown actually comes in two additional variants called the Majesta [luxury], and Athlete [sports].
All four generations of Lexus GS's have been based on sporty styling and suspension modifications of the Japanese Domestic Toyota Crown.
The Lexus GS is just an even more sporty styling and suspension modification of the Crown.
The drivelines are all shared.

For example:
1983-87 Toyota Crown

1987-91 Toyota Crown

1991-95 Toyota Crown

Crown Majesta [luxury]

1991-98 Lexus GS [Toyota Aristo] 1st Gen

1995-99 Crown

Crown Majesta

1998-05 Lexus GS [2nd gen]

1999-03 Crown

Crown Majesta [luxury]

Crown Athlete [sports]

2003-08 Crown

2008-12 Crown

2005-12 Lexus GS [3rd gen]

2012-18 Crown Athlete [sports]

2012-19 Lexus GS [4th gen]

2018-onwards Toyota Crown

2019-26 Lexus 5GS [5th gen]???

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-24-17 at 03:15 PM.
Im2bz2p345 (09-21-19)
Old 07-24-17, 04:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

The important thing to realize is what somebody means when they ask "Is the GS based on any Toyota product?". They are asking about US Spec Toyota products, not products of Toyota in Japan or worldwide. The answer to that question is "no", the GS is not based on any Toyota platform or product available in the US, such as the ES being based off the Avalon, etc.
Old 07-24-17, 05:03 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dat dude
As we all know, Lexus shared its platforms with its parent company Toyota RX-ES= Camry etc etc. Having said that, does anyone know what the GS is based on, or is it a unique platform to Lexus?
Originally Posted by SW15LS
The important thing to realize is what somebody means when they ask "Is the GS based on any Toyota product?". They are asking about US Spec Toyota products, not products of Toyota in Japan or worldwide. The answer to that question is "no", the GS is not based on any Toyota platform or product available in the US, such as the ES being based off the Avalon, etc.
That's only "your assumption" about US spec Toyota products; the opening post is a general question.

In any case, before the deliberate creation of Lexus in the late 1980's, both the Toyota Cressida rear drive compact midsizer, and the Toyota Crown rear drive midsize - sharing the same platform & engines - was sold in international markets in left hand drive, including the USA.
It was the availability of the Lexus derivatives that created two tiers, and deliberately stopped the export of Toyota Cressidas and Crowns, from then on reserved solely for the Japanese Domestic Market.

1974-79 Toyota Crown

1979-83 Toyota Crown

1976-80 Toyota Cressida

1984-88 Toyota Cressida

1988-92 Toyota Cressida
Im2bz2p345 (09-21-19)
Old 07-24-17, 05:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've been posting on Lexus forums for a LONG time. Ask somebody who asks this question what they mean by it. I'm quite confident they mean US spec Toyota models, as in "what Toyota do I see on a regular basis that the GS is the Lexus version of". Most people think about models they know, not what is not sold in their home country.

As always, your many pictures are very nice but I'm not sure what point they serve...
Old 07-24-17, 05:42 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I've been posting on Lexus forums for a LONG time. Ask somebody who asks this question what they mean by it. I'm quite confident they mean US spec Toyota models, as in "what Toyota do I see on a regular basis that the GS is the Lexus version of". Most people think about models they know, not what is not sold in their home country.

