GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Any other CAI beside Takeda?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 11:46 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I have the takeda intake and I think it sounds amazing! The RR racing may not be a bad option, it would be pretty nice to raise the rev limiter.
Old 10-23-17, 02:36 PM
linqbeast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So that's really the only reason to get the CAI alone - just for the sound??
Old 10-23-17, 03:45 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by linqbeast
So that's really the only reason to get the CAI alone - just for the sound??
CAI in general don't usually make much noticeable power increase, in alot of cars. There was alot of blowback on AFE when I was on the BMW boards that alot of people lost power from the expensive intakes they bought and AFE would put up big increase numbers to advertise them, at least for the e60 chassis. I may have gained some power with the takeda, I don't really know for sure, it feels good and the sound in going to be mainly the difference. It depends on the design, I will say that the Takeda is a good design using the stock air intake ducks to push air into the filter. Many intakes just have a filter sitting in the engine bay absorbing hot air so alot of stock designs would yield a better result although not as loud. HPS uses the same stock design just a different tube, it allows the sound generator to be used. I was worried about the sound generator because I think even stock it sounded good, but with the Takeda I didn't need it. It sounds almost like a V8 when you get on it and very aggressive. I love the combo of that intake with my apexi accel on red mode. HPS won't really have any increased sound, you may have a slight HP increase, I don't know for sure. The dyno sheets the companies put out always show a slight increase but how that translates to actual driving performance is anyones guess.
Old 10-23-17, 04:11 PM
linqbeast
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the extended reply.

What you said is basically my understanding. I've read the CAI can actually reduce overall HP... and that you really need a 15% increase in HP to feel anything.

Couple questions:

(1) What do you mean when you say the Takeda "... feels good"? Just the sound? Notice any other differences?
(2) What is an "apexi accel on red mode"? What does it do? Eliminate initial hesitation when giving car gas?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-17, 04:25 PM
linqbeast
Driver School Candidate

Found this about the Apexi mod...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...d-threads.html
Old 10-23-17, 05:35 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by linqbeast
Thanks for the extended reply.

What you said is basically my understanding. I've read the CAI can actually reduce overall HP... and that you really need a 15% increase in HP to feel anything.

Couple questions:

(1) What do you mean when you say the Takeda "... feels good"? Just the sound? Notice any other differences?
(2) What is an "apexi accel on red mode"? What does it do? Eliminate initial hesitation when giving car gas?

Thanks!
I don't really remember what it felt like before powerwise, its hard to tell from the last time I drove it without one. Things such as temp outside humidity can affect how it feels. When I first installed it I felt like I had a power increase, and it sounded like a V8. For me there was no downside, I've had alot of intakes on cars before some that I regretted. I had throttle accelerators on other cars and got used to them, so when I get in a car that doesn't have it I feel a hesitation. The apexi has 9 modes, red is the most responsive, it removes any throttle lag, in red mode the throttle response is near instant. Takes some getting used to with driving but I really like it. You can adjust it if you don't want to have such a feather on the throttle since barely tapping the throttle can shoot the car forward. You will generally see positive feedback about it, its hard to describe if you haven't used it. Combined with having awd the car can really shoot off the line, it definitely improves the driving experience in these cars imo. The paddles are very responsive with this on, not much lag at all, almost feels like DCT.
Old 10-23-17, 07:14 PM
FSportTX
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres a clip of mine in action. I love it... definitely feels a little quicker when its cool outside.

Old 10-26-17, 05:55 AM
nnguyen04
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by khizr23
I am selling mines if your interested

still have this? pm me pls
Old 10-26-17, 12:09 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 413 Likes on 251 Posts

I have Lems intake, just eye candy really but available if someone makes a decent offer.
Old 10-26-17, 11:18 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportTX
Heres a clip of mine in action. I love it... definitely feels a little quicker when its cool outside.

This is honestly one of the best videos that gives a real representation of what the intake sounds like