GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-22, 03:48 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Yeah sure, my GS can convert into a submarine. 007 Style.
Old 07-08-22, 05:01 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
Wow that sounds like quite a system. I figure if I’m on it and also out of the sunlight as I am in the garage, water spotting shouldn’t be too much of a problem. I’m pretty vigilant right now about cleaning the car every week or two. As long as it doesn’t get too dirty I feel like this method provides plenty of lubrication. Actually feels pretty good not to waste so much water. The part I can’t figure out is there an efficient way to clean the wheels? I just sort of used older rags and the same solution and it seem to work OK. What do you do for the wheels? Also the tires, I generally dress them with VRP but I’m not sure if I should do that without scrubbing the tires down pretty good with the wire brush etc.
Its pretty much the same system that you use, I just added the spotless water filter. For the wheels I essentially use the same process and a separate microfiber for each wheel/tire. I am hesitant to use anything stronger since I won't be flushing the area with much water and I don't want to leave any degreaser residue. I use a wheel sealant so that keeps them easy to clean and the tires get pretty clean for dressing with just a microfiber scrub.
Old 07-09-22, 01:11 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Right, cause the last time I was there some years ago it was raining almost every day. I went to Oahu and the big island, never been to Maui though but I heard it's nice there.
Oh man you missed the two best islands LOL!

Kauai is easily the most beautiful and romantic and Maui has the best beaches and surf.
Old 07-09-22, 04:12 AM
BMGS
Racer

I replaced the battery after noticing weak/ hard starts and confirmed by a 12.3v resting voltage, 13.3v running voltage and a drop to 7v during startup. The OEM battery was from 2019 based on service records although there is no date code on the battery itself.

I could have gotten a warranty from Lexus but I wasn't in a position to drop it off for an appointment. I tried a Toyota dealer but they couldn't pull the part number to see if they had a compatible battery. I bought an aftermarket AGM battery from O'Reilly auto after researching that their batteries are made at the same main producers as Interstate, which makes the current OEM battery, as far as I know.

I used an EZ RED memory saver which is a standalone rechargeable battery that plugs into the OBD II port to keep all settings intact.
Old 07-09-22, 06:54 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

About to get started. Last polish was at the end of 2019. Paint still looks good but there are a few scuffs. So washed last night and about to sweat off a few hundred calories.
Old 07-09-22, 08:22 AM
chinee
Racer

Halfway through… road grime.

Old 07-09-22, 10:32 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BMGS
I replaced the battery after noticing weak/ hard starts and confirmed by a 12.3v resting voltage, 13.3v running voltage and a drop to 7v during startup. The OEM battery was from 2019 based on service records although there is no date code on the battery itself.

I could have gotten a warranty from Lexus but I wasn't in a position to drop it off for an appointment. I tried a Toyota dealer but they couldn't pull the part number to see if they had a compatible battery. I bought an aftermarket AGM battery from O'Reilly auto after researching that their batteries are made at the same main producers as Interstate, which makes the current OEM battery, as far as I know.

I used an EZ RED memory saver which is a standalone rechargeable battery that plugs into the OBD II port to keep all settings intact.
I changed my battery about a month ago... mine's MY16 and the battery was original and I was facing weak starts as well.. like instead of the normal "vroom" sound when the car turns on - it was at like 50% volume.. That seems to have subsided once I swapped it out... Was your weak start similar? Got my battery from Costco and it was a B trying to remove out the battery cage/holder.
Old 07-09-22, 12:09 PM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

Car wash today. Had my car for 2 years and today I finally cleaned the exhaust for the first time. Took a lot of elbow grease but I’m happy with the results lol. First pic shows the left side polished vs the right side before polishing. Will definitely polish them every once in a while from now on so they look good

The following 4 users liked this post by Kingmatt24:
AJLex19 (07-09-22), byungkuk (07-09-22), chinee (07-09-22), greys0uled (07-09-22)
Old 07-09-22, 12:38 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I see Chin's got more scooters now and I do miss that silver color on my 2014 GS. I wish my 2019 came in silver too.

That skateboard better be electric Chin!
Old 07-09-22, 12:54 PM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

here’s a good before pic from a few days ago. The exhaust looked horrible and now I can’t believe I neglected them this long

Old 07-09-22, 01:44 PM
chinee
Racer

Desired results achieved. I'm good for another year or two.

@ItzFilyO Nope... My kids' skateboards, from 2013 or so, before electrification.

The following 5 users liked this post by chinee:
AJLex19 (07-09-22), bclexus (07-10-22), FSportOnly (07-09-22), Kingmatt24 (07-10-22), MuaGS350 (07-11-22)
Old 07-10-22, 03:39 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by chinee
Desired results achieved. I'm good for another year or two.

@ItzFilyO Nope... My kids' skateboards, from 2013 or so, before electrification.
It looks fantastic, which products did you use? I saw the BF One Step, did you use a compound as well?

I'm waiting for a new clay towel to arrive and I'll probably do some sort of correction although one panel at a time over a week, I wish I had the time to dedicate to it in one sitting! Would be nice to just use one product if I can get away with it.
Old 07-10-22, 03:40 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by Kingmatt24
here’s a good before pic from a few days ago. The exhaust looked horrible and now I can’t believe I neglected them this long
Is it running rich to cause those deposits?
Old 07-10-22, 03:41 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by byungkuk
I changed my battery about a month ago... mine's MY16 and the battery was original and I was facing weak starts as well.. like instead of the normal "vroom" sound when the car turns on - it was at like 50% volume.. That seems to have subsided once I swapped it out... Was your weak start similar? Got my battery from Costco and it was a B trying to remove out the battery cage/holder.
No, mine was the sound of a weak, sputtering starter and slow turnover of the engine. Once the engine turned over, it sounded the same.
Old 07-10-22, 04:16 AM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by BMGS
It looks fantastic, which products did you use? I saw the BF One Step, did you use a compound as well?

I'm waiting for a new clay towel to arrive and I'll probably do some sort of correction although one panel at a time over a week, I wish I had the time to dedicate to it in one sitting! Would be nice to just use one product if I can get away with it.
@BMGS Thanks. I did not even clay, or use a clay towel. Until 2018, I'd never even used a clay product and results were always acceptable. Hell, I've never even done a 2-bucket wash before and I still don't. I think I can get away with that for 2 reasons, 1) it's silver, which does not show most swirls and 2) like yours, the GS is garage-kept which does help protect the finish from contaminants. Like I said, the paint was still in pretty good condition, I did not want to spend additional time claying.

No compound either, just a wash and the BF One Step with the green pads. I had used orange pads before and thought they were a little too agressive. I saw the green pads offered at Autogeek and decided to give them a try... those greenies are definitely keepers. Those pics were taken shortly after the One Step. After a few hours I also applied Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer, which, although marketed as a detail spray acts more like a sealant and is the most hydrophobic product I have ever used. I reapply the BSD after every 2-3 washes to maintain the protection.

On another note, which wheel coating do you use, and would you recommend it? I want to mainly repel brake dust to facilitate easy cleaning. I've used the BSD on the wheels before and it works, but I can't help but think that a dedicated wheel coating or sealant would be better.

Last edited by chinee; 07-10-22 at 06:19 AM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?