GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-18, 11:00 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by ph0bolus
What's the protocol here, I contacted there insurance immediately after it happened, and they said they would try to contact the at-fault party to get there story, but haven't heard anything from them as of yet. I'm guessing after they ask for an estimate I take it to a body shop, but can I just take it to my nearest Lexus dealership to have them give me an estimate? Or do they normally contract that type of work out?
Did you mean that you contacted your insurance, or that you contacted their (the other party's) insurance? You should never speak to the other party's insurance unless your insurance tells you to do so. Have your insurance deal with the other party's insurance - that is why you pay your insurance company a premium - to handle issues like this.

You said that the other party ran a red light. Did she actually admit that she ran the red light to the officer? Even if she did admit that guilt to the officer, or there was an independent (third-party) witness that heard her say she ran the red light or actually saw the accident happen - be prepared for the story to change or for her insurance to claim that you were partially or even fully at-fault. Happens all the time! Hopefully that won't happen because the damage is fairly small, but you never know...
Old 09-17-18, 02:03 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Did you mean that you contacted your insurance, or that you contacted their (the other party's) insurance? You should never speak to the other party's insurance unless your insurance tells you to do so. Have your insurance deal with the other party's insurance - that is why you pay your insurance company a premium - to handle issues like this.

You said that the other party ran a red light. Did she actually admit that she ran the red light to the officer? Even if she did admit that guilt to the officer, or there was an independent (third-party) witness that heard her say she ran the red light or actually saw the accident happen - be prepared for the story to change or for her insurance to claim that you were partially or even fully at-fault. Happens all the time! Hopefully that won't happen because the damage is fairly small, but you never know...
Unfortunately that is very true. If she did not get a ticket her story is likely to change and her insurance company will likely try to get out of it, even maybe finding a way to blame you and possibly a arbitration decision that could leave you at fault. Hopefully there are witnesses or some kind of footage, I would get all the stuff in writing/documented so you can to show it was not your fault. Sorry to sound like a downner but I have been through this before with myself and family where accidents were clearly the other persons fault but then it comes back on you for the most ridiculous reasons.

Old 09-17-18, 02:52 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Unfortunately that is very true. If she did not get a ticket her story is likely to change and her insurance company will likely try to get out of it, even maybe finding a way to blame you and possibly a arbitration decision that could leave you at fault. Hopefully there are witnesses or some kind of footage, I would get all the stuff in writing/documented so you can to show it was not your fault. Sorry to sound like a downner but I have been through this before with myself and family where accidents were clearly the other persons fault but then it comes back on you for the most ridiculous reasons.
Yup.

The guys above summed it nicely, but basically go through your own insurance company. Tell them you want your car repaired by Lexus and only Lexus and have your policy pay out for the repairs and pay your deductible. If it is 100% not your fault, your insurance company will recover the full cost of repairs AND your deductible (refunded to you) from the other party. This process is way easier if you can gain access to footage from the traffic light, nearby businesses, or your own dash cam. Hopefully the other driver was ticketed!

Sadly this insurance game is a big ol' scam. Necessary, but scammy nonetheless. I was recently (last year) in an accident that 100% should not have been my fault but thanks to an officer who didn't understand the situation and no footage, I was partly at fault after insurance arbitration for the accident and received the citation when the only physically possible way for the accident to have occurred was for the other driver to have violated a state driving statute (he made a wide right turn from essentially the left lane, which in FL the statute states that right turns off of a roadway must be made in as close proximity to the curb or edge of the roadway as possible, and I clipped him on his front right passenger door from behind as I thought he was moving out of the lane we were in and in to the left turn lane to go left. No turn signal - I got the citation for "improper passing on the right"). Dashcam would have saved me, immediately bought one for each car.

Last edited by np20412; 09-17-18 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 04:28 PM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
Yup.

The guys above summed it nicely, but basically go through your own insurance company. Tell them you want your car repaired by Lexus and only Lexus and have your policy pay out for the repairs and pay your deductible. If it is 100% not your fault, your insurance company will recover the full cost of repairs AND your deductible (refunded to you) from the other party. This process is way easier if you can gain access to footage from the traffic light, nearby businesses, or your own dash cam. Hopefully the other driver was ticketed!

