GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-22, 04:50 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 550 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
When I had my 2020 ES Premium, I hit a piece of a flying plywood from a trunk that ran over it in front of me, similar to that in the pic (just the thin sheet). It hit the headlight, dented the front bumper, fender, knocked out the side mirror. $7K+ in damages. That's only an ES premium hitting a thin plywood. You add two big wood blocks like that to the mix with a GS, it would probably be at least 10K in damages easy.
For sure, flying in the air is a different story than just sitting on the road. If you have enough momentum, you'll likely just go over it even if you make contact.
Old 06-23-22, 06:47 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

When I had my 2020 ES Premium, I hit a piece of a flying plywood from a trunk that ran over it in front of me, similar to that in the pic (just the thin sheet). It hit the headlight, dented the front bumper, fender, knocked out the side mirror. $7K+ in damages. That's only an ES premium hitting a thin plywood. You add two big wood blocks like that to the mix with a GS, it would probably be at least 10K in damages easy.
Yes my old ES350 U/L, $7k also from a front end road object hit. It adds easy. At speed that wood could have even flatten tires, and bent rims in addition to suspension parts up under. The front end bumper bottom even a/c and radiator. That wood would have Not just squashed down like clay. lol!
The following users liked this post:
ItzFilyO (06-23-22)
Old 06-23-22, 07:27 PM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

Toyota/Lexus makes more profit on parts than selling new cars. If you were to buy a Corolla in genuine OEM parts and put it all together, it would cost $500K.
Old 06-24-22, 02:24 AM
BMGS
Racer

I used knifeless tape for the first time and its pretty incredible stuff. I used a light smoke vinyl tint wrap to darken the chrome strip above the license plate to match the GS-F tail lights I'll be installing soon. The knifeless tape lets you cleanly cut the vinyl to any shape for an OEM look.

​​​​​The OEM dark chrome part is only $100 but this was a good opportunity to practice without any stress of using a knife near the paint. It came out pretty good and only took 30 minutes. With the tape you can leave the chrome exposed at the edges for an inlay effect. I did that a bit here out of necessity due to the surface area to bond the tape as it was layered for the pointed edge.

Last edited by BMGS; 06-24-22 at 02:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BMGS:
AJLex19 (06-24-22), chinee (06-24-22)
Old 06-24-22, 02:57 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by jgscott
Yes my old ES350 U/L, $7k also from a front end road object hit. It adds easy. At speed that wood could have even flatten tires, and bent rims in addition to suspension parts up under. The front end bumper bottom even a/c and radiator. That wood would have Not just squashed down like clay. lol!
I guess I have been lucky that the stuff I have hit has all either gone under the car or been deflected by the tires. Either way, I would still rather incur a few grand of damage than risk far worse by swerving out of the way or slamming on my brakes.

99% chance that the person behind me doesn't have as good tires or brakes as I do and 55% chance they are texting and not paying attention. You would not believe how many people here in Florida text while on the highway.

Obviously there's a million variables and not saying any one way is wrong or right. If I were on an open, wide dry road with my warmed up PS4S tires, I'd probably swerve to save the front end.

Last edited by BMGS; 06-24-22 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-26-22, 02:34 AM
BMGS
Racer

I tinted the DRL using a light smoke VVivid Ultimate. It has a very high gloss finish that doesn't look aftermarket like some of the other films I have seen. My first attempt a few months ago using a precut template from eBay didn't work out but after learning about knifeless tape, it came out much better.

Last edited by BMGS; 06-27-22 at 05:46 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by BMGS:
AJLex19 (07-09-22), bob256k (06-27-22), chinee (06-26-22), Kingmatt24 (06-29-22), MuaGS350 (06-29-22)
Old 07-08-22, 09:16 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Indoor ONR wash

Water restrictions in effect now. Always done the two bucket method. Today pulled it in the garage, put 2 gallons water in a bucket, added 2 capfuls of Optimum No Rinse, soaked 12 microfibers in the solution, presoaked the car with a spray of the same solution from a mist sprayer, gently wiped the dirt off the car. Worked in small sections first wiping down then drying.;l Finished with a quick application of Griot's best in show detailer.

Found this method on You Tube, it's called the Garry Dean method.

The solution did a great job cleaning, and it only takes a bit longer than doing a normal wash. Nice to not worry about water spotting from the water drying before the towel hitting it. I would be nervous about pulling dirt across the surface if the car was really dirty, but the car had been washed and waxed very recently, so there was basically just a layer of dust which wasn't too worrisome.

