GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-20, 11:18 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 499 Likes on 267 Posts

Just ordered the parts for my mod.....supposedly they're going to take about two months to arrive, I've heard it's usually quicker......can't wait!!!!
Old 09-30-20, 12:30 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Default Not for the squeamish

So technically not today.....wanted to give the rinse water a little time to settle....

Sunday I rented the Karcher Extractor Detailer from Home Depot - actually got it for to do a little cleaning on something else but the trunk mat had a bit a bit of a small smudge on the Lexus stitching so I figured I'd give it a bit of a quick cleaning and while I was at it hit the drivers mat as well.

Over all the extractor worked pretty well... it was $17/4 hours or $24/day. With everything I did I think you could easily get all the carpets/mats in the GS cleaned and rinsed in 4 hours - definitely a day.

So....first....here's how they turned out....Sorry..I forgot to get a before photo but the trunk mat looked pretty much the same - but like I said there was a smudge on the stitching which I think is pretty much gone...

As I said...the trunk looked good except for the smudge. I really thought is was nice and clean and that they had done a great job as a CPO. If you thought your CPO was nice and clean, think again.....

So here was my process:
1) Vacuumed the trunk mat inside with our good indoor vacuum cleaner.
2) Spot treated the area with the stitching with Woolite/Oxy carpet cleaning spray
3) Mixed a solution of rug cleaner/hot water per the instructions for the Extractor and went over the entire trunk mat in multiple directions, top to bottom, side to side, etc.. - let it sit while I used the rest of the cleaning solution on other things
4) Filled the extractor with plain hot water with nothing in it and went over the mats again in multiple directions....let it sit while I did a "rinse" extraction on the other things I was cleaning.
5) Came back and did a second rinse with plain hot water, again went over the entire trunk mat in multiple directions.

Here are photos of what came out of JUST the trunk mat and JUST the final rinse - this has nothing from the first cleaning with soap or the first rinse - JUST the final rinse of JUST the trunk mat....not the drivers, mat, nothing else.
Keep in mind - the only thing I put in the trunk every day is my messenger bag/computer bag and a plastic file tote. Once in a while a box or two from Amazon - but nothing dirty.

I was shocked to say the least.... maybe a little grossed out but more amazed that it looked so clean but really wasn't... Lesson here....if you think the inside of your CPO is clean....think again......

First photo is basically right after I poured the water into the bowl. Second photo is after the dirt settled out for a few hours. Third is what settled out after just over 2 days.

Needless to say I'll be renting it again to go over the entire interior.....
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (09-30-20)
Old 09-30-20, 01:23 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
So technically not today.....wanted to give the rinse water a little time to settle....

Sunday I rented the Karcher Extractor Detailer from Home Depot - actually got it for to do a little cleaning on something else but the trunk mat had a bit a bit of a small smudge on the Lexus stitching so I figured I'd give it a bit of a quick cleaning and while I was at it hit the drivers mat as well.

Over all the extractor worked pretty well... it was $17/4 hours or $24/day. With everything I did I think you could easily get all the carpets/mats in the GS cleaned and rinsed in 4 hours - definitely a day.

So....first....here's how they turned out....Sorry..I forgot to get a before photo but the trunk mat looked pretty much the same - but like I said there was a smudge on the stitching which I think is pretty much gone...

As I said...the trunk looked good except for the smudge. I really thought is was nice and clean and that they had done a great job as a CPO. If you thought your CPO was nice and clean, think again.....

So here was my process:
1) Vacuumed the trunk mat inside with our good indoor vacuum cleaner.
2) Spot treated the area with the stitching with Woolite/Oxy carpet cleaning spray
3) Mixed a solution of rug cleaner/hot water per the instructions for the Extractor and went over the entire trunk mat in multiple directions, top to bottom, side to side, etc.. - let it sit while I used the rest of the cleaning solution on other things
4) Filled the extractor with plain hot water with nothing in it and went over the mats again in multiple directions....let it sit while I did a "rinse" extraction on the other things I was cleaning.
5) Came back and did a second rinse with plain hot water, again went over the entire trunk mat in multiple directions.

Here are photos of what came out of JUST the trunk mat and JUST the final rinse - this has nothing from the first cleaning with soap or the first rinse - JUST the final rinse of JUST the trunk mat....not the drivers, mat, nothing else.
Keep in mind - the only thing I put in the trunk every day is my messenger bag/computer bag and a plastic file tote. Once in a while a box or two from Amazon - but nothing dirty.

I was shocked to say the least.... maybe a little grossed out but more amazed that it looked so clean but really wasn't... Lesson here....if you think the inside of your CPO is clean....think again......

