GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-22, 05:16 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by BMGS
Is it running rich to cause those deposits?
nope. It's been through 2 gross winters and I never gave them a proper cleaning. Also the Borla axleback + aggressive driving in the past probably are contributing factors as well. I'll definitely monitor them and check the condition in a few weeks
Old 07-10-22, 12:26 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingmatt24
nope. It's been through 2 gross winters and I never gave them a proper cleaning. Also the Borla axleback + aggressive driving in the past probably are contributing factors as well. I'll definitely monitor them and check the condition in a few weeks
Got it, makes sense.
Old 07-10-22, 12:30 PM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by chinee
@BMGS Thanks. I did not even clay, or use a clay towel. Until 2018, I'd never even used a clay product and results were always acceptable. Hell, I've never even done a 2-bucket wash before and I still don't. I think I can get away with that for 2 reasons, 1) it's silver, which does not show most swirls and 2) like yours, the GS is garage-kept which does help protect the finish from contaminants. Like I said, the paint was still in pretty good condition, I did not want to spend additional time claying.

No compound either, just a wash and the BF One Step with the green pads. I had used orange pads before and thought they were a little too agressive. I saw the green pads offered at Autogeek and decided to give them a try... those greenies are definitely keepers. Those pics were taken shortly after the One Step. After a few hours I also applied Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer, which, although marketed as a detail spray acts more like a sealant and is the most hydrophobic product I have ever used. I reapply the BSD after every 2-3 washes to maintain the protection.

On another note, which wheel coating do you use, and would you recommend it? I want to mainly repel brake dust to facilitate easy cleaning. I've used the BSD on the wheels before and it works, but I can't help but think that a dedicated wheel coating or sealant would be better.
Nice, and I agree with the clay, I never got out that much on my garage kept car but a different story for my wife's car that sits outside. I would love to try a one step product though for correction.

I use McKees 37 Wheel Coating, not the ceramic one. Looks like AutoGeek doesn't have it anymore though so I ordered DP wheel coating along with the green pads, Blackfire One Step and the Sonax Detail Spray to mix it up.

Last edited by BMGS; 07-10-22 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-10-22, 09:06 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingmatt24
Do you have a Intake? If not, you are running rich. The carbon soot would still build up some, but if you are running a Axel back like the Borla, with no intake you would be running on the rich side.
Old 07-11-22, 06:40 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Nice, and I agree with the clay, I never got out that much on my garage kept car but a different story for my wife's car that sits outside. I would love to try a one step product though for correction.

I use McKees 37 Wheel Coating, not the ceramic one. Looks like AutoGeek doesn't have it anymore though so I ordered DP wheel coating along with the green pads, Blackfire One Step and the Sonax Detail Spray to mix it up.
I think you will like the BF One Step, but I'm afraid for the Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer, it's a love-it or hate-it product and most people hate it. It's grabby on both application and wipe off, and if it didn't keep my car so clean, I would have tossed it a long time ago. Cheers!
Old 07-11-22, 10:10 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

Finally waxed the car this year since we've had nothing but rain all year. Also did a quick polish this time to get some of the wear of normal use removed. Looks like I missed a spot of polish or wax in the 2nd photo

The following 2 users liked this post by Measured:
BMGS (07-18-22), E46CT (07-18-22)
Old 07-12-22, 01:37 AM
BMGS
Racer

I think you will like the BF One Step, but I'm afraid for the Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer, it's a love-it or hate-it product and most people hate it. It's grabby on both application and wipe off, and if it didn't keep my car so clean, I would have tossed it a long time ago. Cheers!
I did some light research and some dilute it to use as a drying aid. I'll likely do that since I like to apply something every wash to seal the paint. I wash once every month at the most. It should be easier to apply diluted and especially since I'll be using it right after the BF One Step. I appreciate you sharing these products, I've been dreading my three step correction process and I likely only need one for a "good enough" daily driver.
Old 07-13-22, 01:21 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

So I hit another piece of road debris today. A brand new Silverado in front of me threw a rod (literally). I think that fool ran over a piece of steel rod and didn't even know it and it was bouncing off the road several times before I ran it over. Either that or his truck was falling apart.

I hit the brakes a little to get it under the car but I actually felt something this time but when I checked, nothing was damaged (again!!). I probably ran it over with the tires but I thought for sure my front bumper was split in half. It was in the city so not too bad as it would on a highway.
Old 07-13-22, 03:16 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
So I hit another piece of road debris today. A brand new Silverado in front of me threw a rod (literally). I think that fool ran over a piece of steel rod and didn't even know it and it was bouncing off the road several times before I ran it over. Either that or his truck was falling apart.

