GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-21, 04:50 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by marjenmill
My GS got a new Blackvue 4k dashcam and an updated garage floor to sit on!
Beautiful garage! 3 car garage makes me jealous.

Just curious, what are the light blue and dark blue tapes on the ground used for? Light blue to perhaps to tell you where the garage door rests/comes down at?

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 01-01-21, 05:10 PM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 161 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes, it is a 3 car garage. The tape was painter's tape used to block the entrances during the day while the doors were open (it wasn't on the floor like the picture makes it seem). It took 2 days to apply (day 1 diamond bit sander to smooth it, poly layer 1 with chips, day 2 scrape the loose chips off and apply clear poly), then it took 6 days to cure before cars came back in the garage. Light stuff, like shelves, came in after 2 days.
Old 01-02-21, 05:33 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

I have the same coating on mine that was applied in 2011 and it's held up great. It's a much better product than the kits you get from the home improvement stores.
Old 01-02-21, 03:51 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 509 Likes on 272 Posts

Picked up 4 boxes that were roughly 20.5 x 20.5 x 11.5 that weighed about 36 pounds each (keep in mind there's some packaging in there).

Wonder what they could be.... Can't wait to open them up.

Old 01-02-21, 04:54 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

My GS got a new Blackvue 4k dashcam and an updated garage floor to sit on!
Mind sharing what product it was that you used? Sorry if I missed the mention of it.
Old 01-02-21, 06:50 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DuB

Wife was driving my car yesterday and hit a can of white paint on the freeway on the front right side, splattered a bit down the side of the car. Spent a few hours cleaning that crap up today with a power washer and fine cut cleaner. First time using the 0 degree nozzle on the car's paint haha. I kept thinking I was done, then I'd find more white spots on the left side of the car here and there. It's still all over the tire and the inside of the front wheel well but close enough. 2020 had to slide one more f-up in before the new year.
Bummer. At least you got the lion share off. Paint splashed on the right front fender and passenger door of my car. Must have driven through a paint puddle I was relieved when what I thought was scratches turned out to be paint. I was able to remove it by gently scraping it off using my fingernail without harming the paint.
Old 01-03-21, 04:56 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
Mind sharing what product it was that you used? Sorry if I missed the mention of it.
It's not a product you can buy at a store. It was applied by a company called Granite Garage Floors in the Atlanta area, which has offices in many other cities too.

http://granitegaragefloors.com/

I had the Home Depot stuff on my painted garage floor originally, but tire heat and such wore parts of it off in a couple of years. This stuff is guaranteed against that wear/tear.

I had to rent a Pod to store my shelves, cabinets, tool box and such, but things hung on the walls could stay.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (01-03-21)
Old 01-03-21, 04:20 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

It's not a product you can buy at a store. It was applied by a company called Granite Garage Floors in the Atlanta area, which has offices in many other cities too.

http://granitegaragefloors.com/

I had the Home Depot stuff on my painted garage floor originally, but tire heat and such wore parts of it off in a couple of years. This stuff is guaranteed against that wear/tear.

I had to rent a Pod to store my shelves, cabinets, tool box and such, but things hung on the walls could stay.
Darn....looks like their closest location is Denver. At least I have some information about what it took so I can get a feel for what others here might be offering.

Old 01-03-21, 04:42 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Picked up 4 boxes that were roughly 20.5 x 20.5 x 11.5 that weighed about 36 pounds each (keep in mind there's some packaging in there).

Wonder what they could be.... Can't wait to open them up.
Got the boxes opened up and checked out this afternoon.......Yayyy!

While I really wanted a Lux, I narrowed it down to a few things I liked about the Lux over the F Sport - the wheels, the front seats (primarily the fact the front passenger seat had all the additional settings), the gauge cluster, and the rear seat controls (and possibly the rear seats being heated). The rear seat controls, etc... I ultimately decided I could do without, they'd rarely get used, and it was more about "having them" than anything else. The F Sport gauge cluster has grown on me and when I recently saw the Lux cluster I actually decided I think I like the F Sport cluster more now - it just had to get used to it I guess. That left the wheels and the seats.

When I was looking for and shortly after purchasing my F Sport I posted on here trying to confirm the part number for the Lux Wheels just to get a feel for what it would cost me to change them out. Luckily - a fellow CL member PMed me saying he had a set of Lux wheels he was willing to sell. With life and everything else going on (and I wasn't in a hurry) we finally managed to get that finalized and these came this week.....a nice extra Christmas present

Now I just have to get up the courage to put them on the car . They're in near perfect shape and I've already managed to get a little curb rash on one of the F Sport wheels from a few different incidents....
The following 3 users liked this post by LexusGSboy:
Im2bz2p345 (01-03-21), signdetres (01-04-21), websurfer (01-06-21)
Old 01-03-21, 04:57 PM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Darn....looks like their closest location is Denver. At least I have some information about what it took so I can get a feel for what others here might be offering.
About $5.50 a sq ft, figure it out from there, maybe cheaper if your floor does not require paint removal
Old 01-06-21, 12:13 PM
Gr8
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Well, ever since I saw Pseudos postings from August replacing his ML speakers, I was itching to replace my Non-ML speakers and finally I got them replaced over the weekend. Went with Infinity Reference series for the door and the dash speakers. I kept the door speakers 6.5" to make them look and sound similar while went with 3.5" for the dash and center because the 4" were a bit wider and deeler to fit comfortably in the space.

