A/C compressor ,2013 gs 350

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-16, 07:59 AM
SAID
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor ,2013 gs 350

Hi
A/c compressor is always on , it does not cut off regardless of the temperature I chose , is this normal ?
Old 11-24-16, 10:16 AM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, its normal for the GS! This is the only car I have ever owned that does not have a button on the dash to turn off the A/C compressor so that you can just let fresh outside un-airconditioned air come in. In order to do this (.i.e. turn off the compressor), you have to go into the climate control menu, select three dots at the bottom (...), which then displays some options, and then deselect AC. This turns off the compressor and will allow just fresh outside air to still come in as long as you have the fan on. On the 2016 you still have to go into the menu, but at least it is labeled and not three dots!

What makes no sense is that Lexus has all of this eco and s-flow stuff to conserve via ac settings, but then makes it difficult to turnoff the compressor itself??

Now, if you are having trouble with achieving a set temperature, hotter or colder, that is a different issue, and you need to go in to dealer for fix.
Old 11-24-16, 01:04 PM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gflexus
Yes, its normal for the GS! This is the only car I have ever owned that does not have a button on the dash to turn off the A/C compressor so that you can just let fresh outside un-airconditioned air come in. In order to do this (.i.e. turn off the compressor), you have to go into the climate control menu, select three dots at the bottom (...), which then displays some options, and then deselect AC. This turns off the compressor and will allow just fresh outside air to still come in as long as you have the fan on. On the 2016 you still have to go into the menu, but at least it is labeled and not three dots!

What makes no sense is that Lexus has all of this eco and s-flow stuff to conserve via ac settings, but then makes it difficult to turnoff the compressor itself??

Now, if you are having trouble with achieving a set temperature, hotter or colder, that is a different issue, and you need to go in to dealer for fix.
Yup, this is the single most frustrating feature on this car by far.
Old 11-24-16, 02:13 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

I suspect this is for reliability, having it continuously run is better than having it constantly kicking on and off. Also keeps moisture in cabin low for comfort.
Old 11-24-16, 02:52 PM
phins2rt
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DP03
Yup, this is the single most frustrating feature on this car by far.
I agree! I was very surprised by this. I thought maybe I was missing something but I guess not. Does anyone know if there is a voice command to turn off the AC instead of going into the menu?
Old 11-24-16, 04:05 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

You can set it up so that the compressor can be toggled by the recirculating air/auto/fresh air button. I believe it's in one of the setup menus. This is how I turn mine on and off.
Old 11-24-16, 04:24 PM
phins2rt
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddyduddy
You can set it up so that the compressor can be toggled by the recirculating air/auto/fresh air button. I believe it's in one of the setup menus. This is how I turn mine on and off.
Cool! Thanks!
Old 11-24-16, 04:49 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,543 Posts

If Lexus does not provide an easy method to turn Off the A/C compressor - Lexus does not want you to turn it Off. The Automatic Temperature Control computer system is designed to be much smarter than the driver or an occupant.

Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) systems require a complex array of internal and external sensors including ambient air temperature sensors, interior temperature sensors, outlet duct and evaporator temperature sensors, pressure sensors, humidity sensors, blend door position sensors and sunload sensors. On some vehicles there’s even a global positioning sensor (GPS) that allows the control module to determine the vehicle’s orientation to the sun so it can increase cooling on the side facing the sun and decrease cooling on the shaded side. Some vehicles also use passive infrared sensors mounted in the dash or an overhead console to monitor the body temperature of the vehicle’s occupants. This allows the system to fine-tune heating and cooling so everybody stays comfortable.