First photo is basically right after I poured the water into the bowl. Second photo is after the dirt settled out for a few hours. Third is what settled out after just over 2 days.

Needless to say I'll be renting it again to go over the entire interior.....
Nice job, I did the same with mine with similar results. CPO is just about the warranty, it's not a white-glove inspection and restoration that they portray at the dealership or in their literature. Mine had some kind of dried blue raspberry slushie drink concoction all over the passenger door panel storage area so I know that there was nothing more than a quick interior detail and not even a cleaning involved.
thisguy_06 (09-30-20)
Old 09-30-20, 07:39 AM
Final4GS
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Ematic Jetstream Android TV to Aux.

Was originally thinking of putting in a Nvidia Shield TV but didn't need the gaming and processing power of such a device.

Works fairly well, can play movies and music of a micro sd and USB and hotspot to my phone if i need any apps requiring internet connection (i.e. youtube).

Also, it has chromecast built in so I can cast/screen mirror my phone to it.

Old 09-30-20, 09:55 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by BMGS
Nice job, I did the same with mine with similar results. CPO is just about the warranty, it's not a white-glove inspection and restoration that they portray at the dealership or in their literature. Mine had some kind of dried blue raspberry slushie drink concoction all over the passenger door panel storage area so I know that there was nothing more than a quick interior detail and not even a cleaning involved.
I think I was just a little surprised because the interior of the car looked like it had hardly been used. Mine I think I figured out had a small sticky spill near the nav controls - the previous screen/return button still stick after a warm day. Need to decide/figure out if I can clean that easily or how hard it is to take apart.
Old 09-30-20, 10:31 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

I think I was just a little surprised because the interior of the car looked like it had hardly been used. Mine I think I figured out had a small sticky spill near the nav controls - the previous screen/return button still stick after a warm day. Need to decide/figure out if I can clean that easily or how hard it is to take apart.
Maybe some electronics grade alcohol can help. It's not too hard to pop off that entire panel to see if you can access it better.
Old 09-30-20, 10:35 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

Our 2016 GS had coffee w/ sugar spill on the nav mouse (so it was moving very slow) and the dealer charged me $260 or so to clean out. It took 2 dealer trips. I still remember where they pry open the unit (left screw pry markings on the side).
Old 09-30-20, 11:21 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Just ordered the parts for my mod.....supposedly they're going to take about two months to arrive, I've heard it's usually quicker......can't wait!!!!
OMG! They weren't supposed to be in until November but it looks like the parts are here!!!! Not sure I can wait to work on this this weekend...might have to take a day off work...cough cough..
Old 09-30-20, 11:27 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by websurfer
Our 2016 GS had coffee w/ sugar spill on the nav mouse (so it was moving very slow) and the dealer charged me $260 or so to clean out. It took 2 dealer trips. I still remember where they pry open the unit (left screw pry markings on the side).
That's the exact reason why I'm not sure I'd have the dealer do it and while i know I'd try to be careful and I have a set of nylon interior pry tools I can just see something getting scratched or broken. I also tend to go with the idea that nothing plastic is exactly the same after you pop it apart and put it back together. little squeaks and rattles......

Maybe some electronics grade alcohol can help. It's not too hard to pop off that entire panel to see if you can access it better.
I was thinking of something along those lines, maybe even just a very slightly damp thin rag I can work around the edges of button carefully The alcohol would be good from an evaporation standpoint.
Old 10-01-20, 01:23 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Sunday I drove it from Philly to Norfolk VA and back, ten hours in the car, to see a Catalina 34 sailboat.

I've never spent that much of a day in this car.
It was wonderful.
Old 10-01-20, 05:42 PM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Found out how much to fix my bumper...$1500!
Straight up driveway tragedy. Actually it’s the bumper and trunk panel.

On another note, I got some oxidation off my headlights. Clear like new.

Old 10-02-20, 02:31 PM
MGs350
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally got alignment in from the dealership yesterday after replacing tires. Of course I had to go back today because the tire pressure was all off!
Old 10-03-20, 11:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Window tint, clear bra, and a wash.

The following 5 users liked this post by JDR76:
chinee (10-04-20), chjljr1 (10-03-20), FSportOnly (10-05-20), jdpdata (10-03-20), websurfer (10-03-20)
Old 10-03-20, 11:15 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,151 Likes on 849 Posts

@JDR76 looks good! What tint % and brand did you go with?
JDR76 (10-04-20)
Old 10-04-20, 09:47 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 301 Likes on 187 Posts

As an owner of Mica Grey, I really do like the lighter color cars.
I thought about deleting the chrome on mine. I find that on darker cars the gray high lights in the front and rear are negated and the bits of chrome help the design detail come forward. otherwise.
I’ll tint my windows and be done with it.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?