GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-22, 06:33 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 512 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
VVT long been fixed before the 4th Gen. To me that don't sound like the Fuel pump noise at all. I've been mentioning the Vacuum Pump problem as the source for a while now. The thing is, its not just only on the 2016 - 2017. Toyota been telling Owners it normal. Some Lexus Dealers, been saying for a while they dont know and sending it to Lexus. Some Toyota and Lexus Owner had it replaced/repaired and the noise wa still there.

Your recording sounds exactly like the Vacuum pump, I've been hearing for a while now on Toyotas and Lexus's. Good they are going to do under Warranty for you. My friend left his 15 GS350 a few months ago parked, and asked me to take him to get his car. We heard it on start up clear as day. Not that serious but it sounded like a Piston slap to me. Then it went away quickly. Thank for sharing. I'm sure they will fix whatever it is on yours.
From reading the posts it wasn't always clear about the VVT being fixed. It seemed more like some folks had the issue, others didn't and it wasn't clear from reading things why it happened on some vehicles but not others (same make/model).

FYI - that wasn't my recording - that was a link to other person who posted it that helped me narrow it down but someone was asking so I wanted to get something up quick so I re-linked and credited the original post. I haven't had a chance to get the recordings off the phone and uploaded somewhere so I could link them to the write up I wanted to do. Was hoping to put things together in such a way as to help folks like me who have a decent knowledge of cars (or less) distinguish between the different sounds folks mention on here.
Old 01-16-22, 12:05 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 280 Likes on 242 Posts

Installed the JDM Toy LED strip in the trunk. The connector into the light socket is a bit loose. The wires could be longer but I think they are long enough. Put some Velcro on the back of the strip and stuck it to the trunk liner.
Old 01-16-22, 08:02 AM
mtucci3
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I changed some car customizations. My favorite is that I can now roll the windows down with the key fob
Old 01-22-22, 10:23 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

Got an alignment done today. After more than 3 years and 28K on the original Bridgestone Potenza summer tires that came on my 18, I noticed severe wear on the outer edge of the passenger front. Let's see what kind of mileage I can get out of these Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's.
Old 01-22-22, 11:10 AM
chinee
Racer

Forgot to post the Before and After alignment settings. The passenger wheel toe setting was the main culprit for the adverse wear.

Old 01-23-22, 03:14 PM
chinee
Racer

Washed, first time in a couple of months .

The following 3 users liked this post by chinee:
BlueIS05 (01-25-22), FSportOnly (02-03-22), lexus4jess (01-25-22)
Old 01-24-22, 02:39 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 550 Likes on 400 Posts

I hate you guys in the south, mine has been in the garage for 2 months. The salt on the roads is as white as the snow here. Looking good Chin!
Old 01-24-22, 07:59 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Ok....a day late again. seems like weekends are such a rush to get things done.

We had another beautiful sunny day, ( wait, scratch that....it was a crappy rainy day....don't move here ) so she got another bath. I used a bunch of my new Adams producs I picked up on the Black Friday sale on Amazon - more on that below...first pictures!

First Foam Soak:

Adams Iron Fallout Remover after wash:

All Dry and Pretty:

And another.....

On to the Adams products....I picked up their Premium Foam Cannon, their Microfiber Wash Mitt, Ultra Foam Car Shampoo, The Iron Fallout Remover, the Grey Edgeless Microfiber Towels and Double Soft Microfiber Towels.

The Foam Cannon I'm still getting used to. The first use a couple weeks ago I wasn't impressed with it that much. The reason I wanted this one was because I liked that you can direct the fan of the foam to be horizontal or vertical - I think horizontal is easier for the roof, hood, and trunk and works fine for the sides. I found adjust this very difficult - maybe itll loosen a bit more with use. Every time I adjusted it I messed up the nozzle adjustment and had to reset that back. Adjusting the bubbles was a bit tricky too. This time I used more soap and that seemed to help. The instructions I thought were a little unclear. It says fill the jar 4/5 full and then add 2oz of the shampoo. It has measurements on the side that only go up to where the bottle curves in I wish they just said fill to the 1000ml mark and add 2oz. That still left plenty of room at the top. The first time I only filled it to 800ml (which would be 4/5) and then added the 2oz which didn't fill it to the 1000ml mark. This time I filled to 1000ml and then added 3 oz of shampoo. Seemed ok. I have to admit - I think if I had paid full price I'd likely return it but at the discount I'll probably keep it.

The wash mitt seems nice - it's sort of a foam wrapped in microfiber. My previous mitts were the Chemical Guys. Those the inner liner seems to come apart pretty quickly. I think I like the Adams one better. Seems soft and seems good at removing dirt and not scratching.

The Ultra Foam Shampoo seems fine. Smells like grape bubblegum. My previous was the Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II. Off the cuff I think the Maxi suds is better but I need to do more of a test when the weather finally gets nicer. The Chemical Guys has a major Cherry scent.

The Iron Fallout Remover was a bust for me. Maybe that's because I live in a place where we don't have much in terms of metal fallout getting on the car? Maybe if I lived near more industrial stuff it would have helped? I noticed none of the cool purple color where it was neutralizing things when it was on the car. I will say when I rinsed there were a couple places where it seemed like the water dripping off the car had a purplish tinge to it so maybe it did do something? There was also some purple in the soap suds on the driveway but who knows if that was from off the car or it reacting with metal on the driveway.