One of the biggest problems auto makers face today is that many motorists don’t fully understand their ATC systems. They may not understand which buttons do what or why. This can sometimes lead to complaints about poor cooling when in fact the system is operating normally. When a vehicle is first started, the system logic may prevent it from blowing hot or cold air until the engine has run a certain length of time or reached a certain operating temperature. The operating logic will choose which ducts the hot or cold air blows out of as well as the fan speed and the position of the recirculation doors. Most ATC systems have a manual override mode or semi-automatic mode that allows the driver to control more of its functions, but even some manual control modes must pass through the computer and be acceptable to the operating logic. The logic may dictate that the system go into the recirculation mode to maximize cooling when a vehicle is first started on a hot day, or it may not. Most systems will not turn the A/C compressor on if ambient temperatures are below freezing. Most will run the A/C compressor when the system is in the defrost mode to dehumidify the air.

One of the most common mistakes that’s made with manual A/C systems (or trying to make a ATC system into a manual system) is choosing recirculation mode during cold, wet weather. When the humidity inside the vehicle is higher than outside the vehicle, cold damp weather causes the windows to fog over. The defrosters may not do a very good job of clearing the glass unless recirculation is discontinued or the windows are opened. ATC systems don’t make that mistake because most are programmed to let in fresh air when in the defrost mode. Semi-automatic A/C control systems maintain a constant air temperature inside the vehicle by monitoring existing operating conditions and anticipating changes that are needed to keep the cabin at the preset comfort level. This includes controlling the compressor (cycling the clutch on and off or changing the duty cycle of a variable displacement compressor), changing the position of the blend air doors and adjusting the blower speed as needed.

Fully automatic A/C control systems go even further and turn on the defrosters when needed, which may also include electric defrost for the rear window and heated mirrors. Some luxury vehicles even have heated seats that are controlled by the ATC system, so it’s important to know what the ATC system controls and what inputs it uses before you try to start altering how it is designed by the experts to work.

Set the temperature where you find it comfortable for you and let the ATC system do its job as it is designed to do.
Old 11-24-16, 06:31 PM
SAID
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all,this is really new to me, the A/C compressor is always engaged with the radiator cooling fans running too even if i set the temp on High , My concern is the fuel consumption while the A/C compressor is always running . It should shut off and the cooling fans automatically when the set temp reached like other cars even like my split unit at home but it does not.why do i have to switched it off manually?!!

Last edited by SAID; 11-24-16 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-24-16, 07:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SAID
Thank you all,this is really new to me, the A/C compressor is always engaged with the radiator cooling fans running too even if i set the temp on High , My concern is the fuel consumption while the A/C compressor is always running . It should shut off and the cooling fans automatically when the set temp reached like other cars even like my split unit at home but it does not.why do i have to switched it off manually?!!
Lexus does not want you to turn Off the A/C compressor - just like Lexus does not want you to turn Off the ignition when stopped at a stop light.

The difference in fuel consumption would negligible. If you are really concerned about fuel consumption in a $50,000 luxury vehicle then add an extra 1-2 psi to the tires and drive in ECO mode all the time.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-24-16 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-25-16, 09:47 AM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

What? The car knows best??No wonder self-driving cars are coming!! I wouldn’t have expected that attitude on a car enthusiast forum.

Of course, the car should have an AC compressor ‘on and off’ switch…as they have had for decades and as most other cars still do. It’s not a matter of how smart the technology supposedly is or saving gas; it’s a matter of personal comfort.For those of us who live in low humidity parts of the country, it is not comfortable to have the ac compressor “always on” (almost regardless of set temperature).If you believe the car knows best, you end up with a situation like we had a few months ago when some Lexus system up-date sent out by satellite shut down most of the electronics on hundreds of thousands of cars all over the nation without any warning. And now we are expected to trust that system to set our personal comfort level and drive our cars too?
Old 11-25-16, 11:42 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gflexus
What? The car knows best??No wonder self-driving cars are coming!! I wouldn’t have expected that attitude on a car enthusiast forum.

