GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carpet vs Rubber Floor Mats

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-16, 06:23 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by PAPI007
Carpet mats definitely! Rubber mats look cheap in a Lexus in my opinion, even the factory ones.
Nothing looks cheaper than salt stains on carpet. But I guess it's one of those pains that you guys in Texas, Florida, and Cali would never understand...

Old 12-22-16, 01:13 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Originally Posted by er34
Nothing looks cheaper than salt stains on carpet. But I guess it's one of those pains that you guys in Texas, Florida, and Cali would never understand...
Yuk! I just couldn't deal with that mess. That would drive me absolutely crazy.
Old 12-22-16, 01:26 PM
jeffreyr
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Yuk! I just couldn't deal with that mess. That would drive me absolutely crazy.
You California and Texas guys are probably not the prime candidates for the all weather mats. My recently purchased 2016 came with both types of mats, and I had the dealer put the all weather mats on from the get-go. Especially with winter having arrived here in the northeast, these mats get dirty real quickly.
Old 12-22-16, 01:59 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 545 Likes on 396 Posts

You can see from the pic. that the factory mats don't protect the carpet like the W-Tech's do. The all weather Lexus mats are cut the same as the carpeted mats.
Old 12-22-16, 02:26 PM
DJP333
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

WeatherTechs all the way. I have used them now in 3 cars and will be a life long customer. I live in Texas also.
Old 12-22-16, 05:37 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by er34

Oppps this reminds me of my cousins car in Calgary Canada where they have too much rain/snow fall all year long.
Old 12-30-16, 07:38 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Being on the East Coast and closer to the North, the all-weather is a must! Even if I lived in Texas, I would still do...gives me piece of mind knowing I won't be staining any carpet mats.
Old 12-31-16, 10:05 AM
CouveGS
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

I just bought the Lexus all weather mats off amazon for less than $100. High quality and me being from the NW, they are a must have.
Old 12-31-16, 01:38 PM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Lexus all weather mats and I'm not impressed. They are thin, and not deep enough for snowy weather. I use them on top of my carpeted mats up front, unless I'm taking people out, as I think the rubber mats (any rubber mats) detract from the looks of the interior.
Old 01-01-17, 08:51 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Weathertech digital floor liners in all my vehicles except the GS. I like the look and feel of the carpet mats in the GS plus I get to do this when I vacuum.
Old 01-02-17, 05:45 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

Depends on the color of your interior. Black interior may show more dust/dirt/salt, but you can give those a good cleaning and they'll be fine. Once you stain the tan colored interior, they're toast.

I like the look of the carpet better, but the practicality of the rubber mats is a no brainer. Very easy to clean.
Old 01-02-17, 07:40 AM
LFinesse
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have all 3 types of floor mats, Lexus carpet, Lexus rubber and WeatherTech Floor Liner and in my experience and opinion the Floor Liner is the better product than rubber mats.
The Lexus carpet mat has the best look and feel, however I've replaced them with Floor Liners because it provides the best protection and easy of cleaning for frequent everyday use.

Floor Liner
- High side walls, acts like a catch basin. Retains all dirt, debris, mud, water within the "basin". Debris doesn't get onto the sides.
- Easy to clean. Can be cleaned in place without removing (however I still remove it to wash them down)

Rubber Mat
- Low side walls. Debris will get onto the side of the mat onto the carpet floor. Better than carpet but not as good for water and snow use.
- Personally, the floor liner looks better than the rubber mat. It has that snug custom fit.
- More cleaning effort. More cleaning effort for the rubber material and rubber ribs/ridges.

Last edited by LFinesse; 01-02-17 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Incomplete posting
Old 01-02-17, 08:15 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

Unless WeatherTech changed their material, the floor liners I once had were very slippery. I did like how high they went around the sides, but didn't like my feet sliding around on them.
Old 01-02-17, 09:19 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LFinesse
I have all 3 types of floor mats, Lexus carpet, Lexus rubber and WeatherTech Floor Liner and in my experience and opinion the Floor Liner is the better product than rubber mats.
The Lexus carpet mat has the best look and feel, however I've replaced them with Floor Liners because it provides the best protection and easy of cleaning for frequent everyday use.

Floor Liner
- High side walls, acts like a catch basin. Retains all dirt, debris, mud, water within the "basin". Debris doesn't get onto the sides.
- Easy to clean. Can be cleaned in place without removing (however I still remove it to wash them down)

Rubber Mat
- Low side walls. Debris will get onto the side of the mat onto the carpet floor. Better than carpet but not as good for water and snow use.
- Personally, the floor liner looks better than the rubber mat. It has that snug custom fit.
- More cleaning effort. More cleaning effort for the rubber material and rubber ribs/ridges.
You're pleased with the fitment of the Floor Liner? Do they say secured or do the move around?
Old 01-02-17, 09:42 AM
LFinesse
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06ls430KTC
You're pleased with the fitment of the Floor Liner? Do they say secured or do the move around?
Yes, very pleased with the fit. It is close to skin tight :-) to the floor. My front liners are secured the same way as the original Lexus mats, that is, with the two retention clips.
It won't move and cannot be removed unless you release the retention clips.

It's not perfect but I consider it the best option. I would prefer if the liner completely covered the left foot rest and because my gas pedal pivots on the floor there is no way for the liner to be designed under and behind the gas pedal.

WeatherTech Floor Liner

Quick Reply: Carpet vs Rubber Floor Mats