GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hit a deer

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-17, 04:42 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Up here driver has to report collision with wildlife(moose, deer, bear...) to the authority. We don't waste road kills.
Often this kinda accident is very serious. (some times fatal for either of both)
Old 01-02-17, 06:37 PM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
Glad ur okay, this looks like a total to me from the looks of the pictures your guard rail is damaged also which is part of the frame. If your getting it fixed from the dealer they'll report on the Lexus drivers database as well as Carfax.
The mounting points that attaches the fender to the body are in fact bent, Is that what you're referring to as the guard rail? If you're taking about the crash beam, that was completely fine. Its hard to see from this angle but that part was not damaged...
That did cross my mind that this could be a total loss. I love this car but knowing that the car will probably never be the same is tough. I'm hoping that if it is considered a total loss, I can find another one .
To add more pain, my registration / title hasn't even arrived yet, I only had the car for a few months...

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
Old 01-02-17, 06:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

See if you can get it repaired by a Lexus Certified Collision Center. Hopefully there is one located near you.
Old 01-02-17, 07:06 PM
GS350fSpt
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see you're ok!

I hit a deer last year traveling 70+ mph and it went threw the windshield. I had liberty mutual as my insurance company and they settled the claim in 2 weeks. Paid the $500 deductible and they totaled a 8 month new car. Surprised me how smooth and quick the process was from start to finish. Luckily they haven't dropped me yet.
Old 01-02-17, 07:19 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Usually tow truck driver knows such things. When my boy(in high school) crashed Subaru WRX Sti, tow truck driver said it was total wreck just looking at. To me
it looked like it just needed a new driver side front door. When he pointed out the frame went out of alignment we realized he was right. They say they can fix a
problem like that using special jig and laser beam but we decline such repair to have peace of mind.
Old 01-02-17, 07:23 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by k0kong
The mounting points that attaches the fender to the body are in fact bent, Is that what you're referring to as the guard rail? If you're taking about the crash beam, that was completely fine. Its hard to see from this angle but that part was not damaged...
That did cross my mind that this could be a total loss. I love this car but knowing that the car will probably never be the same is tough. I'm hoping that if it is considered a total loss, I can find another one .
To add more pain, my registration / title hasn't even arrived yet, I only had the car for a few months...

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
I was referring to fender rail or apron which is part of the frame. Make sure that is not bent.
Attached Thumbnails Hit a deer-photo607.jpg  
Old 01-02-17, 08:11 PM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
I was referring to fender rail or apron which is part of the frame. Make sure that is not bent.
Part number 2 and 3 (arrow) are bent and the welds on part 3 are torn, including some of the mounting holes. The rest of the circled parts were items i believe were completely missing. Anything plastic is pretty much toast...

Old 01-03-17, 09:59 AM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad you're okay.

Maybe time for F Sport front end conversion??
Old 01-03-17, 10:23 AM
nerv81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you're ok. My wife had a similar accident with our 2010 Maxima. Insurance didn't total and the repairs ended up costing close to 12k (we only paid $500 deductible) but the car was def not the same. The hood and fender wouldn't line up correctly on one side and we had to constantly take the car back because rain was leaking into the engine bay. There was also an odd vibration going about 75mph but they couldn't do anything about it because they said they weren't allowed to drive the car above the posted speed limit. We ended up selling the car shortly after. Since police were called to the accident and a police report was written, it showed up on the carfax before we even got the car back from the body shop.
Old 01-03-17, 10:55 AM
k0kong
Pit Crew

GEICO just informed me that they will be taking a look tomorrow. I'm hoping everything goes well. The car is actually at a Lexus collision center so at least i'm glad its in the proper hands.
Old 01-03-17, 10:57 AM
jeffreyr
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks, OP. Here in northern NJ, we have a ton of deer, and every time I see a dead deer on the side of the road (which is quite frequent), I know that that there is an extremely damaged car somewhere to go along with that. I've had them run right in front of (or behind) my car. They do a number on a car. Hope it works out for you.
Old 01-04-17, 06:52 AM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Insurance estimate came out to about 11 grand. Lexus body shop is going to look at it further once they can get my hood open fully. If anyone is selling a mint condition f - sport bumper let me know!
Old 01-04-17, 01:53 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow... I'm glad you're safe after the accident.
Old 01-05-17, 02:24 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

I can guarantee you, that estimate is low. There are so many parts they don't even know they will need and putting it all back together will take a month.

Obviously it's not totaled, but that is a huge hit.
Old 01-05-17, 02:52 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

If I were OP, I'd push for write-off. Black color is most difficult to match, once such a damage is repaired there will be miscellaneous nagging minor issues here and there plus when time comes to sell it or trade it in......Insurance co. always will try to save money. Some how when my daughter's first car, Subaru Impreza got crunched(not her fault) on the rear quarter section, insurance company wrote it off. Amount of check she received was more than the market value of the car.

Quick Reply: Hit a deer