GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

does value for gs go down?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 09:16 AM
Ehsun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default does value for gs go down?

i heard from some people that lexus GS's value goes down really fast is this true? and why is this
Old 01-09-17, 09:49 AM
homeboyv
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, this is true. Pretty typical of a luxury car though.
Old 01-09-17, 10:01 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Value tanks on the GS faster then other Lexus models I've noticed. It has a lot to do with the crazy deals dealers offer on the GS especially during the model year end. So it doesn't help GS owners like me who want to trade in. Plus the demand for the GS isn't as great so there's a lot of inventory causing prices to go down.
The following users liked this post:
RichardB23 (10-14-19)
Old 01-09-17, 10:15 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

The GS does suffer from quicker than anticipated depreciation. I mean, most folks aren't buying these cars hoping to sell it after 3yrs for a maximum return..but its crazy to think you paid a certain amount and after 3yrs the car is worth half the price. Market segment competition, overall used demand and options all factor into the depreciation.

In 2014: My dad paid $34k out the door for his CPO '11 GS350 AWD w/Mark Levinson & Nav w/35k miles. He currently has 40k miles, hardly drives and the car is worth about 10-15k less today.

In 2015: I paid $34k out the door for my CPO '13 GS350 AWD (no levinson, non-f sport, non-lux) with 40k miles. It currently has 49k miles and is probably worth about $5-$8k less today.
RichardB23 (10-14-19)
Old 01-09-17, 03:49 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

GS and others in its class, 5 series BMW included have a fairly narrow
market both new and used. Too big to be a sports car, too small to be
a Luxury Cruiser, too heavy to be really fast, too costly to be a toy, it
really has to find the right fit to work. We that like them tend to be a
bit individualistic and thus even harder to find the second home when
the lack of a single feature makes it saleproof. Second choice of color?
Yeah, any color will do as long as it's Black!
Old 01-10-17, 01:02 PM
DJP333
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It really depends if you can use the change in value and the Lexus brand to your advantage.

This past November, I traded out of a 2008 IS350 with 170,000 miles and purchased a pre-owned 2015 GS350 F Sport with 14,500 miles. Because the IS was such an awesomely reliable car, and I maintained it well, I was able to get $8200 for it and use that towards my 2015 GS, which I got for $38k. So, I took advantage of the first 2 years of depreciation that usually come with a pricey, new luxury car, but then I utilized the fact that Lexus cars retain their value over the years due to reliability. I plan on keeping this GS for quite some time, one of the main reasons I wanted a Lexus, my IS was 100% reliable until I sold it, and I hope the 2015 GS is the same.
Old 01-10-17, 02:34 PM
dano
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Brilliant analysis of the GS and its owners. I would take it a step further and say that GS owners, although individualistic, are also pragmatic car enthusiasts. They love not following the crowd but truly enjoy the fact that they can own a "reliable" sports sedan. Some on this forum lament various perceived deficiencies in the GS when compared to the German marques (and to a lesser extent the Cadillac CTS/ATS) but I will take the impeccable build quality, stellar reliability and resultant low cost of ownership any day.
The GS is IMO a perfect blend of what we have come to expect from Lexus along with a good amount of what many never think of when they think of Lexus. With all that being said, it is probably the least appreciated Lexus, especially among the less discerning customers. Thus the rapid depreciation the first 3 years. The secret is to buy a CPO at a 30% to 40% discount. You are essentially buying a world class sports sedan for the price of a loaded Camry or Accord. And yes, it should be black!

Last edited by dano; 01-10-17 at 05:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dano:
samiventi (01-12-17), signdetres (10-06-19)
Old 01-13-17, 01:25 AM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

13-15 year models caused the prices to go down tremendously.
Old 01-13-17, 04:40 AM
krsin9753
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, most or all vehicles depreciate a great deal during the first to third year. I believe the 16 and 17 will probably hold their value better with standard navigation, 13 inch screen and other additives that will remain attractive to customers.
Old 01-13-17, 05:11 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Originally Posted by dano
Brilliant analysis of the GS and its owners. I would take it a step further and say that GS owners, although individualistic, are also pragmatic car enthusiasts. They love not following the crowd but truly enjoy the fact that they can own a "reliable" sports sedan. Some on this forum lament various perceived deficiencies in the GS when compared to the German marques (and to a lesser extent the Cadillac CTS/ATS) but I will take the impeccable build quality, stellar reliability and resultant low cost of ownership any day.
The GS is IMO a perfect blend of what we have come to expect from Lexus along with a good amount of what many never think of when they think of Lexus. With all that being said, it is probably the least appreciated Lexus, especially among the less discerning customers. Thus the rapid depreciation the first 3 years. The secret is to buy a CPO at a 30% to 40% discount. You are essentially buying a world class sports sedan for the price of a loaded Camry or Accord. And yes, it should be black!
I think those are both good comments. My 2010 GS had very good resale at two years old. Our 2014 was not as good, but was not horrible either. They key to buying one now is to get the right deal, and/or keep the car five years or more. Sadly I cannot do that. For me, three years is a long time to keep a car.
Old 01-13-17, 11:55 AM
dwayne4lex
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dano
I agree with these comments, because when I was in the market (last January 2015) as my lease was ending I seriously considered the 2013 Mercedes Benz S550, pre-owned V8 Genesis and the K900. What drew my back to the Lexus GS350 was reliability and maintenance costs. Plus, I got a great deal on a left over 2015 GS350 F Sport white/Flaxen. I know I won't beat most German brands in speed and handling, but I got peace of mind that when I get in my car it will get me where I need to go dependably.
GS350Boi (10-06-19)
Old 10-06-19, 06:53 PM
GS350Boi
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dwayne4lex
I agree with these comments, because when I was in the market (last January 2015) as my lease was ending I seriously considered the 2013 Mercedes Benz S550, pre-owned V8 Genesis and the K900. What drew my back to the Lexus GS350 was reliability and maintenance costs. Plus, I got a great deal on a left over 2015 GS350 F Sport white/Flaxen. I know I won't beat most German brands in speed and handling, but I got peace of mind that when I get in my car it will get me where I need to go dependably.
I have owned many Caddies and Mercedes. I can honestly say that my Cadillacs have been dead reliable. My Mercedes was the most beautiful, wonderful, amazing piece of booboo I have ever owned. The repair costs will make your wife leave you. NEVER AGAIN. My GS is easily the best built, highest quality car I have ever owned. It’s just in a different class than the others. It has super tight panel fits and just higher quality materials throughout. It’s sporty enough and has the quality and reliability nobody else has.

I really want a Merc or BMW. I really wanna like them. But I refuse to be pimped financially. Their horrid reliability is just plain absurd.
Old 10-12-19, 11:25 PM
Claybo77
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hey Measured:

WAS wondering about Canadian cities... RUST-wise. Thanks much!!!
wrong forum...

Last edited by Claybo77; 10-12-19 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Wrong forum... Oops...