GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Movement All Over the Lane

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-17, 08:20 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

What tires are you running? I've driven a range of vehicles as well, one of them a prior generation BMW 325Ci. I ran a few different tires on it and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS stood out considerably that they were very sensitive to subtle steering input, requiring you to drive the car constantly. Similarly it was less straight on uneven roads with those tires. I appreciated the lightning fast steering response they gave, but it was more effort to drive.
Old 01-08-17, 08:25 PM
srqGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new set of Michelin Pilot MXM4's on the car now, I ran the Pilot Super Sports on my BMW's but part of my move to GS was to stop buying tires twice a year.

I may go take some test drives and see if it is me, the car, or both. Really appreciate everyone's feedback.
Old 01-08-17, 09:39 PM
maddave
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had two gs 350's and both did the same thing.. both lowered tho so i've always thought it was just cause of that. Clearly its not. I too was thinking tires but i have only 10k on my 16' gs... Whomever has this can attest its annoying as heck, its like your fighting to keep the car in a straight line. It has the feeling of when your lug nuts are loose. I'm hoping we can find a solution
Old 01-09-17, 08:04 AM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

How much tire pressure are you guys running? Try matching the front and rears to see what happens. I had older RWD cars that wanted to sway or strafe on imperfect roads at high speeds but after setting the tires psi, the problem resolved itself. The rears were overinflated at the time.
Old 01-09-17, 08:08 AM
srqGS350
Driver School Candidate

When I go into the office I have a nice open stretch of highway and bridges that allow me to play a bit. This morning going over the bridge there was a high wind advisory which I normally think nothing of and just drive. It was my first time in the GS when there was this much wind and it blew me around quite a bit, I found myself correcting constantly and when I got on it a bit the effect was even greater. I truly did not feel in full control and confident as I usually do at speed.

I run 34psi on all four corners and checked this last week as a potential cause, no dice.
Old 01-09-17, 08:11 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

I assume the car has received a proper alignment when you put on the new tires?
Old 01-09-17, 08:13 AM
srqGS350
Driver School Candidate

Dealership aligned the car and did the tire installation. Thought maybe paying dealer prices would solve it.

That's why I was hoping there may be a solution such as a more aggressive alignment number.
Old 01-09-17, 08:31 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by srqGS350
Dealership aligned the car and did the tire installation. Thought maybe paying dealer prices would solve it.

That's why I was hoping there may be a solution such as a more aggressive alignment number.
I doubt seriously Lexus would deviate from typical 'within spec' alignment, which should produce perfect driving control with reputable tires.
Old 01-09-17, 08:34 AM
srqGS350
Driver School Candidate

It isn't necessary that Lexus provide the work, just that there is some sort of solution to what seems to be a common complaint.

This is my first Lexus but I am not new to cars (performance or luxury). I drive fast and feeling like I am not in complete control is not a positive experience.
Old 01-09-17, 08:44 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by srqGS350
It isn't necessary that Lexus provide the work, just that there is some sort of solution to what seems to be a common complaint.

This is my first Lexus but I am not new to cars (performance or luxury). I drive fast and feeling like I am not in complete control is not a positive experience.
I cannot imagine what the problem may be. Like you, I have had numerous performance and luxury cars, and spent some time in triple-digit speeds. I have no issues with how my GS 350 RWD handles at any speed.
Old 01-09-17, 02:27 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

No problem with my 2WD '16 Lux package. It is straight as an arrow. It does not drift at all. Sounds like a few more trips to the dealer may be in order for your car. Hopefully there are no major suspension issues on your car.
Old 01-09-17, 06:34 PM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is not normal on the GS, including AWD. I have an AWD and never experience this. I did put new P7 tires on mine within 2 weeks because my car (bought used) had cheap tires on there. A world of difference in noise, but I don't remember the cheap tires causing wandering either. I would look into suspension issues if alignment doesn't help. Do not let people convince you this is normal. I've drove lots of GS's prior to buying mine (in the car business) and never noticed this.
Old 01-09-17, 07:24 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Had an issue similar to this on an MDX, turned out it had a defective steering column. Maybe it's worth a thought that something's up in the steering system as well?

What width wheels/tires are you running? Wider tires will hunt & dart more.

Since our cars have speed-sensing steering and some have VGRS -- something possibly wonky there?
Old 01-09-17, 07:56 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I just happened to recall a 2013 GS 350 I saw a couple years ago, which may help you.

I happened to see a 2013 GS 350 'Lemon Law' titled car that was returned back to Lexus (Lexus bought the car back from the original owner/lessee under the Lemon Law) in which they replaced the entire steering rack. By the way, according to the Carfax report this car sat for 4-5 months after it was bought back by Lexus before a Lexus dealership replaced the entire steering rack. Anyway, the original owner/lessee complained multiple times about the car's steering...and the wording I saw sounded much like how you explained your car's steering. Anyway, a local used car dealer (non-Lexus) bought the car at auction and eventually sold the Lemon Law titled car.

I don't know how you would go about finding out if this steering issue is what you may be dealing with, but I'm guessing there is a database somewhere of all the Lemon Law cars that Lexus has bought back - I just doubt you could gain access to that information.

Reference ► https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8918236
Old 01-09-17, 10:06 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My '13 GS F Sport with rear wheel steering did this all the time. Pretty sure it was the alignment's fault, but it could be tires too. By the end of my lease, the front tires were showing threads on the inside edges. It used to wander badly over uneven, wavy asphalt, and you'd have to fight it to stay straight. Until I got my new car I just thought that's how it was. Looking back, I'm pretty sure that car was out of alignment for 3 years over 2 sets of tires.

New car is arrow straight, it doesn't care what the road is shaped like, but it's not exactly apples to oranges either.

Quick Reply: Movement All Over the Lane