GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why are GS sales so low

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 02:03 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Whatever the problem I really enjoy driving mine and so does my wife. She is good with normal mode but I stay in S+. I'll be keeping mine for a while.
Old 01-11-17, 09:27 AM
13gs350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GS is chasing a segment of the market which includes the Mercedes E-Class, BMW 5-Series, Audi A6, Infiniti Q70 Series and Cadillac CTS. Currently, Mercedes, BMW and Audi have long dominated this segment so Lexus, Infiniti and Cadillac are on the outside looking in. Even the Cadillac CTS, which received a lot of positive press, is also struggling to hit targets.
Old 01-11-17, 10:17 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO the ES and IS could be a contributor to this. If people are looking for sporty driving the IS is better in that and cheaper, and if they are looking for comfy ride and large interior space they would go with the ES for much cheaper.
Old 01-11-17, 11:23 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by AMNss
IMO the ES and IS could be a contributor to this. If people are looking for sporty driving the IS is better in that and cheaper, and if they are looking for comfy ride and large interior space they would go with the ES for much cheaper.
But they both lack the refinement and quality of materials found in the GS. Not to mention, the packaging of features on the US-spec IS makes it difficult to get the car just right.
Old 01-11-17, 12:49 PM
vtp86
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus GS has always taken a backseat to the other models in terms of sales, it's nothing new. Main reason for this is pure and simple: demand. Not that many people are looking to spend 50k+ on a car that doesn't have a ton of interior room, mediocre performance (at lease compared to the German brands like another poster stated), and has a polarizing exterior. There are tons more people out there that would rather spend just a little less than 50k to get a fully loaded BMW 3 series or fully loaded IS350 or save a little bit more and go with a Tesla Model S, Porsche Panamera, or Maserati Ghibli than opt for the GS.

P.S. - when I said mediocre performance, I meant what "performance" meant to the mass media. The average person doesn't have a clue what is considered excellent handling, but can read the statistics on a piece of paper that the car accelerates from 0-60 mph in 4 seconds. They most likely based the GS on their looks and stats on a piece of paper rather than actually have test drove it.
Old 01-11-17, 01:05 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Most all vehicle brands have models that are produced that lack demand and are not expected to have high sales numbers like their most popular run-of-the-mill models. You have two factors that influence the sales of the Lexus GS 350 - (a) lack of demand for an (b) uncommon model. It's not anything that should not be expected!

~~~~~~~~~~~

'Demand' is an economic principle that describes a consumer's desire and willingness to pay a price for a specific good or service. Holding all other factors constant, an increase in the price of a good or service will decrease demand, and vice versa.

'Run-of-the-mill': common, lacking unusual or special aspects; ordinary, average, middle-of-the-road, commonplace, humdrum, mundane, standard, nondescript, characterless, conventional, unremarkable, unexceptional, uninteresting, dull, boring, routine, bland, lackluster, garden-variety, nothing to write home about, nothing special, a dime a dozen.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-11-17 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 02:09 PM
jdigga99
Driver

Originally Posted by charley95
That is one nice thing about the GS, you don't see them everywhere. I can go a good month and not ever see one.
I see them everywhere here in Dallas
Old 01-11-17, 02:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Originally Posted by jdigga99
I see them everywhere here in Dallas
Agree - I do too, relatively speaking...but nothing like the ES or Toyota's Camry.
Old 01-12-17, 07:10 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
But they both lack the refinement and quality of materials found in the GS. Not to mention, the packaging of features on the US-spec IS makes it difficult to get the car just right.
I agree the GS materials are much better, but money is also a big factor since you could get a fully loaded ES or IS for les than a standard GS350, except if there are good sales where the GS gets a decent price drop.
Old 01-12-17, 03:20 PM
tknx
Intermediate

I'd say the interior isn't up to par with the new MB or Volvo interiors style wise. Quality wise, sure. But too cluttery - the new MB and Volvo interiors are just much nicer looking.

And frankly, it is underpowered compared to the competition. People won't compare apples to apples. So you get the GS-F getting compared to the M5 even though it is priced and competing against the M-sport mid-range. And the top of the model range has a huge halo effect on how the line is perceived. If the GS-F was a 700bhp monster that cost 500K but could do the 'ring in 7s or something ridiculous like that, the whole line would benefit.

Personally I love my '13 except for a couple of small things.