GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-22, 11:45 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by SBPhoto
Ultra Racing USA bracing (I have everything they make, some upper and a lot of subframe bracing), Figs LCA bushings, UR doesn't make a rear strut bar but Toms does, RSR best coilovers and most recently added an adjustable rear sway bar... also forged wheels, stock are super heavy. My car looks pretty normal but recently kept up a pace fast enough in the mountains while chasing a Miata, for a group consisting of an M2, AMG GT, M8, and Taycan not to press me to pass. They were al least 6-7 car lengths back and I didn't feel like I was going too slow for them because I always pull over immediately when someone catches me. When we all pulled into the meet spot they came up right away and said "You were driving! The Lexus surprised us." They asked if this was the GSF, and I said no its only the 350 with suspension work.

Did you adjust the damping on the coilovers at all? I am curious as to how the adjustments interact with the AVS system.
Old 09-29-22, 12:00 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
That's what I had, my GS for a daily and a C6 Corvette for my sports car. What happened was I use my daily much more than a sports car and after 14 years of owning it my Corvette only had 8,200 miles. I just sold it recently because it sucks doing maintenance and buying $1,200 tires on a car based on age and not miles driven. I think my perfect car would be a GS-F but in all honesty, I would end up with too many tickets. So now I am looking into suspension mods for my GS without making the car look like it is owned by a teenager.
Agree 100%. Big emphasis on the 'tickets' part. GS F I feel like is too fast for a daily and the street, Bullet's Garage (on Youtube) mentioned exactly that in the vid where he sold his. The gears are way too long, it does 100 MPH in 3rd gear. Sometimes slower = better.

Suspension mods are up next for me too, credit to @SBPhoto he's laid the blueprint!

Last edited by greys0uled; 09-29-22 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-29-22, 12:01 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

That's what I had, my GS for a daily and a C6 Corvette for my sports car. What happened was I use my daily much more than a sports car and after 14 years of owning it my Corvette only had 8,200 miles. I just sold it recently because it sucks doing maintenance and buying $1,200 tires on a car based on age and not miles driven. I think my perfect car would be a GS-F but in all honesty, I would end up with too many tickets. So now I am looking into suspension mods for my GS without making the car look like it is owned by a teenager.
Agree 100%. Big emphasis on the 'tickets' part. GS F I feel like is too fast for a daily and the street, Bullet's Garage (on Youtube) mentioned exactly that in the vid where he sold his. The gears are way too long, it does 100 MPH in 3rd gear. Sometimes slower = better.

Suspension mods are up next for me too, credit to @SBPhoto he's laid the blueprint!

Why did this post twice?

Last edited by greys0uled; 09-29-22 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-29-22, 01:35 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Ultra Racing USA bracing (I have everything they make, some upper and a lot of subframe bracing), Figs LCA bushings, UR doesn't make a rear strut bar but Toms does, RSR best coilovers and most recently added an adjustable rear sway bar... also forged wheels, stock are super heavy. My car looks pretty normal but recently kept up a pace fast enough in the mountains while chasing a Miata, for a group consisting of an M2, AMG GT, M8, and Taycan not to press me to pass. They were al least 6-7 car lengths back and I didn't feel like I was going too slow for them because I always pull over immediately when someone catches me. When we all pulled into the meet spot they came up right away and said "You were driving! The Lexus surprised us." They asked if this was the GSF, and I said no its only the 350 with suspension work.

Nice! Also is it just the pic angle, or is the drop not that low? Do you have a good side pic to see the Tire clearance to wheel well drop?

Old 09-29-22, 01:51 PM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Received 200 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
Did you adjust the damping on the coilovers at all? I am curious as to how the adjustments interact with the AVS system.
This coilover is AVS adjustable and also has a 24 way adjustment at the bottom of the damper. You set the damper dial where you want and then from inside the car you can still make it soft, normal, or firm on sport + from that point, the controls behave just like stock. To get to the damper dial you dont even need to jack it to access it, turn the front wheels to access and for the rear you can just lay down and reach behind the wheel. When they were installed I had them set to about 19/24 toward the stiffer side and it felt really good, with very smooth and compliant ride quality but I wanted stiffer. I eventually went to 24/24 full stiff and I'm always on sport +, the handling changed a lot just from those 5 clicks and the way it absorbs bumps for me is still good for daily use. You feel it all but it doesn't bang over normal road, it still has a soft way of absorbing it. My 70 year old mom didn't complain and same for a few girls I've taken out.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (10-01-22)
Old 09-29-22, 01:56 PM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by greys0uled

I test drove an RCF over the summer, I would love that power but its not worth losing my suspension and also making another 30k worth of payments. I still get giggles with the 350 so I'm good for now.

My advice is whatever you stiffen in the front, you also stiffen something in the rear. People throw on a front upper strut bar only and the steering does feel more responsive but dont know they now made the car understeer more because the front is stiffer then the rear.
Old 09-29-22, 02:04 PM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jgscott
Nice! Also is it just the pic angle, or is the drop not that low? Do you have a good side pic to see the Tire clearance to wheel well drop?