Sadly this insurance game is a big ol' scam. Necessary, but scammy nonetheless. I was recently (last year) in an accident that 100% should not have been my fault but thanks to an officer who didn't understand the situation and no footage, I was partly at fault after insurance arbitration for the accident and received the citation when the only physically possible way for the accident to have occurred was for the other driver to have violated a state driving statute (he made a wide right turn from essentially the left lane, which in FL the statute states that right turns off of a roadway must be made in as close proximity to the curb or edge of the roadway as possible, and I clipped him on his front right passenger door from behind as I thought he was moving out of the lane we were in and in to the left turn lane to go left. No turn signal - I got the citation for "improper passing on the right"). Dashcam would have saved me, immediately bought one for each car.
Same law in NJ. You have no idea how much it pisses me off when people do this. Dash cam is a great investment, I have dual dash cams, one for the front and one for the rear.
Old 09-17-18, 05:12 PM
Kane007
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
Same law in NJ. You have no idea how much it pisses me off when people do this. Dash cam is a great investment, I have dual dash cams, one for the front and one for the rear.
what dash cam you using? I have the ThinkWare F770 and it has a cam in the front and in the back. So far seems pretty decent.
Old 09-17-18, 05:14 PM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Kane007
what dash cam you using? I have the ThinkWare F770 and it has a cam in the front and in the back. So far seems pretty decent.
Same. I have the Thinkware F800 Pro, great cameras.
Old 09-17-18, 09:01 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

She ran a red...absolutely nothing wrong with her '05 Cobalt. Which pisses me off even more. At least my car looked sexy
Thankfully not too bad. That will probably buff out easily.

But really, that just sucks... good luck bringing her back better than new!
Old 09-17-18, 11:17 PM
garyeh
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Let us know how the insurance thing pans out
Old 09-18-18, 02:58 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Originally Posted by np20412
Yup.

Originally Posted by bclexus

It's totally her fault, no way she can wriggle out of it. A witness actually came up to me and said he saw the whole thing, and also talked to the cop before he had a chance to open his door. The cop said she was at fault, and would be giving her the ticket.

I called her insurance to file a claim, but I also notified my agent to let him know that I'd be contacting them. If all else fails, i'll get him involved, but the 3rd party insurance company said an adjuster would contact me today. If I do start to file a claim through my insurance, should I let him know I plan to file a diminished value claim as well?
Old 09-18-18, 08:59 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It's totally her fault, no way she can wriggle out of it. A witness actually came up to me and said he saw the whole thing, and also talked to the cop before he had a chance to open his door. The cop said she was at fault, and would be giving her the ticket.

I called her insurance to file a claim, but I also notified my agent to let him know that I'd be contacting them. If all else fails, i'll get him involved, but the 3rd party insurance company said an adjuster would contact me today. If I do start to file a claim through my insurance, should I let him know I plan to file a diminished value claim as well?
I would make sure you have documentation she was issued a at fault ticket, cops have a habit of getting accident reports wrong too. You should be in the clear if she got the ticket and you have documentation of it. Unfortunately too often after a accident that was clearly the others persons fault the non fault party gets blamed or takes some of the blame once lawyers get involved, stories change, bogus arbitration rulings, etc. That is why it is so important to have documentation of tickets issued, witnesses, footage, pictures etc even if it seems clear cut you are not at fault.

It is normally better to go through your insurance especially when you are completely not at fault/she was issued a ticket, they will generally try to take better care of you their client then someone else's insurance.
Old 09-18-18, 09:48 AM
tejanp
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I too was recently a victim to ****ty insurance. A driver rear ended the GS, and he had Geico. He admitted falling asleep behind the wheel and rear ending me. Geico gave me an estimate of $400 to put bondo on the car, refused to go that route, got an estimate from my preferred body shop. They quoted to replace the bumper, Geico then fought to have it replaced by a generic non-oem bumper cover. Had to fight that for a few weeks, eventually giving up and paying the difference to cover for an OEM bumper. I hope and wish the guy who handled my case burns in hell.
Old 09-24-18, 02:42 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Washed it last night so I could take some pictures this afternoon and test out the new iPhone XS Max cam. It does a great job of capturing what Atomic Silver actually looks like in real life. Very impressed. Ignore the trash on the ground, that's LA for ya

Last edited by signdetres; 09-24-18 at 02:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FSportOnly (06-30-20)
Old 09-25-18, 09:58 PM
Azmotor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Apexi Exhaust

Just installed an Apexi Axel Back Exhaust with a Lexon Rear Diffusercid:
Check out the link below.

View this post on Instagram
Old 09-26-18, 01:39 PM
garyeh
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Washed it last night so I could take some pictures this afternoon and test out the new iPhone XS Max cam. It does a great job of capturing what Atomic Silver actually looks like in real life. Very impressed.
Just splurged on a GS Atomic Silver, now you're selling me on a new iPhone lol
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (09-26-18)
Old 09-26-18, 02:38 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Just changed my oil. Got a new jug of Mobil 1 at Walmart, opened it and it was used oil. Alerted store mgr. and he made it right. Some gypsy probably got a refund on his used oil. Glad I didn't put it in the car.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?