Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 04-06-18, 07:47 AM
MikeLucky
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchey
All I did was remove the stock ML sub, hooked up a Toyota speaker harness I had (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120728...s.html?tp=3097) from an old install, dropped it through the sub opening and just attached the wiring to the sub. The ML amp actually had enough power to push the sub. It is very limited though. You still have no control over it and you still need to keep the bass level up on the settings. But for 60% or more of my music, it fills in some of that missing bass. On songs with deep bass, you really notice it. It will shake the mirror.
If you really want to only run this route,find a 2 ohm sub (or 2 ohm combination) and the most efficient one you can find. You want a sensitivity rating as close to 90 as you can get (higher is better)

Just don't expect this to be the magic bullet. You will still be better off with a signal processor and an amp (or powered sub.

Once I get the DSP installed, I will let you know the frequency range of that output.

Connector from stock sub

10" Alpine DVC - Sealed box
So, I went ahead and ordered those wire harnesses and even got a cheap sub from Crutchfield to see how it works out.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R11...mnews=14830780

How difficult is it to remove the factory sub? Any tips on that?
Old 04-06-18, 08:03 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Changed my oil for the first time.

It's a lot of steps:
three screws to open the access panel
oil pan bolt
filter access cap
filter drain plug (messy)
filter housing
filter extraction (messy)
two o ring replacements
oil plug gasket replacement
reassemble

As much as I appreciate the lessened waste, the process is longer...and messier.

Last edited by jonathancl; 04-06-18 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-06-18, 08:07 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 93 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Changed my oil for the first time.

It's a lot of steps:
three screws to open the access panel
oil pan bolt
filter access cap
filter drain plug (hard to do without a mess)
filter housing
filter extraction (messy)
two o ring replacements
oil plug gasket replacement
reassemble

As much as I appreciate the lessened waste, the process is longer...and messier.
So, not a 30 minute job like on a Toyota then?
Old 04-06-18, 10:41 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Switched my rear turn signals to V leds.
Old 04-06-18, 12:42 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLucky
So, I went ahead and ordered those wire harnesses and even got a cheap sub from Crutchfield to see how it works out.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R11X10/Rockford-Fosgate-Prime-R1-1X10.html?tp=112&omnews=14830780

How difficult is it to remove the factory sub? Any tips on that?
You have to remove the back seat. This is for a 2018. Yours should be similar but the number of clips may vary.
Grab the lower cushion by the front. Feel along the bottom until you find the clip. Yank the seat cushion up really hard. Do the same to other side. There should only be 2 holding it down. Pull cushion forward then remove from car.

There should be 4 bolts along the bottom of the rear cushion. Remove those. Grab the bottom of the seat on either side and lift straight up really hard and pull forward. There are 2 clips at the top that face down holding the seat in place. (This is easier with 2 people, one on each side lifting at the same time) This task is more difficult than it sounds. You have to really yank.

You have 2 options at this point. Disconnect the battery, then disconnect air bags and remove the seat, or just push the seat forward and work behind it.I usually leave it in.

Place your hand under the rear deck and feel along for the clips at the front edge. There were 4 on mine. Using a panel tool, or a taped pry bar or large taped screw driver pry up on the clips. They are the christmas tree style so should pop up fairly easily. You can try to remove the rear deck but I think there are a lot more steps to that including removing the C pillar covers. I don't mess with that. There is barely enough room to carefully lift the rear deck in the middle and get your hands in there. Small hands work better. I used a short piece of 2x4 to hold it up while working.

Get a small ratchet and a long socket (10mm maybe, I don't remember) and remove the 4 bolts holding in the subwoofer. Then remove the harness and lift the sub out and pull forward. It's an inverted sub and the magnet is in the cone so it is fairly flat.

Just reverse the process to put everything back together.

Last edited by Ratchey; 04-06-18 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-06-18, 12:48 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R11...mnews=14830780
And that sub probably won't work. It's 4 ohm. You need a 2 ohm sub. It will only get half the power and with an 87 sensitivity, you will need the power.
Old 04-06-18, 08:17 PM
jluang
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

eBay carbon splitter. 3M sucks and not sticking. Is bolted down though. Any suggestion on which tape to use?

Old 04-07-18, 08:56 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Ran over a piece of wood on the middle of the road and it bent my RCF wheel :*(
Old 04-07-18, 11:26 AM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by jluang

eBay carbon splitter. 3M sucks and not sticking. Is bolted down though. Any suggestion on which tape to use?

The one that comes with those splitters are fake Chinese 3M. I got the legit 3M Moulding tape from HERE.
Old 04-07-18, 12:02 PM
rtalnique
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFuel

I got them off of eBay. I’m also running a Lexon roof spoiler
Are these the ones?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F182845404567

If not, could you send the link since there are so many different ones on eBay? Thanks.

Last edited by rtalnique; 04-07-18 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-07-18, 07:48 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LatinGS350

Ran over a piece of wood on the middle of the road and it bent my RCF wheel :*(
Same thing happened to me about 6 months ago. The bent didn't cause any vibration or cause any pull of the steering wheel. Just last week, I finally couldn't stand it (just kept noticing it everytime since it was on my front driver side wheel) and decided to get it fixed. I went to a wheel repair shop that was able to hammer it back straight without damaging the finish. Repair was about $85. The guy put something soft on top when hammering and was able to buff out any scuffs the hammering caused. Below is a pic of the damaged wheel before.

Old 04-07-18, 08:32 PM
MikeLucky
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchey
You have to remove the back seat. This is for a 2018. Yours should be similar but the number of clips may vary.
Grab the lower cushion by the front. Feel along the bottom until you find the clip. Yank the seat cushion up really hard. Do the same to other side. There should only be 2 holding it down. Pull cushion forward then remove from car.

There should be 4 bolts along the bottom of the rear cushion. Remove those. Grab the bottom of the seat on either side and lift straight up really hard and pull forward. There are 2 clips at the top that face down holding the seat in place. (This is easier with 2 people, one on each side lifting at the same time) This task is more difficult than it sounds. You have to really yank.

You have 2 options at this point. Disconnect the battery, then disconnect air bags and remove the seat, or just push the seat forward and work behind it.I usually leave it in.

Place your hand under the rear deck and feel along for the clips at the front edge. There were 4 on mine. Using a panel tool, or a taped pry bar or large taped screw driver pry up on the clips. They are the christmas tree style so should pop up fairly easily. You can try to remove the rear deck but I think there are a lot more steps to that including removing the C pillar covers. I don't mess with that. There is barely enough room to carefully lift the rear deck in the middle and get your hands in there. Small hands work better. I used a short piece of 2x4 to hold it up while working.

Get a small ratchet and a long socket (10mm maybe, I don't remember) and remove the 4 bolts holding in the subwoofer. Then remove the harness and lift the sub out and pull forward. It's an inverted sub and the magnet is in the cone so it is fairly flat.

Just reverse the process to put everything back together.
There has to be an easier way to do that. Lol
Old 04-08-18, 12:29 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

There has to be an easier way to do that. Lol
There is not. It's not as hard as it sounds. Just seems like a lot when you have to type it out.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?