GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Moving on, but still lurking

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 05:18 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave144239
Check out the V90 Wagon. I think that's the best looking Volvo I've ever seen.
Yeap new valvo wagons are hot. Seen soo many in my neighborhood.
Old 12-12-16, 07:33 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Is the V90 wagon out in the US already? Thought it was coming next year, the V60 is what's available for now. Then the Polestar version is due after that for both models.

To answer a question earlier, it does have both Apple car and android auto. I read some older review from June and at that time it was only Apple. There was some big software update in November that added Android I believe.

Many thanks for the congratulations. I'm still getting accustomed to all the bells and whistles and believe it or not it turns heads. I don't think anyone has one of these around here yet.

I will tell you one thing, every car needs the light bending technology. It's crazy to watch in action, no more invisible curbs during left and right turns. My friend has an older CTS-V coupe with that and I was jealous.
Old 12-12-16, 09:33 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Is the V90 wagon out in the US already? Thought it was coming next year, the V60 is what's available for now. Then the Polestar version is due after that for both models.

To answer a question earlier, it does have both Apple car and android auto. I read some older review from June and at that time it was only Apple. There was some big software update in November that added Android I believe.

Many thanks for the congratulations. I'm still getting accustomed to all the bells and whistles and believe it or not it turns heads. I don't think anyone has one of these around here yet.

I will tell you one thing, every car needs the light bending technology. It's crazy to watch in action, no more invisible curbs during left and right turns. My friend has an older CTS-V coupe with that and I was jealous.
Never understood the rational of Lexus and the adaptive headlights on the GS. The luxury model gets them but the sport doesn't. Are we the ones that need it the most when we're carving corners in the heat of the night?

Congrats on the new purchase! In interested in know how functional the center stack interface is in comparison to Lexus' RTI.
Old 12-12-16, 08:07 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Polestar. Very nice. Please post your review when they up your power...

Was the XC90 more dough than tha sedan?
Old 12-12-16, 11:45 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Polestar. Very nice. Please post your review when they up your power...

Was the XC90 more dough than tha sedan?
Yeah, alot more metal and interior stuff I guess, as it has the same underpinnings and drivetrain. I saw some specced out north of 72k MSRP. I really liked the R Design interiors also. If I was a little more well-heeled and needed to haul more people around it'd be an easy choice to make. The turbo/supercharged 4 is no slouch.

I'll post some seat of the pants impressions once I get the Polestar tune. I'm still learning my way around this strange beast. It has a memory setting to keep the car in Dynamic mode between restarts, but it's not 100%, as in some options get switched to comfort. Also the engine start/stop can't be permanently disabled; you can turn it off each time you get in the car, but between restarts it comes back on. Pretty annoying if you ask me, because when the light turns green and the engine is off, the brakes are engaged for half a second while it starts the engine AFTER you gouge the throttle to make it go. For a car that gets 26mpg city, I don't need it hassling me at stoplights.

The whole "dynamic mode doesn't stick" or stick the way I expect it to has led me to believe the car underperforms and steers worse at times, until I roll the little log and actually choose Dynamic on the screen, and then everything is right with the world. Probably need to read up on it.
Old 01-11-17, 08:57 AM
Starfire15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Afrosheen - would you please post a comparison between GS and S90 in terms of interior dimensions, power, drive and overall day-to day livability? Since they announced R-Design V90 will be available in the US via a special order I think I found my next car
Old 01-11-17, 11:10 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

How much is the lease on the S90? I was looking at the XC90 after lexus maybe
Old 01-18-17, 10:13 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Absolutely love this car. Something about it I've always liked. Please keep us posted on any issues, likes, dislikes etc....
Old 01-23-17, 09:22 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Starfire15
Hey Afrosheen - would you please post a comparison between GS and S90 in terms of interior dimensions, power, drive and overall day-to day livability? Since they announced R-Design V90 will be available in the US via a special order I think I found my next car
Interior space: GS gets the win. I feel alot fatter in the S90 because they absolutely bury the seatbelt connector next to the seat. The console bin is also miniature, barely enough to get an elbow on. The dead pedal comes out way too far and is an uncomfortable angle. Keep in mind I'm 6' 7" so these problems won't affect everyone. I do have a lot more headroom in the S90 even with the sunroof. Power, after the updates and Polestar, it's equal if not better than the GS. Power on the highway is effortless, a little nudge on the pedal and you've moved from 70 to 80 without much drama under the hood. Power around town is markedly increased now also. It will hold 3rd gear most of the time around 35mph so it's ready to shove you forward if you need it. Before the updates, it was looking for higher gears and sluggish to respond to throttle inputs regardless of the mode. Drive is hard to compare since it's a FWD car that kicks RWD in also as needed, but the car (even being heavier) feels more solid and planted than the GS. With optional 20" wheels and Pirelli PZero's, it sits low and plows over road imperfections like a bulldozer, even though tire noise seems pronounced, they included laminated glass on this model which cuts the noise down from outside. Over day to day, it's a nice driver that gets compliments. Also has an absolutely massive trunk and fairly spacious seating in the rear. The BW stereo system is probably the best system ever put in a car from the factory.

Originally Posted by djrabbi
How much is the lease on the S90? I was looking at the XC90 after lexus maybe
They are (or were) offering conquest from Lexus, Mercedes, and BMW owners, to the tune of 4k. There may be other discounts to be had, but Volvo is very thin margin, so I wouldn't try to chisel them too hard. The invoice vs. price on accessories can be as low as $50. Also there's the European delivery option you can take advantage of for a trip to Sweden for a few days if you special order. My lease, with zero down on a 64k car, minus conquest, landed at 700 per month, 39/12k. Not the greatest, but not the worst. I left some meat on the bone for the dealer/salesman. You can't abuse the numbers like you can on a high volume Lexus dealership, they simply don't have the padding to subtract.

Originally Posted by greg3852
Absolutely love this car. Something about it I've always liked. Please keep us posted on any issues, likes, dislikes etc....
The Polestar upgrade may not be a must for everyone since the latest total system update. Shift points and throttle response was already addressed, Polestar just takes them to a higher level. There are still some very Swedish oddities, like only firing the high pressure headlight washers 1 out of 5 times you hit the windshield washers, to save fluid. I will say the heated fluid is pretty nice. One day ice was forming on stuff and the windshield was dirty, I used the wipers and it didn't leave ice on the glass. Tried that on my GS once (with factory crap in the pipe) and it smeared a sheet of ice across the windshield. That comes down to what's in the fluid tank of course.

Last edited by Afrosheen; 01-23-17 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-23-17, 04:03 PM
dwayne4lex
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Really like the front on a lot of the new Volvo vehicles but I can't say the same for the rear.
I agree. The rear end is awful but the rest of the car is nice. Is Volvo still owned by Ford?
Old 01-23-17, 06:12 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by dwayne4lex
I agree. The rear end is awful but the rest of the car is nice. Is Volvo still owned by Ford?
Nope. Owned by Chinese company Geely now. They invested tons of money into Volvo to revitalize the brand.
Old 01-23-17, 07:13 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dwayne4lex
I think they know it. In the current S90 ads they're airing here, they show plenty of the front and sides, and the rear for maybe half a second at the end.