GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-20, 03:21 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by kietlander
That do you recommend for lines in the leather?
Vacuum, stiff paint brush or detail brush and that damp MF towel with the cleaner on it. Wipe after with a clean towel, let dry, then 303.

There's a thread in the Detailing section... All About Lexus Leather (or something like that)... go check it out, you'll get some good pointers.
Old 03-16-20, 01:42 AM
mkmckinley
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
So this Lux you found was an RWD than? I looked for a Lux in pretty much your exact config for a few months but wanted AWD. If this was AWD I was starting to think I should have waited, like folks told me to. I was debating but all the Lux I kept finding were RWD with the exception of one that had a brown interior which was one of the colors I wouldn't do. I was under a little bit under a time crunch...
It is a RWD. I don't remember ever seeing an AWD Lux in my search but I was specifically searching for RWD, I may have glossed over. I must have looked through a few hundred GS 350s for sale on just about every site I could find. Autotrader, Cargurus, cars.com were the main ones. The best method I found was to filter down to the year, mileage, and price I wanted (basically finding low price-for-mileage cars) and then look at the pictures to find Lux wheels. From there I would check drivers.lexus.com to see if there were any weird problems, major repairs etc. and then I would contact the dealer to get a carfax as another check. I found about seven cars nationally that met my criteria and one just happened to be a couple hours away in Charleston. Bonus is it was CPO and the exact color combo I wanted.

Personally I think AWD is overrated but it is nice to have in the snow. My last three cars were a Mustang, an S2000, an a WRX. I had the first two RWD cars in WA State and they did ok in the snow. The S2000 had a LSD and was actually what I would consider good in the snow with proper tires. I always had chains in the trunk but didn't often need to use them. I bought the WRX in NC and it was a beast with now tires but that was only and issue a few days out of the year. A big part of the equation is knowing how to drive in the snow. I see people in NC every year with their AWD crossovers off in the ditch.

Now that I have a RWD car again I will most likely buy chains for the off chance in NC that I really need them. I'm just a little worried about the chains messing up the wheels. I was also considering getting another set of wheels, probably 17", and mounting 4 season tires for winter months, then using the chains with those if I need to. Tires for the 17" wheels would have a little more sidewall that's better in snow and less likely to get dinged up from chains if I had to use them.
Old 03-16-20, 12:26 PM
NickDangr
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Removed the air intake noise maker and installed the resonator. That was a 5-minute job. It's right on top! A little alcohol makes the new part slip right on.

The funny thing is that I removed the muffler from Mrs Danger's longroof station wagon.

Since I was under the hood, I decided to look at the air filter. It took me a moment to figure out how to loosen those panel clips. Then when I took the panel off, it catapulted the clip into the engine bay. It's somewhere on the bottom panel. Sigh. I ordered a bag of clips from Clips and Fasteners.

The DashMat came in, and I put that on the dash. I live in Albuquerque, and the sun breaks down dashboards. Worse, the garage is full so it's going to be parked in the sun all day.

I ordered a removable divider for the cup holder from eBay. The original owner must have kept it. I got the part for the 2011 Camry. Is there really a difference?
Old 03-16-20, 06:15 PM
LGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default I applied a protective paint barrier.

Applied Armor Shield IV ceramic coating to the clear coat. It looks as shinny as a pair of Paten leather tap dancing shoes.
Old 03-17-20, 10:41 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

I left it in the garage so it can practice social distancing.
Old 03-17-20, 10:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
I left it in the garage so it can practice social distancing.
I did the same, but it keeps hanging out with my Highlander...can't seem to keep them apart.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (03-17-20)
Old 03-17-20, 11:25 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

y'all should get a battery tender if this "social distancing" get extended to "mandatory quarantine". This is the battery tender I used. Mine is on the GS most of the time anyways since I don't drive it all that often. I like this one since it comes with two extension cables. One is permanently on the GS and other one is on my 4Runner. I alternate charging them, batteries always crank strong.

https://www.amazon.com/Mroinge-Automotive-Maintainer-Automatic-Motorcycle/dp/B010NRKERI/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=BATTERY+TENDER&qid=1584469325&sr=8-7 https://www.amazon.com/Mroinge-Automotive-Maintainer-Automatic-Motorcycle/dp/B010NRKERI/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=BATTERY+TENDER&qid=1584469325&sr=8-7
Old 03-17-20, 11:34 AM
NickDangr
Pit Crew

Washed my keyfob. I realized what I had done when the washing machine got to the "rinse" cycle.
Old 03-17-20, 11:47 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by NickDangr
Washed my keyfob. I realized what I had done when the washing machine got to the "rinse" cycle.
Well at least it's disinfected
Does it still work? I've been wiping down all my keys and key fobs. Those things get pass around to valets without us even realizing how nasty dirty they are.
Old 03-17-20, 11:53 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Those things get pass around to valets without us even realizing how nasty dirty they are.
Nasty, filthy valetseses.
The following 2 users liked this post by jonathancl:
jdpdata (03-17-20), NickMayer (03-20-20)
Old 03-17-20, 11:54 AM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Does it still work? I've been wiping down all my keys and key fobs. Those things get pass around to valets without us even realizing how nasty dirty they are.
Yea lol i wiped all my keys down with lysol.. just in case.
jdpdata (03-17-20)
Old 03-17-20, 11:58 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

LOL, didn't mean valets are dirty people, no offense to you valets out there
I meant our keys get handle by many people including household members with dirty hands and we never even think about cleaning them. Cell phones too.
Old 03-17-20, 12:09 PM
NickDangr
Pit Crew

I threw it into a ziplock with some desiccant. I'll test it in a couple of days.

The leather cover resisted leather conditioner. It should be fine.

jdpdata (03-17-20)
Old 03-17-20, 12:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Besides myself, no one but my wife touches my fob.
Old 03-19-20, 04:40 PM
NickDangr
Pit Crew

I left the fob in the bag for two days, and it works perfectly.
jdpdata (03-19-20)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?