GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mark Levinson or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-16 | 11:59 AM
Dkp1111
Driver

Originally Posted by Dkp1111
My 2016 gs350 has ml, last week took a loaner 2016 gs350 non ml to a long trip out of town. Would say i missed my ML! The bass is nicer, trep and mid much better. Both have 12 speakers but the sound is no comparison. Sound system is the option that you will use the most out of all so i think it is worth to wait for it. (Has the technology package with adapt cruise control, but I don't even use it ()

Cars ship to dealer everyday, check on cars.com for dealer inventory. Rule #1 never rush when you purchase a car.
out of all factory premium system, ml rated the highest over those Bose, klipsch on others makes.
Old 12-10-16 | 04:03 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dkp1111
My 2016 gs350 has ml, last week took a loaner 2016 gs350 non ml to a long trip out of town. Would say i missed my ML! The bass is nicer, trep and mid much better. Both have 12 speakers but the sound is no comparison. Sound system is the option that you will use the most out of all so i think it is worth to wait for it. (Has the technology package with adapt cruise control, but I don't even use it
The standard system has 12 speakers, while the Mark Levinson has 17 speakers. I agree that sound system is a worthwhile upgrade due to amount of use.
Old 12-10-16 | 11:58 PM
Dkp1111
Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
The standard system has 12 speakers, while the Mark Levinson has 17 speakers. I agree that sound system is a worthwhile upgrade due to amount of use.
thank you for the correction. After sone research there are 2 speakers on each location 😍. Nowonder it sound real nice.
Old 12-11-16 | 07:33 PM
10tlshawd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks i was searching trying to figure out what the difference was between the standard and mark levinson.I was told the standard had 2 speakers less.
Old 12-11-16 | 08:01 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Disclaimer, I'm not positive on this one, so please feel free to fact-check it. I believe the ML cars come with the 'acoustic' glass on the front windows, and I'm not so sure on the non-ML equipped cars. The acoustic glass is labeled "Lamisafe" and the normal is labeled "Temperlite." Sometimes every little bit helps for quietness.

Audio is an interesting thing, despite the objective science to it, much of it comes down to subjective personal preference. I was quite unimpressed with the stock audio and, while I wouldn't have paid that premium just to get ML, am glad I found my car with it.
The following users liked this post:
Afrosheen (12-12-16)
Old 12-12-16 | 08:12 AM
ECL
Instructor

Originally Posted by spoogenet
Disclaimer, I'm not positive on this one, so please feel free to fact-check it. I believe the ML cars come with the 'acoustic' glass on the front windows, and I'm not so sure on the non-ML equipped cars. The acoustic glass is labeled "Lamisafe" and the normal is labeled "Temperlite." Sometimes every little bit helps for quietness.
My 2013 F-Sport has ML, and the glass is labeled "Temperlite."
Old 12-12-16 | 02:09 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spoogenet
Unfortunately, that isn't correct; Mark Levinson cars aren't equipped with acoustic/laminated front side windows. My 2013 with ML didn't have the laminated windows, my 2015 with ML did have the laminated windows, but my 2017 with ML doesn't have laminated windows; they are all F-sport without the cold weather package. I'm not sure what Lexus' thinking process is in determining what GS get the laminated windows.
Old 12-12-16 | 08:05 PM
sakuragrl
Driver School Candidate

I have ML for my GS and I love the sound. It is super clear and rich more than the RX I have with stock speakers. I think 1400 is so much for upgraded speakers.
Old 12-12-16 | 09:16 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Thanks for chiming in with the fact-checks!
Old 12-13-16 | 12:59 PM
rodnex
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, that isn't correct; Mark Levinson cars aren't equipped with acoustic/laminated front side windows. My 2013 with ML didn't have the laminated windows, my 2015 with ML did have the laminated windows, but my 2017 with ML doesn't have laminated windows; they are all F-sport without the cold weather package. I'm not sure what Lexus' thinking process is in determining what GS get the laminated windows.
haha, that's so true. I think some of the features at the assembly plant are just chosen on the spot, whatever is in the grab-next-box lol

My base GS was not supposed to have water repellent front windows... but I've got them... and probably some more stuff that I didn't find yet
Old 12-15-16 | 04:18 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

I think all or most GS450Hs have laminated windows. I have a pretty basic GS450H. No ML and no premium seats, steering wheel, and LED headlights. Heard that the ML usually goes out quicker or people have issues with it's longevity down the line.. not entirely sure how accurate that is, but I've never heard of anyone saying that they were having issues with their stock sound.. like having to replace the amp, speakers, and etc.
That being said.. the stock sound on the GS350 isn't bad at all. You may need to supplement it with a subwoofer because it's really lacking in bass, but besides that.. that's about it. If it comes with ML.. great. That'll be a nice addition, but I wouldn't make it a make or break kind of deal when deciding on which car to buy.
Old 12-16-16 | 11:19 AM
10tlshawd
Driver School Candidate

was told by a local dealer or at least this was from the internet department.That there not building any in my part of the US with the Mark Levinson option.Would have to be a special order or get one trucked in from another state at my expense.Doesn't sound right.I am sure they just want me to buy the ones they have on the lot now.
Old 12-17-16 | 08:14 AM
DGS23
Driver School Candidate

I had the Mark levinson in my 2014 GS F sport and will never get a lexus without it night and day and now my wife has a 2016 RX F sport with mark levinson it worth the money if you want top notch music quality
Old 12-17-16 | 07:26 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Default Ml

Yes it i an expensive addition. This is my 5th Lexus with 1st with ML. Simply amazing.
Old 12-17-16 | 09:41 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

I recently bought another FSports and the ML sound was a deal breaker for me. I listen to music all the time and wanted to have the best sound possible.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson or not?