GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

test driven 2015 gs 350 vs bmw 528

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 08:26 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it just me or do the side profiles of the tail lights look extremely identical between the 5 series Ford Fusion?
Attached Thumbnails test driven 2015 gs 350 vs bmw 528-photo412.jpg   test driven 2015 gs 350 vs bmw 528-photo327.jpg  
Old 12-27-16, 08:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

No more so than they do on a ton of other vehicles.
Old 12-28-16, 03:43 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

well thats where the struggle lies, you brought up a good point the tail lights look similar. but its the thought, sweat equity that has gone into the detail that reminds me of my 98 ls400. its caring about touch points, taking some risks, and providing customers with a technology advantage, a cutting edge powertrain, a design that flows in and out, an experience with touch capacitor air climate system, the touch screen lcd for nav and radio, gesture controls and 35-40 mpg on the highway
thats where my struggle lyes buying a 15 cpo gs350. the time has come to possibly go over to the darker side, ill miss the reliability but life is a gamble and like clint eastwood said, tomorrow is promised to no one, thats how bmw is designing vehicles not our beloved lexus
Old 12-28-16, 04:45 AM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Is it just me or do the side profiles of the tail lights look extremely identical between the 5 series Ford Fusion?
Not really, sedans look fairly similar in shape that's the nature of the beast. The side profiles on these cars are not really anything alike other than 3box/4door design. The tail lights have a similar shape but they're tail lights....also, my guess would be up close they are not alike at all. The tail lights on my 3 series have a distinct character line that doesn't show up in smaller photos, similar details are probably on the G30.
Old 12-28-16, 06:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
well thats where the struggle lies, you brought up a good point the tail lights look similar. but its the thought, sweat equity that has gone into the detail that reminds me of my 98 ls400. its caring about touch points, taking some risks, and providing customers with a technology advantage, a cutting edge powertrain, a design that flows in and out, an experience with touch capacitor air climate system, the touch screen lcd for nav and radio, gesture controls and 35-40 mpg on the highway
thats where my struggle lyes buying a 15 cpo gs350. the time has come to possibly go over to the darker side, ill miss the reliability but life is a gamble and like clint eastwood said, tomorrow is promised to no one, thats how bmw is designing vehicles not our beloved lexus
I had a 98 LS400, it was a great car but I'm not sure where Lexus "took some risks" and "provided customers with a technology advantage"
Old 12-28-16, 07:32 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

well if you look at the illuminated speedo and tach amazing tech for the time
the pioneer radio was fantastic stock and the green feel was nice to lettering
also the volume ***** etc touch points were fantastic well thought out,
all pointing to details sweated which is the premise of the thread where lexus is cutting corners
Old 12-28-16, 07:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

well if you look at the illuminated speedo and tach amazing tech for the time
the pioneer radio was fantastic stock and the green feel was nice to lettering
also the volume ***** etc touch points were fantastic well thought out,
all pointing to details sweated which is the premise of the thread where lexus is cutting corners
Yeah it was a really nice car. Cutting edge technology though? Not a word I would use to describe it. While it was an incredibly well built car, I remember that we notably stepped back in terms of technology from the Cadillac and Lincoln we had before it. They weren't nearly as well built but they had more features.

You have to remember it is the LS. The GS is a cheaper car, and it's built for a very different purpose. What is impressive about the GS isn't of value to you and that's fine but it doesn't mean that it isn't impressive in its own way.

The GS has its own share of well thought out details too. The solid metal machined volume and tuned ***** (the ***** in the LS400 were just plastic), the huge screen which at the time was about the biggest in the industry, if you get the luxury package beautiful linear grained wood, 18 way seats and really high quality leather. Rear audio and air controls in the armrest, rear sunshades on the doors which were unheard of in that segment when the GS came out. The AVS suspension which gives you a great everyday ride with the duality of a crisp handling sport sedan on demand.

The GS is not meant to be a poor mans LS the way the 5 Series is meant to be a poor mans 7 Series.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-28-16 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-28-16, 10:43 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

good points i agree with your perspective
Old 12-28-16, 11:24 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah it was a really nice car. Cutting edge technology though? Not a word I would use to describe it. While it was an incredibly well built car, I remember that we notably stepped back in terms of technology from the Cadillac and Lincoln we had before it. They weren't nearly as well built but they had more features.

You have to remember it is the LS. The GS is a cheaper car, and it's built for a very different purpose. What is impressive about the GS isn't of value to you and that's fine but it doesn't mean that it isn't impressive in its own way.

The GS has its own share of well thought out details too. The solid metal machined volume and tuned ***** (the ***** in the LS400 were just plastic), the huge screen which at the time was about the biggest in the industry, if you get the luxury package beautiful linear grained wood, 18 way seats and really high quality leather. Rear audio and air controls in the armrest, rear sunshades on the doors which were unheard of in that segment when the GS came out. The AVS suspension which gives you a great everyday ride with the duality of a crisp handling sport sedan on demand.

The GS is not meant to be a poor mans LS the way the 5 Series is meant to be a poor mans 7 Series.
I agree with you about the gs not being a poor man's ls, imo that would be the es.
Old 12-29-16, 01:00 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The grass is always greener on the other side. This for the guys bashing any car and thinking the other car owners are satisfied and doesn't look at other cars the same way. To clarify I don't own any of these cars but I test drove some and sat in them.

I think the GS has a better interior design (subjective), driving dynamics, reliability, resale value and it is faster. However the BMW has a better exterior design (Subjective), MPG and more comfortable ride.
Old 12-29-16, 01:17 PM
Nasrul3698
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AMNss
The grass is always greener on the other side. This for the guys bashing any car and thinking the other car owners are satisfied and doesn't look at other cars the same way. To clarify I don't own any of these cars but I test drove some and sat in them.

I think the GS has a better interior design (subjective), driving dynamics, reliability, resale value and it is faster. However the BMW has a better exterior design (Subjective), MPG and more comfortable ride.
Did you just say the BMW has a more comfortable ride????? :O
Old 12-29-16, 02:25 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

yes the 528 and 535 f10 have a more floaty lounge ride than the well planted, better handling gs
the gs seems to have a drop wider track as well... in handling the gs wins for a floaty highway ride with multi contour seats the bmw wins
Old 12-29-16, 02:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There are a lot of BMW fans out there that hate that about the 5 Series.
Old 12-29-16, 03:14 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

thus the new g30
Old 12-29-16, 03:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

thus the new g30
I don't know that it's going to be any different. The enthusiast is in the minority unfortunately

Quick Reply: test driven 2015 gs 350 vs bmw 528