As always, your many pictures are very nice but I'm not sure what point they serve...
Back in the 1970's and 1980's, many Americans owned luxury Toyotas, especially the Cressida.
In the early 1990's, these Cressidas and Crowns were replaced by Lexiis.
It is a name change - a dedicated luxury division for Toyota.
However, the underlying genetics remains the same.
Our 1988 Toyota Cressida already had twin cam 24 valve engine with 4 valves per head, and a four speed auto with lock up torque converter.
Our Cressida already had Toyota's metal-resin-metal sandwich firewall to reduce noise.
Our Cressida already had front double wishbone and rear multilink suspension to keep the tires perpendicular to the road surface to maximize grip.
Our Cressida had tremendous durability and reliability.
The name has changed, but underneath lies the same company with the very same DNA...
Claybo77 (09-23-19)
Old 07-24-17, 05:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Back in the 1970's and 1980's, many Americans owned luxury Toyotas, especially the Cressida.
In the early 1990's, these Cressidas and Crowns were replaced by Lexiis.
It is a name change - a dedicated luxury division for Toyota.
However, the underlying genetics remains the same.
Our 1988 Toyota Cressida already had twin cam 24 valve engine with 4 valves per head, and a four speed auto with lock up torque converter.
Our Cressida already had Toyota's metal-resin-metal sandwich firewall to reduce noise.
Our Cressida already had front double wishbone and rear multilink suspension to keep the tires perpendicular to the road surface to maximize grip.
Our Cressida had tremendous durability and reliability.
The name has changed, but underneath lies the same company with the very same DNA...
1. The Crown was never sold in the US, and even in Asian markets they sell the GS/Aristo alongside the Crown, so no Lexus replaced the Crown.
2. Your Cressida did not become any Lexus model, nor was it replaced in the lineup by Lexus or by a Lexus model. It was replaced by the Avalon, a full-sized car sold at the same price point and content level, with a US spec Camry derived transverse platform.

Of course the DNA is there, its the same company, but the Cressida did not become a Lexus, no Lexus was built off of any platform ever used for the Cressida.
Old 07-24-17, 06:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

1. The Crown was never sold in the US, and even in Asian markets they sell the GS/Aristo alongside the Crown, so no Lexus replaced the Crown.
2. Your Cressida did not become any Lexus model, nor was it replaced in the lineup by Lexus or by a Lexus model. It was replaced by the Avalon, a full-sized car sold at the same price point and content level, with a US spec Camry derived transverse platform.

Of course the DNA is there, its the same company, but the Cressida did not become a Lexus, no Lexus was built off of any platform ever used for the Cressida.
Point is, before your time - was the Mark II/Cressida and Crown - sharing the same platforms and engines.
Btw, I have seen a few left hand drive Toyota Crowns in the USA.
By the late 80's early 90's, Lexus GS came in, but GS shares the same platforms and engines with Mark II/Crown - only the skin deep styling and the suspension rates are different - there are now two minor variations of the same car for two different markets, similar to Benz E Class versus Benz CLS, or 5 Series versus 6 Series etc.

With the advent of technology, transport and communication, we are now "globalized", such that it is pertinent to view platforms and engines from a global perspective.
Old 07-24-17, 06:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Point is, before your time - was the Mark II/Cressida and Crown - sharing the same platforms and engines.
But thats not what we're talking about. Those vehicles were not Lexus vehicles and they are not currently made.

Btw, I have seen a few left hand drive Toyota Crowns in the USA.
Perhaps imported here, but never sold here.
Old 07-24-17, 06:52 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

But thats not what we're talking about. Those vehicles were not Lexus vehicles and they are not currently made.
Steve, you have to learn to be more open-minded, and mindful of how Americans from the 70's and 80's who have owned generations of Toyota Cressidas in the United States perceive the Lexus GS which shares platforms and engines with the Cressida/Mark II/Mark X/Crown - which is what this thread is about.

Focus on voicing your own opinions, rather than being opinionated and negative of someone else's opinions.
Claybo77 (09-23-19)
Old 07-24-17, 07:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's not about being open minded or not, we're talking about the Lexus GS and whether it's platform is shared with a Toyota model. All your discussion of Cressidas and whatever from decades and decades ago has nothing to do with the topic. The Cressida was an entirely different sort of car than the GS. The closest allegory to a modern Toyota is the Avalon, and that was the car Toyota released to replace the Cressida in its lineup. I have two uncles who had Cressidas in the 80s and 90s...what does one of them have now? An Avalon.

It's fine to have an opinion, but ones own version of facts are not opinions. You can't have an opinion that the Crown was sold here. It wasn't.

The only point I made was I think when most people ask this question they mean what US Toyota model.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-24-17 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the GS based of any other Toyota product?