The towels I was pretty impressed with. The double soft polishing towns are definitely nice and thick and the grey ones certainly felt like decent quality. I think my favorite drying cloths are still my two Chemical Guys - The Waffle Weave Gray Matter and the Miracle Dryer Absorber. I'm likely going to save the Adams for when I do a bit more of a detail like waxing or polishing. Nice towels - just likely better for doing other things than just drying.
The following users liked this post:
lexus4jess (01-25-22)
Old 01-24-22, 08:30 PM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
Ok....a day late again. seems like weekends are such a rush to get things done.

The Iron Fallout Remover was a bust for me. Maybe that's because I live in a place where we don't have much in terms of metal fallout getting on the car? Maybe if I lived near more industrial stuff it would have helped? I noticed none of the cool purple color where it was neutralizing things when it was on the car. I will say when I rinsed there were a couple places where it seemed like the water dripping off the car had a purplish tinge to it so maybe it did do something? There was also some purple in the soap suds on the driveway but who knows if that was from off the car or it reacting with metal on the driveway.

The towels I was pretty impressed with. The double soft polishing towns are definitely nice and thick and the grey ones certainly felt like decent quality. I think my favorite drying cloths are still my two Chemical Guys - The Waffle Weave Gray Matter and the Miracle Dryer Absorber. I'm likely going to save the Adams for when I do a bit more of a detail like waxing or polishing. Nice towels - just likely better for doing other things than just drying.
Try using it on the wheels... all that metal dust from the metallic pads... I'm sure there's lots to remove from the surface of the rims and around the wheel wells.
Old 01-24-22, 09:56 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by chinee
Try using it on the wheels... all that metal dust from the metallic pads... I'm sure there's lots to remove from the surface of the rims and around the wheel wells.
To clarify - I sprayed the entire car including the area around the wheels/wheel wells. I used the entire bottle. I did not spray the wheels directly but I'm sure some of the over spray from going around the wheel wells would have gotten on the wheels. I never saw anything like the photos on Amazon. Not even close. There was no purple streaking at all anywhere, none. The area that I caught the rinse water having a very slight pink/purple tinge to it as it dripped was behind the rear wheels.

Maybe on a white car something may have been more noticeable? Or maybe its something to do with all of our rain constantly rinsing things? I was hoping to not see a ton of contaminates but a little streaking as it was running down the side of the car would have been nice so that I knew it did something. I thought about getting another bottle if I caught it on a decent sale to try on one of the older cars - I could try it on the wheels more directly then as well.
Old 01-25-22, 03:12 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 550 Likes on 400 Posts

Might wanna try the Adam's Mega Foam shampoo next time. I use it and the foaming is off the charts with 2 ounces into the foam cannon.I also have soft water run into my pressure washer. I picked up their ultra plush drying towel which absorbs very well. Do you use a leaf blower to assist in your drying? My MTM brand cannon recommends to flush the nozzle with clean water after each use if not, it can clog the filter. I forgot to rinse it once and the next time I used it it would barely foam. I took the filter out to clean and it worked as new.

Last edited by charley95; 01-25-22 at 03:28 AM.
LexusGSboy (01-25-22)
Old 01-28-22, 06:48 PM
mtucci3
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Tonight -

1. I replaced the hood lift supports and adjusted the hood seats. I got a set on Amazon for $31. They work great.
2. I replaced the front door speakers with 6x9's (non-coaxial/partial component) and dash speakers with 4" Focal. I used a GM wire harness that I saw on an ES thread and worked great. No cutting.
3. I installed the @BeatSonic CarPlay unit along with the DVD/NAV bypass. You pay a bit for the unit, but the support is unrivaled and worth every penny. (Thanks Eric). There was a small hiccup with the CAN board and Eric had a new one out to me in no time. It's really great having this function back again coming from a car that had factory CarPlay.
4. I was getting a little bit of wind noise coming from the moonroof when the shade was open and replaced the seal. Again, instruction from another ClubLexus thread that helped me through this one. It did the trick.
Very quiet now.

Plans for the weekend:
1. Install illuminated door sills (just got them today)
2. Install 6-1/2 components in the back doors. I made tweeter brackets similar to the factory ones, so we'll see how that works out.

This car is so fun and rewarding to drive. I love having a reason to go somewhere. I can see why you guys (and ladies) love your GS's so much.
jgscott (01-28-22)
Old 01-28-22, 07:43 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Wash and wax.

Not wax actually. Washed with the Gold Class soap and tried out Bead Maker for the 1st time after I dried it. I've read mixed reviews on the stuff but it looks awfully shiny and the paint feels super slick to the touch. We'll see how it goes next few days, I live in a dusty kind of place and it's supposed to be prone to attracting dust.
Old 01-28-22, 07:50 PM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by gs350noob
Wash and wax.

Not wax actually. Washed with the Gold Class soap and tried out Bead Maker for the 1st time after I dried it. I've read mixed reviews on the stuff but it looks awfully shiny and the paint feels super slick to the touch. We'll see how it goes next few days, I live in a dusty kind of place and it's supposed to be prone to attracting dust.
I applied some to my daughter's Civic a few weeks ago after a wash and she was excited by the shine and slick feel. 3 days later she's in the garage trying to remember where she visited recently since her car was so dusty, that's when I remembered why I stopped using the BM more than a year ago. It truly is a dust magnet.
Old 01-28-22, 07:54 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
I applied some to my daughter's Civic a few weeks ago after a wash and she was excited by the shine and slick feel. 3 days later she's in the garage trying to remember where she visited recently since her car was so dusty, that's when I remembered why I stopped using the BM more than a year ago. It truly is a dust magnet.
Oh ***** looks like I'll be washing it again next week. My car's gonna probably turn red in the next couple days. My favorite I've tried so far is Auto Fanatic 007 it's awesome. A friend recommended the BM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?