GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-21, 02:43 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 512 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by 123go
Shoot, I didn't realize I hit on 4th gen here. I started to hunt down a pic online but knowing how well people here know their cars I knew someone here would know exactly what I meant. I dont own the car yet so I cant snap a pic real easy or I would have for sure, Its 80 miles from me.
Ill head over to 3rd gens..thanks anyway!
Here are some pics/screen snips I found online of what I think you're talking about that you can use over on the 3GS forum. One of them I marked what I think you're talking about. I think you should be able to right click and save them hopefully?

Another suggestion - I'd start a new thread (not just add a post to an existing thread) with a descriptive title like "Front Seat Trim Modification/Swap". If you're at the index of the 3GS forum you should see an orangish/brownish button that says " + New Thread " just under the Sub-Forum section and above the Sticky Treads.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-19-21, 04:26 PM
123go
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LexusGSBoy thats the part I was referring too all right. These pics will easily help identify it so when I get time on my pc I'll download them & start a new thread cause I am rather curious. Thank you for going above & beyond.
Sadly even though that GS I found had a clean carfax it had been wrecked so I passed. I'll have to find one now.
Both its fender & door vin stickers were gone and sand marks (body filler) on the rear quarter so clearly she took a good side shot and poorly repaired.
I really appreciate all your help, thanks and you take care!
Sorry for screwing up the thread, Ill have to read things better first.

Started a new thread (my first btw) on this using pics so if anyone wants to clean this one up feel free to do so, thanks again for all your help!

Last edited by 123go; 07-22-21 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-24-21, 08:27 PM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

I changed the oil today. Warranty ran out so I’m finally learning my way around the car.
Old 07-24-21, 09:14 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

What brand and weight oil and filter did you use? I'm doing my first oil change on my 15 I got about 3 months ago. I live in Texas so went with Mobil 1 extended performance 5w-20 and a Mobile 1 extended performance filter as well.
Old 07-25-21, 11:00 AM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJ350
What brand and weight oil and filter did you use? I'm doing my first oil change on my 15 I got about 3 months ago. I live in Texas so went with Mobil 1 extended performance 5w-20 and a Mobile 1 extended performance filter as well.
I used 0w20 Mobil 1 and a purolator filter. No stores close by had the mobil1 filter in stock or I would’ve used that.
Old 07-29-21, 07:00 AM
NickDangr
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

I replaced the gasket on the sunroof. I tried to loosen the Torx screws first. They were so tight that I stripped out the heads of two of them before I gave up. I've never seen that before. Torx is supposed to be proof against stripping!
Old 07-29-21, 07:21 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by NickDangr
I replaced the gasket on the sunroof. I tried to loosen the Torx screws first. They were so tight that I stripped out the heads of two of them before I gave up. I've never seen that before. Torx is supposed to be proof against stripping!
I'm afraid to strip the heads off as well. Maybe I'll use a long breaker bar for leverage.
Old 07-29-21, 07:48 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

I changed my Sunroof seal a few months ago myself. After much reading I conclude there was no reason to remove the sunroof screws and or any screws. I installed my new seal in just a few mins without removing them. You can do it very easy without removing. That would be my suggestion to anyone. Do not loosen those screws. Many have done it without.
The following users liked this post:
CAKETOWN (07-30-21)
Old 07-29-21, 08:01 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I changed my Sunroof seal a few months ago myself. After much reading I conclude there was no reason to remove the sunroof screws and or any screws. I installed my new seal in just a few mins without removing them. You can do it very easy without removing. That would be my suggestion to anyone. Do not loosen those screws. Many have done it without.
That's true that you could and I have done it this way. But the looseness in the glass itself is why I want to "adjust" the panel, even after a new seal was done.
Old 07-29-21, 08:11 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MX73
That's true that you could and I have done it this way. But the looseness in the glass itself is why I want to "adjust" the panel, even after a new seal was done.
Ok got it, did not know that. Was just trying to save others and let know and share the easy way.
Old 07-30-21, 11:07 AM
NickDangr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jgscott
Agreed. It was easy to do without removing the screws.
Old 07-30-21, 01:13 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 280 Likes on 242 Posts

Agreed. It was easy to do without removing the screws.
I couldn’t get it without removing the 2 front screws. The hardest part was reinstalling the the side Accordion style pieces. For whatever reason took me forever to get them back into the channels
Old 08-01-21, 08:07 PM
NickDangr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lexo98
I couldn’t get it without removing the 2 front screws. The hardest part was reinstalling the the side Accordion style pieces. For whatever reason took me forever to get them back into the channels
I got the gasket 99% installed with my fingers. I used a plastic pry bar to get the bits at the front that are never exposed by either slide or tilt.
Old 08-02-21, 07:35 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I got the gasket 99% installed with my fingers. I used a plastic pry bar to get the bits at the front that are never exposed by either slide or tilt.
I also had to carefully close the sunroof with half the new seal on then do the other half and open it back up.
Old 08-02-21, 07:36 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexo98
We all have the same Sun roof and Seal. Why could you not install it without removing the screws?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?