​​​​​​For now, I am keeping the stock rear tweeters and the stock sub. Did try a couple of subs to replace the stock and was surprised to notice that the stock Non-ML sub was more bassy than the two I tried. The two subs I tried were JBL Stage 810 and Polk 842 DVC. The JBL had no bass whatsoever, while the Polk had noticeable higher bass than JBL but still not as prominent as the Stock. I think JBL lacked the punch because it was 4 ohms whereas the Non ML amp only supports 2.5 ohms, which the Stock Sub is. I will try the Pioneer TS-A2000LD2 next and see if that works better, if it does, the Stock one will be going out too.

Attached are some pics of the speakers. My total cost was under 300 dollars for the 4 set of speakers and anything needed for installation and it was totally worth it. The audio is much cleaner and crisp. From day 1 I was a bit under whelmed from the speakers and since I came from Acura's ELS system, I noticed the lack of clarity from day 1 as well, but I didnt want to spend 2000 bucks more for ML system, and also I thought I will get used to the lower sound quality. I obviously didnt.

The door speakers are Infinity REF 6532ex and the dash speakers are REF 3032cfx.

Last edited by Gr8; 01-06-21 at 12:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gr8:
christ0efu (01-06-21), websurfer (01-06-21)
Old 01-06-21, 12:19 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr8
Well, ever since I saw Pseudos postings from August replacing his ML speakers, I was itching to replace my Non-ML speakers and finally I got them replaced over the weekend. Went with Infinity Reference series for the door and the dash speakers. I kept the door speakers 6.5" to make them look and sound similar while went with 3.5" for the dash and center because the 4" were a bit wider and deeler to fit comfortably in the space.

​​​​​​For now, I am keeping the stock rear tweeters and the stock sub. Did try a couple of subs to replace the stock and was surprised to notice that the stock Non-ML sub was more bassy than the two I tried. The two subs I tried were JBL Stage 810 and Polk 842 DVC. The JBL had no bass whatsoever, while the Polk had noticeable higher bass than JBL but still not as prominent as the Stock. I think JBL lacked the punch because it was 4 ohms whereas the Non ML amp only supports 2.5 ohms, which the Stock Sub is. I will try the Pioneer TS-A2000LD2 next and see if that works better, if it does, the Stock one will be going out too.

Attached are some pics of the speakers. My total cost was under 300 dollars for the 4 set of speakers and anything needed for installation. The door speakers are Infinity REF 6532ex and the dash speakers are REF 3022cfx.

I believe you will need a sub that is made for open air\free air. Just pulling a sub off the shelf may or may not work since they are probably not designed to be used in an open space.
Old 01-06-21, 12:20 PM
christ0efu
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

How is the sound after changing them out? Are you powering them with the stock amp?
Old 01-06-21, 12:32 PM
Gr8
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
I believe you will need a sub that is made for open air\free air. Just pulling a sub off the shelf may or may not work since they are probably not designed to be used in an open space.
Yeah, i thought the same. Neither JBL or Polk are open air but I saw a few people used them in their Toyotas with success so I thought I will give them a shot. The Pioneer I am considering is an open air sub and is 2 ohms as well, so I have a bit higher expectations from that one. But the darn thing costs 130 bucks.

Originally Posted by christ0efu
How is the sound after changing them out? Are you powering them with the stock amp?
I think the sound is much crisp, I will let someone else be the judge of that. I am going to wait a few days to break them in, probably after about 10 hours of usage. Yup, still using the stock amp to power them all. The Infinity speakers were the most efficient ones with 90+ db sensitivity and 3 ohms, so I didnt need to change the amp or worry about overloading the stock amp. The only other sub $100 ones with 90+ db sensitivity were Hertz Uno 165 but they use paper cone and foam surrounding, which I am not a fan of.
Old 01-07-21, 12:51 AM
Measured
Advanced

Received 109 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by byungkuk
I've been consider upgrading to a viofo a129 pro 4k from my aukey dr02,,, is it worth the upgrade?

TIA
Yes! I had a pretty good dual 1080p camera. However, I wanted some change. I do have to look at getting a battery pack for parking mode, but once WFH is over for me it'll be a priority.

Main reasons for the purchase

- best value 4k dash cam
- App accessibility
- Price
- Cleaner install as you can't tell I have one.
- had some money burning a hole in my pocket

Let me know if you have any other questions
The following users liked this post:
byungkuk (01-07-21)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?