Looks like this will be my method until the restrictions are lifted. Plan on doing it every 1-2 weeks to keep the car from getting too nasty.

s

Old 07-08-22, 11:10 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Hawaii is in a drought too?
Old 07-08-22, 11:20 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by gs350noob
Water restrictions in effect now. Always done the two bucket method. Today pulled it in the garage, put 2 gallons water in a bucket, added 2 capfuls of Optimum No Rinse, soaked 12 microfibers in the solution, presoaked the car with a spray of the same solution from a mist sprayer, gently wiped the dirt off the car. Worked in small sections first wiping down then drying.;l Finished with a quick application of Griot's best in show detailer.

Found this method on You Tube, it's called the Garry Dean method.

The solution did a great job cleaning, and it only takes a bit longer than doing a normal wash. Nice to not worry about water spotting from the water drying before the towel hitting it. I would be nervous about pulling dirt across the surface if the car was really dirty, but the car had been washed and waxed very recently, so there was basically just a layer of dust which wasn't too worrisome.

Looks like this will be my method until the restrictions are lifted. Plan on doing it every 1-2 weeks to keep the car from getting too nasty.
Looks great, I saw an example just like yours recently and was convinced that's the best color for that year.

I've been using that method recently as well since I have little time during the day to wash the car but enough time early morning when the car is in the garage and the family is sleeping. Didn't know it had a name to it!

I used to pull it outside to pressure wash/foam cannon using a spotless water source to remove larger debris before the ONR process but haven't been able to get to that in the past few months.

Now I do as you mentioned although I use a lot more than 2 capfuls of solution, just to be safe. I presoak to the point where its dripping to the floor and use probably 20-30 microfibers including the final sealing step. I use a spotless water systems "Simple Chuck" to fill the water buckets and presoak water so that I don't need to dry it off right away. I use Adams H20 Guard and Gloss as a drying agent/sealant.

I am always nervous about pulling dirt and grit across the surface but with a pitch black exterior and a constant eye on swirls or fine scratches, I haven't seen any negative effects yet.
Old 07-08-22, 11:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Old 07-08-22, 02:19 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

parts of it. I’m on the leeward (dry) side of Maui. Plenty of rain in mountains - literally hundreds of inches - but the reorvoir infrastructure is small.

if they had enough storage a drought would be impossible.
Old 07-08-22, 02:23 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BMGS
Looks great, I saw an example just like yours recently and was convinced that's the best color for that year.

I've been using that method recently as well since I have little time during the day to wash the car but enough time early morning when the car is in the garage and the family is sleeping. Didn't know it had a name to it!

I used to pull it outside to pressure wash/foam cannon using a spotless water source to remove larger debris before the ONR process but haven't been able to get to that in the past few months.

Now I do as you mentioned although I use a lot more than 2 capfuls of solution, just to be safe. I presoak to the point where its dripping to the floor and use probably 20-30 microfibers including the final sealing step. I use a spotless water systems "Simple Chuck" to fill the water buckets and presoak water so that I don't need to dry it off right away. I use Adams H20 Guard and Gloss as a drying agent/sealant.

I am always nervous about pulling dirt and grit across the surface but with a pitch black exterior and a constant eye on swirls or fine scratches, I haven't seen any negative effects yet.
Wow that sounds like quite a system. I figure if I’m on it and also out of the sunlight as I am in the garage, water spotting shouldn’t be too much of a problem. I’m pretty vigilant right now about cleaning the car every week or two. As long as it doesn’t get too dirty I feel like this method provides plenty of lubrication. Actually feels pretty good not to waste so much water. The part I can’t figure out is there an efficient way to clean the wheels? I just sort of used older rags and the same solution and it seem to work OK. What do you do for the wheels? Also the tires, I generally dress them with VRP but I’m not sure if I should do that without scrubbing the tires down pretty good with the wire brush etc.
Old 07-08-22, 02:36 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
parts of it. I’m on the leeward (dry) side of Maui. Plenty of rain in mountains - literally hundreds of inches - but the reorvoir infrastructure is small.

if they had enough storage a drought would be impossible.
Right, cause the last time I was there some years ago it was raining almost every day. I went to Oahu and the big island, never been to Maui though but I heard it's nice there.
Old 07-08-22, 02:59 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Right, cause the last time I was there some years ago it was raining almost every day. I went to Oahu and the big island, never been to Maui though but I heard it's nice there.
No place is perfect but I’m not looking to leave.
Old 07-08-22, 03:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

@ItzFilyO - Are you thinking of taking a road trip there in the GS?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?