GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I hate that my car drives like Prius after I put Penzoil Platinum oil at 15K services

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-17, 12:15 PM
Jrdonta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChronoR
Probably something else coincidental to the oil change is the problem. Even wrong engine oil wouldn't yield as large a difference as you're claiming.

Maybe the MAF sensor got coat with oil or some hose is loose.
You can say that if you are also using exactly Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 in Silver bottle. I did not touch anything else beside oil only. If someone have used Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 and have no issue please let me and everyone know.
Old 08-17-17, 12:18 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
The SAE standards exist to ensure that lubricants are mostly interchangeable, at least where viscosity is concerned.
How can different oils of the same SAE spec have such substantially difference outcomes?
Originally Posted by Jrdonta
There is only one way to find out if you have that question by putting Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 in Silver bottle by yourself. Please share your experience with it.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (08-17-17)
Old 08-17-17, 12:21 PM
Jrdonta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Thank you. Please let me know your reality once you try Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20.
Old 08-17-17, 04:23 PM
PsykotiK
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

must be in your mind cause i use penzoil ultra platinum no problems.. ive used it for the last 3 oil changes actually
Old 08-17-17, 04:33 PM
Jrdonta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PsykotiK
must be in your mind cause i use penzoil ultra platinum no problems.. ive used it for the last 3 oil changes actually
Thank you for sharing your experience and I assume your GS is from 2013 and 2016 and as well as more spirited driving style. So now we have 1 good vs 1 bad experience with Penzoil Ultra Platinum. Let wait for more feedback in the next few days.
Old 08-17-17, 05:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

This is the oil I use. My engine picked up 57 hp and 73 lb-ft of torque, and my fuel mileage increased by 12%.

Old 08-18-17, 06:16 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

You can say that if you are also using exactly Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 in Silver bottle. I did not touch anything else beside oil only. If someone have used Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 and have no issue please let me and everyone know.
it is literally impossible for the oil to change the way it drives unless the oil is not what the container says it is.

BTW, why in the hell did you put the same oil in it a second time if you were so sure it was the oil the first time? Your credibility dipstick is really getting low here.

Last edited by jjscsix; 08-18-17 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-18-17, 06:22 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by bclexus
This is the oil I use. My engine picked up 57 hp and 73 lb-ft of torque, and my fuel mileage increased by 12%.

I may not stop laughing until Monday!
Old 08-18-17, 08:14 AM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I occasionally see people posting in this forum and others about how a recent change of oil affected the "feel" of the car. Unless the newly installed oil was vastly different in terms of viscosity or quality, (extremely unlikely), you're not going to feel a thing. I think it is more likely something else happened while the oil was getting changed - like someone accidentally pulled a wire or vacuum hose loose.
Old 08-18-17, 10:42 AM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by btanchors
I occasionally see people posting in this forum and others about how a recent change of oil affected the "feel" of the car. Unless the newly installed oil was vastly different in terms of viscosity or quality, (extremely unlikely), you're not going to feel a thing. I think it is more likely something else happened while the oil was getting changed - like someone accidentally pulled a wire or vacuum hose loose.
Yeah, I agree with btanchors, I don't think a change in oil at the 15K service is the root of your problems.
Old 08-19-17, 03:39 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by btanchors
I've seen this before with my ex's ford crapstar minivan she had. The dink at the oil change place accidentally unplugged a hose from her airbox that fed some kind of sensor, and forgot to plug it back in. A lot of this happens because they are looking at air filters and **** they have no business touching because they want to score an upsell. At least when I used those places I had them programmed to not bug me about **** like that. Just change the effing oil and filter!

-Mike
Old 08-19-17, 04:06 PM
Jrdonta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjscsix
it is literally impossible for the oil to change the way it drives unless the oil is not what the container says it is.

BTW, why in the hell did you put the same oil in it a second time if you were so sure it was the oil the first time? Your credibility dipstick is really getting low here.
Please read my post carefully
And please share your feedback after you use Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 not Penzoil Platinum 0w-20.
Old 08-19-17, 04:24 PM
Jrdonta
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=vuong05;9957981]Yeah, I agree with btanchors, I don't think a change in oil at the 15K service is the root of your problems.

so so far we we still have 1 good and 1 bad experience with Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 and hopefully we will get some more feedback from someone who have used and will use Penzoil Ultra Platinum on GS 13 to 17 and we may come up with acceptable conclusion if it was oil or human error.
Old 08-19-17, 05:58 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Please read my post carefully
And please share your feedback after you use Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 not Penzoil Platinum 0w-20.
I've read your post carefull. I know more than a little bit about engines and oil. I stand by my statement.
Old 08-19-17, 08:11 PM
Jrdonta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I've read your post carefull. I know more than a little bit about engines and oil. I stand by my statement.
Everyone here has knowledge about engine and oil which is why I am here to share experience and learn something we may knew it was right yesterday but no longer true today or in the future.
If you have read my posts carefully then you would not ask me why I use the same oil. I did not use the same oil since the first one was Penzoil Platinum 0w-20 and the second one was Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20. I assume Ultra word stand for something different that Penzoil is doing to its oil ( hopefully it is not just label) and I just want to learn why EFI reset solved issue with Penzoil Platinum NOT with Penzil Ultra Platinum. If we lucky enough then we may have someone share their own experience of GS 13 to 17 with Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20. BTW, the guy who is taking my car knows what he is doing since he is my high school friend and 20 years experience as mechanic who I know he is best mechanic not because he said he the best but other knows him or works with him always comment that he is very talented mechanic.

Quick Reply: I hate that my car drives like Prius after I put Penzoil Platinum oil at 15K services