What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-22, 04:30 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
That scooter though...

So u decided to go with the AS4. I'm still deciding between the 4S and AS4. Need more cha-ching for the 4S.
I was rehabbing that scoot for my niece. Replaced the batteries and as soon as Omicron gives us a break, I'll return it.

These are the Christmas scoots!
The following users liked this post:
lexus4jess (01-10-22)
Old 01-08-22, 02:39 PM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

Became a part of the GS F tail light family. Sooo much better than the 2013-2015 tail lights

The following 4 users liked this post by Kingmatt24:
bloodbean (01-09-22), chinee (01-08-22), lexus4jess (01-10-22), MX73 (02-06-22)
Old 01-10-22, 06:33 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Wish they made the reverse chrome trim black.
Old 01-10-22, 08:37 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus4jess
Wish they made the reverse chrome trim black.
normally I wouldn’t like reverse lights to stick out so much but I’m this case I don’t mind them and they kind of tie in with the chrome on the turn signals
Old 01-11-22, 12:11 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 510 Likes on 272 Posts

Ok...so technically not today - I'm a day late....

She had a very busy week. Monday she got dropped off for her 50k. Had a 2021 ES250 in Caviar. Wasn't horrible if you put it in sport mode is all I can say. Really really really made me appreciate what fun the 4GS is.

As part of the check up I mentioned the engine noise others have had. Turned out to be the vacuum pump issue - more on that later....

We actually had a little bit of non-rainy, warm (46 degree) weather so I was able to take the time to give her a proper bath. It's amazing how much residue the car washes leave. First pass with the power washer and all kinds of soap came off. This was also my first chance to use all of my new Adams products that I picked up on Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales....

The following 3 users liked this post by LexusGSboy:
AJLex19 (01-11-22), BlueIS05 (01-11-22), JDR76 (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 08:41 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Looking good @LexusGSboy !

We had a chance to dry out on Sunday too. The sun felt incredible.

When I saw you post that ES picture I got scared for a minute, but then was quickly relieved to see it was just a loaner.
ItzFilyO (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 09:47 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
Ok...so technically not today - I'm a day late....

She had a very busy week. Monday she got dropped off for her 50k. Had a 2021 ES250 in Caviar. Wasn't horrible if you put it in sport mode is all I can say. Really really really made me appreciate what fun the 4GS is.

As part of the check up I mentioned the engine noise others have had. Turned out to be the vacuum pump issue - more on that later....

We actually had a little bit of non-rainy, warm (46 degree) weather so I was able to take the time to give her a proper bath. It's amazing how much residue the car washes leave. First pass with the power washer and all kinds of soap came off. This was also my first chance to use all of my new Adams products that I picked up on Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales....

Please let us know about what's going on with the Vacuum pump? This is a issue that many have had concerns about with a engine noise. Can you describe what you were hearing and when?
Old 01-11-22, 01:29 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDR76
Looking good @LexusGSboy !

We had a chance to dry out on Sunday too. The sun felt incredible.

When I saw you post that ES picture I got scared for a minute, but then was quickly relieved to see it was just a loaner.
It's funny....I thought about posting "Upgraded the GS" and putting a picture of the ES but we all know that's not an upgrade

The ES250 is a fine car for what it is and Sport Mode did make a noticeable difference and the mileage was certainly better. What was also apparent is just the feel of things - I don't know if this changes with something like an F Sport Trim ES350 vs this one. It was very clear the difference in materials that folks always talk about in the GS. The plastic of things like the turn indicator and the buttons on the steering wheel just felt a step down. I don't know how you make plastics feel so noticeably different (or maybe it was all in my head?) I understand making the push of a button different with the mechanics underneath but these even the surface just didn't feel as nice. I did like the fact that the heated steering wheel had an "Auto" option like the seats, but it still didn't seem to heat the wheel really well. I'm also not a fan of the new button layout on the ES steering wheel but maybe it would be ok once I got used to it. It just seemed a lot less intuitive. When I first sat in the GS and was test driving them it was just easy getting used to things. The ES did not seem that way. Maybe they're too similar and it's all mental?

Also, the trunk opening on the ES was significantly different. Things that I can regularly get in the GS took some work getting in the trunk of the ES - just a combination of the how the opening was cut, both the lower lip by the bumper and how far back the upper edge was from the rear of the car. Again, it wasn't horrible but I was surprised of how different it was. I also realized how much I LOVE the power trunk. I don't think I could ever live without that option again.

Last edited by LexusGSboy; 01-11-22 at 01:41 PM.
JDR76 (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 02:08 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgscott
Please let us know about what's going on with the Vacuum pump? This is a issue that many have had concerns about with a engine noise. Can you describe what you were hearing and when?
Definitely - if I don't get it posted this week I'll for sure get a write up posted this weekend.

But for short it was very similar to this:
in the post by @Ameschke here: GS 350 Strange engine noise

And here's the TSB on it: L-SB-0010-18 and here: L-SB-0010-18 Rev2

Had the warranty not covered it it would have been about a $1200 repair.
Old 01-11-22, 05:06 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Is it the knocking noise towards the end of the video? I think I had the same noise on my old 2018 RC with the FKS engine but haven't really heard it on the GS since the GS cabin is so quiet.
Old 01-11-22, 05:22 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

What it says on Youtube is: Engine start, placed in reverse at :43, back to park at 1:04 noise starts at 1:07

Mine tended to do it when cold or after sitting a few hours. I could drive it at least 700 feet or more and you'd still hear it - then at some point it would be fine. You could start it and stop it and it wouldn't do it again it sat a bit.