Of course, the car should have an AC compressor ‘on and off’ switch…as they have had for decades and as most other cars still do. It’s not a matter of how smart the technology supposedly is or saving gas; it’s a matter of personal comfort.For those of us who live in low humidity parts of the country, it is not comfortable to have the ac compressor “always on” (almost regardless of set temperature).If you believe the car knows best, you end up with a situation like we had a few months ago when some Lexus system up-date sent out by satellite shut down most of the electronics on hundreds of thousands of cars all over the nation without any warning. And now we are expected to trust that system to set our personal comfort level and drive our cars too?

Your comments beg the question; 'Why does Lexus not put an On/Off button to control the A/C compressor?'
Old 11-25-16, 03:53 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

I haven't come across any automated climate control system that was "smart" enough to cycle the compressor on & off by itself. Because of that, I am old school, and want a switch to easily turn it off and on manually.

Ideally what I would want in a vehicle is you set a temperature.. give it +/- x degrees of variation. then let it do it's thing by cycling off the compressor. For example, I want the inside car to be at a "set temperature" of 75 degree with 3 degree of variation positive or negative. So if the temperature rose up to 76 degree, it would do nothing.. if it rose up to 77 degree, it would do nothing.. if it rose up to 78, it would do nothing.. but as soon as the internal temperature touches 78.1, the system should kick on with the A/C to bring the temperature back to the "set temperature" of 75. Then turn off and just blow cool air.

If the temperature went the other way.. down past 72 degrees, it would the same thing to bring the temperature up, but then blow warm/hot air instead (since the HVAC unit would be "smart" enough to know that the internal temperature has a tendency to either fall or rise over time).

If you want to really take it one step further & be able to truly customize the vehicle HVAC unit.. you should be able to set a separate higher variation and lower variation threshold.

This degree of "variation" is something that units in your home also have. They don't run the compressor 24/7 nor do they run when the temperature drops only 0.5 degrees or 1 degree.

Just my two cents as I feel car HVAC units still have a long way to go to being "smart."

~ Im2bz2p345

P.S. - I (personally) hate that on AUTO mode, the unit will below at maximum fan speed.. which is so loud that you can't even hear fellow passengers. Why not blow at 1-2 fan speeds less than at maximum? Yes, it may take a bit longer to bring the temperature to the ideal, but a least my head & ears don't get annoyed.
Old 11-26-16, 08:02 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

See Personalized Setting #9 ► http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/GS_with_nav_LPS.pdf

#9. Auto A/C Mode When Auto A/C is selected:
□ It will automatically engage the air conditioner compressor to reach the set temperature. (Standard) = On
□ It will automatically achieve a set temperature, warm or cool, without engaging the air conditioner compressor.* = Off
* Note: The AC compressor will be engaged when the auto AC button is pressed a second time.
Old 11-27-16, 09:52 AM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I keep mine on the second setting, and then I use the recirculating air/auto/fresh air button to toggle the compressor on and off.

Incidentally, my last four cars have had automatic digital climate control. With the 89 and 93 Pontiacs I had, when I selected "Auto" mode, the compressor was always on, except in extreme temperatures. I had to select "Econ" mode to run the system with the compressor off. My 99 BMW had an A/C toggle button (with a snowflake on it) that allowed me to turn the compressor on and off. With this Lexus I use the method above to toggle it on and off. I don't like the compressor running all of the time for three reasons: 1) fuel economy, 2) when it's on the air comes out colder than I would like for a given temperature setting, and 3) unnecessary wear and tear on the compressor.

Originally Posted by bclexus
See Personalized Setting #9 ► http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/GS_with_nav_LPS.pdf

#9. Auto A/C Mode When Auto A/C is selected:
□ It will automatically engage the air conditioner compressor to reach the set temperature. (Standard) = On
□ It will automatically achieve a set temperature, warm or cool, without engaging the air conditioner compressor.* = Off
* Note: The AC compressor will be engaged when the auto AC button is pressed a second time.

Quick Reply: A/C compressor ,2013 gs 350