I hit the brakes a little to get it under the car but I actually felt something this time but when I checked, nothing was damaged (again!!). I probably ran it over with the tires but I thought for sure my front bumper was split in half. It was in the city so not too bad as it would on a highway.
@ItzFilyO - Is this fool in the Silverado pickup?

Old 07-13-22, 03:24 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, yes he is!!! Turning and taking people's lanes without signaling.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (07-13-22)
Old 07-18-22, 06:27 AM
BMGS
Racer

I did about half the car with BF One Step and I do like it a lot. Its exactly as advertised, it can take out some spotting and swirls but nothing heavy duty, as expected. I used a lot of pressure and slow passes to get the most out of the correction abilities. What I didn't expect was how easy it was to take off. Its definitely a great product to get you 80-90% of the results with 20% of the effort of a compound, polish and seal procedure.

I diluted the Sonax Detailer 60/40 with water. It worked well as a final wipe agent and I'll use it again after my next wash, diluted a bit less for more effect.

I also tried some new-to-me products from 3D Car Care. I haven't tried anything in the past from them and I am a fan. I first tried their orange degreaser to help remove sunscreen stains from my wife's car. It worked well and then ordered the LVP Interior cleaner which is fantastic compared to the Adam's cleaner I used to use. It leaves a great matte finish and doesn't have much of a smell. I also am very happy with their clay towel. Its significantly easier and faster than a clay bar and I did find a good amount of deposits to remove from the hood and front bumper before polishing.
Old 07-18-22, 07:24 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

I did about half the car with BF One Step and I do like it a lot. Its exactly as advertised, it can take out some spotting and swirls but nothing heavy duty, as expected. I used a lot of pressure and slow passes to get the most out of the correction abilities. What I didn't expect was how easy it was to take off. Its definitely a great product to get you 80-90% of the results with 20% of the effort of a compound, polish and seal procedure.

I diluted the Sonax Detailer 60/40 with water. It worked well as a final wipe agent and I'll use it again after my next wash, diluted a bit less for more effect.

I also tried some new-to-me products from 3D Car Care. I haven't tried anything in the past from them and I am a fan. I first tried their orange degreaser to help remove sunscreen stains from my wife's car. It worked well and then ordered the LVP Interior cleaner which is fantastic compared to the Adam's cleaner I used to use. It leaves a great matte finish and doesn't have much of a smell. I also am very happy with their clay towel. Its significantly easier and faster than a clay bar and I did find a good amount of deposits to remove from the hood and front bumper before polishing.
Glad you liked the BF One Step. The BSD takes some getting used to. I also got a bottle of BF Detail Spray to try out on my daughter's Civic, it should be easier to apply than the BSD, but I really want to see how long it lasts on the Civic. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out this weekend.

For the interior I've been using warm water and Woolite, and do a final wipe with 303. I currently have a bottle of 303 All Surface Interior Cleaner (to replace the Woolite) and some Meg's Gold Class wash in my Amazon cart...
Old 07-18-22, 07:42 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Well, it turned out that I have a crack on my chrome trim piece near the lower grille from hitting that metal rod. Damn! I know I felt something.

I already ordered the lower grille and both side chrome trim. Just can't leave it like this, it's hurting me pretty bad. While I have the bumper off, might as well replace the scraped lower grille too.
Old 07-19-22, 06:49 AM
BMGS
Racer

Glad you liked the BF One Step. The BSD takes some getting used to. I also got a bottle of BF Detail Spray to try out on my daughter's Civic, it should be easier to apply than the BSD, but I really want to see how long it lasts on the Civic. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out this weekend.

For the interior I've been using warm water and Woolite, and do a final wipe with 303. I currently have a bottle of 303 All Surface Interior Cleaner (to replace the Woolite) and some Meg's Gold Class wash in my Amazon cart...
Always fun to try new stuff! I've been using the 303 protectant but it does gloss up the interior a bit, I guess it's a trade off for the UV protection.

Here's a couple photos from the rear quarter that I completed this morning, just have the rear to go. I'm still amazed at how easily it wipes off. I can run the polisher along all of the panels I want to accomplish and still wipe it all off no issue 10 minutes later.

The following 4 users liked this post by BMGS:
BlueIS05 (07-20-22), gaki (07-30-22), JDR76 (07-19-22), lexus4jess (07-21-22)
Old 07-19-22, 12:32 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 272 Likes on 234 Posts

Finally changed the oil today. Not sure why I was so intimidated. Been wrenching on cars for 30 years. OEM filter, Mobil 1 0W20 6.5 quarts and I’ll check it again after driving a bit. Torqued the drain plug to 30ft. Lbs and the oil filter housing to 18 ft.lbs.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?