With the hood down it doesn't sound near that bad. At first I thought it was the high pressure fuel pump everyone talked about but at some point I just got curious about it more and opened the hood and WOW, the noise was pretty loud so I started trying to research. I looked at the CAM issue folks talk about and it just didn't seem to be that - that noise would go away a lot more quickly it seemed and it just wasn't the same.
Old 01-11-22, 05:48 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

What it says on Youtube is: Engine start, placed in reverse at :43, back to park at 1:04 noise starts at 1:07

Mine tended to do it when cold or after sitting a few hours. I could drive it at least 700 feet or more and you'd still hear it - then at some point it would be fine. You could start it and stop it and it wouldn't do it again it sat a bit.

With the hood down it doesn't sound near that bad. At first I thought it was the high pressure fuel pump everyone talked about but at some point I just got curious about it more and opened the hood and WOW, the noise was pretty loud so I started trying to research. I looked at the CAM issue folks talk about and it just didn't seem to be that - that noise would go away a lot more quickly it seemed and it just wasn't the same.
The Tacoma guys been complaining about the Vac pump noise for years now. What year is your GS? How long have you been hearing the noise for now?
Old 01-12-22, 03:39 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgscott
The Tacoma guys been complaining about the Vac pump noise for years now. What year is your GS? How long have you been hearing the noise for now?
It's a 2016. On GS's the TSB only addresses 2016-2017MY with certain engine numbers. The noise has happened since I first test drove the car (Feb 2020) to an extent. I asked the sales consultant about it and he discussed the numerous noises folks talk about this engine making and without clearly saying it, that basically it might be a bit of a futile effort chasing things. I had been reading a lot here so I knew there were certain noises and it was very intermittent. Weather (Winter vs Summer) seemed to make a bit of difference too. I had heard at least one other GS I test drove make what I thought was probably the same noise (although that could have been the VVT) That one was RWD and I was still thinking I really wanted AWD and it was not certified so it made me a bit nervous. The difficulty was trying to figure out all the different noises between the high pressure fuel pump, the VVT, and then the vacuum pump when you've never heard any of those noises before first hand. I was also going on what the noise sounded like with the hood closed - I'm still shocked at how much that hood quiets things down.

As I tried to research this, everything coming up was always around the fuel pump or the VVT - I've probably read every thread and heated debate (some get pretty crazy) on here about the VVT noise and listened to I don't know how many videos and kept coming back to the fact that it just didn't seem to really sound like that. Then the post popped up on the vacuum pump and when I listened it actually sounded pretty close. I googled and found the TSB which made me a bit more confident. Then luckily I got a lead on a very good Service Advisor from another local Lexus owner. I have to say he was excellent to work with and was great about wanting to help.
Old 01-12-22, 05:43 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Perfect lighting to show off the body lines on the hood.

The following 4 users liked this post by peasodos:
AJLex19 (01-16-22), bloodbean (01-13-22), lexus4jess (01-25-22), LexusGSboy (01-12-22)
Old 01-12-22, 06:01 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

It's a 2016. On GS's the TSB only addresses 2016-2017MY with certain engine numbers. The noise has happened since I first test drove the car (Feb 2020) to an extent. I asked the sales consultant about it and he discussed the numerous noises folks talk about this engine making and without clearly saying it, that basically it might be a bit of a futile effort chasing things. I had been reading a lot here so I knew there were certain noises and it was very intermittent. Weather (Winter vs Summer) seemed to make a bit of difference too. I had heard at least one other GS I test drove make what I thought was probably the same noise (although that could have been the VVT) That one was RWD and I was still thinking I really wanted AWD and it was not certified so it made me a bit nervous. The difficulty was trying to figure out all the different noises between the high pressure fuel pump, the VVT, and then the vacuum pump when you've never heard any of those noises before first hand. I was also going on what the noise sounded like with the hood closed - I'm still shocked at how much that hood quiets things down.

As I tried to research this, everything coming up was always around the fuel pump or the VVT - I've probably read every thread and heated debate (some get pretty crazy) on here about the VVT noise and listened to I don't know how many videos and kept coming back to the fact that it just didn't seem to really sound like that. Then the post popped up on the vacuum pump and when I listened it actually sounded pretty close. I googled and found the TSB which made me a bit more confident. Then luckily I got a lead on a very good Service Advisor from another local Lexus owner. I have to say he was excellent to work with and was great about wanting to help.
VVT long been fixed before the 4th Gen. To me that don't sound like the Fuel pump noise at all. I've been mentioning the Vacuum Pump problem as the source for a while now. The thing is, its not just only on the 2016 - 2017. Toyota been telling Owners it normal. Some Lexus Dealers, been saying for a while they dont know and sending it to Lexus. Some Toyota and Lexus Owner had it replaced/repaired and the noise wa still there.

Your recording sounds exactly like the Vacuum pump, I've been hearing for a while now on Toyotas and Lexus's. Good they are going to do under Warranty for you. My friend left his 15 GS350 a few months ago parked, and asked me to take him to get his car. We heard it on start up clear as day. Not that serious but it sounded like a Piston slap to me. Then it went away quickly. Thank for sharing. I'm sure they will fix whatever it is on yours.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?