Thanks!! I dont have a great shot, only this one below. It sits with a small gap between the tire and fender. You can stick a finger between. If I hit a big dip on the freeway and sometimes on hard mountain driving when the elevation changes my front left will rub but its nothing that happens frequently enough for me to want to change.

Old 09-29-22, 02:22 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Man, I am super excited seeing this post. This is similar to what I want to do to my car. Do you have the RSR active coil overs? I only have the base GS and the suspension is extremely soft. How much of a difference do you feel having active suspension?
Old 09-29-22, 02:31 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

after almost a year of collecting parts. Finally got TRD lip and OEM fogs installed. Shout out to nengun, jdm Nigel, and Tommy @ music box for making it happen!!
The following 6 users liked this post by aznKewlguy:
AJLex19 (09-29-22), chinee (09-29-22), greys0uled (09-29-22), lexus4jess (09-29-22), SBPhoto (09-29-22), signdetres (09-29-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-29-22, 02:36 PM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Man, I am super excited seeing this post. This is similar to what I want to do to my car. Do you have the RSR active coil overs? I only have the base GS and the suspension is extremely soft. How much of a difference do you feel having active suspension?
That makes me happy !! I really like the RSR ride quality and stiffness, I tried two other brands before and neither one lasted a week on the car. I wanted handling but to be streetable, not super harsh. I think you can get 24 way adjustable model by RSR for you car with the dial on top of the stock tower. For me, once I set the dial at the bottom there is that adjustability from inside the car for eco, normal, and sport +. My dial is on full stiff and Im always in the most firm setting from the AVS adjustment as well. Still nice enough to daily drive, I like the sporty feel and I'm not bouncing around or banging on bumps. Between the base and an AVS car I dont know how different the firmness would be if we both had RSR 24 ways, my guess is it would be extremely close if not the same.

Shameless plug on my youtube video. This is the run where I was chasing that Miata and had the more expensive sports cars a bit behind me. At the end you can hear the guy who was in the M2 say "You were driving, brother!"

The following 6 users liked this post by SBPhoto:
goldtears (09-30-22), greys0uled (09-29-22), gs350noob (09-29-22), Im2bz2p345 (09-29-22), lexus4jess (09-29-22), signdetres (09-29-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-30-22, 04:48 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Walked out to the car this morning to drive to work, didn't unlock with my hand. Had to use the key to open it and fish all my things out I needed before starting up my extra vehicle.

It may be that I've left my OBD reader plugged into the port, or the cold snap here which threw the battery.

It's going back in a couple weeks to have the mirror lights fixed (big woop) but I'll have them check the alternator/battery while it's there I suppose if I don't find anything myself first. I think advance auto give you a printed "receipt" if they load test a battery for you. Might find a cell going down.

Or the battery is just on its way out. It's in the Lexus records as being done in the recent past, just can't remember when.

Oh well. And I'll have to fiddle with that while one of the stronger storm bands passes over our area after I get off work.
Old 10-01-22, 12:58 PM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

Washed the GS and the NX.

Old 10-01-22, 06:04 PM
atomiclex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Andream MMI converter

After driving several cars with apple carplay i knew my 2019 needed some love. Beatsonic, Grom, all seemed to do the job but i am not one to spend so much money without doing my homework.
I found several replacements on Alibaba, and after finding out its general name I came across Andream and for $295 for wireless android, carplay, and airplay seemed a good deal.
The install was simple as i had seen several videos on youtube. Overall install took me about 2 hrs purely because i had to drop the glove box to hide the box . There is still a few kinks to work like the youtube feature in it; any other issue i had was answered by email within a day. Overall very happy with the install, it is a full screen carplay, no lags, and can use the steering wheel controls.

https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll.../apple-carplay
Old 10-01-22, 06:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I don’t drive my GS very often, but did today. Drove it downtown (Seattle) with the kids to take them to LEGO BrickCON. I toy daily with selling it but after putting some miles on it today, I confirmed, I just can’t sell it.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (10-01-22)
Old 10-01-22, 06:35 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Originally Posted by atomiclex
After driving several cars with apple carplay i knew my 2019 needed some love. Beatsonic, Grom, all seemed to do the job but i am not one to spend so much money without doing my homework.
I found several replacements on Alibaba, and after finding out its general name I came across Andream and for $295 for wireless android, carplay, and airplay seemed a good deal.
The install was simple as i had seen several videos on youtube. Overall install took me about 2 hrs purely because i had to drop the glove box to hide the box . There is still a few kinks to work like the youtube feature in it; any other issue i had was answered by email within a day. Overall very happy with the install, it is a full screen carplay, no lags, and can use the steering wheel controls.

https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll.../apple-carplay
Great choice looking at alternatives, Grom has gave me so much trouble. About half the price and it has Airplay? That’s great.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?