Dealer Scratched Car During Service

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-17, 07:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
next time, put a note: "do not wash"
That damage was not accidentally done by a car wash, or by a car wash attendant. That damage was not accidentally done by a dealership technician, or a service employee. The damage was far too great (deep scrapes down to the primer/metal) and covered various distant areas of the car's body to be accidental or to go unnoticeable by whoever did it. I find it very hard to believe the damage was not noticed immediately by the owner when he got physically close to the car when he picked it up from being serviced. No employee would do such damage on purpose, and I really don't see how such damage could have even happened at the dealership. Maybe someone accidentally lost control of something awkward and/or heavy (e.g. ladder or plate steel or rebar) in the parking lot of [like] a Home Depot or Lowes hardware store where their work truck was parked beside the Lexus..

I think that damage was done by either carelessness of the owner/driver of the car, or it was an accident that happened somewhere else away from the dealership, or it was intentional damage caused by an act of vandalism. I am really surprised the Lexus dealership accepted the blame for causing the damage and agreed to repair and re-paint the damaged areas. I just don't see how the dealership can justify agreeing to make the repair...except to do it as a total goodwill gesture so-as not to cause an issue with the customer. I would say this act is unusual, if not rare, with the kind of damage I see...

Last edited by bclexus; 01-25-17 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-24-17, 08:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I can totally buy that the dealer caused that damage.

Howd the repair pair turn out? Sucks that happened. Does your dealer use a tunnel or automatic wash?
Old 01-24-17, 11:22 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never take my car to the service department.
NEVER NEVER NEVER.
I change my oil and filter.
Any other maintenance I rather take to a mechanic and watch him do the repair in front of me.

The previous comment was correct, you take car to service a 16 year old drives the car to the back after that you don't know whats going to happen to your car.
Old 01-25-17, 04:07 AM
ravig292
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

Still waiting for the work to get done. Service rep told me yesterday the shop was taking longer than usual cause of the color. Assured me that it would be done today. But either way can't even pick it up today as I'll be busy the whole day. So tomorrow after one week I should finally have it back. Just praying that it turns out good.
Old 01-25-17, 04:23 AM
ravig292
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
That damage was not accidentally done by a car wash, or by a car wash attendant. That damage was not accidentally done by a dealership technician, or a service employee. The damage was far too great (deep scratches to primer/metal) and covered various distant areas of the car's body to be accidental or to go unnoticeable by whoever did it. I find it very hard to believe the damage was not noticed immediately by the owner when he got physically close to the car when he picked it up from being serviced. No employee would do such damage on purpose, and I really don't see how such damage could have even happened at the dealership. Maybe someone accidentally lost control of something awkward and/or heavy (e.g. ladder or plate steel or rebar) in the parking lot of [like] a Home Depot or Lowes hardware store.where their truck was parked beside the Lexus..

I think that damage was done by either carelessness of the owner/driver of the car, or it was an accident that happened somewhere else away from the dealership, or it was intentional damage caused by an act of vandalism. I am really surprised the Lexus dealership accepted the blame for causing the damage and agreed to repair and re-paint the damaged areas. I just don't see how the dealership can justify agreeing to make the repair...except to do it as a total goodwill gesture so-as not to cause an issue with the customer. I would say this act is unusual, if not rare, with the kind of damage I see...
So you are either calling me a liar or calling me ignorant. I don't see how this could have happened elsewhere and I missed it. I baby the car as much as I can. At parking lots I keep it away from high traffic areas and certainly don't park anywhere near contractor pick up at lowes or home depot... Also the car was sitting in my garage for a week because I take my older Ls400 to the train station for work. So each day i go in and out the garage for that week I would have caught that kind of damage. Also the service rep thoroughly went around the car and inspected it for any damage before the maintenace. He said he did not see that before as its something that easily could be seen if you're doing a walk though around the car looking for damage. In the end, you can continue to believe what you want because I know for a fact that this damage did not happen elsewhere.
Old 01-25-17, 08:01 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ravig292
So you are either calling me a liar or calling me ignorant. I don't see how this could have happened elsewhere and I missed it. I baby the car as much as I can. At parking lots I keep it away from high traffic areas and certainly don't park anywhere near contractor pick up at lowes or home depot... Also the car was sitting in my garage for a week because I take my older Ls400 to the train station for work. So each day i go in and out the garage for that week I would have caught that kind of damage. Also the service rep thoroughly went around the car and inspected it for any damage before the maintenace. He said he did not see that before as its something that easily could be seen if you're doing a walk though around the car looking for damage. In the end, you can continue to believe what you want because I know for a fact that this damage did not happen elsewhere.
As I said...I do not think that damage happened at the dealership...
Old 01-25-17, 08:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Come on...what is the purpose of calling the guy a liar? How can we say with any confidence that didn't happen at the dealer? People carry large things and move large things around cars at the dealer too. Could have been something loose in their wash, could have been parked next to a pet delivery truck...
Old 01-25-17, 08:10 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Come on...what is the purpose of calling the guy a liar? How can we say with any confidence that didn't happen at the dealer? People carry large things and move large things around cars at the dealer too. Could have been something loose in their wash, could have been parked next to a pet delivery truck...
Your words Steve, not mine!

Once again...I do not think that damage happened at the dealership...
Old 01-25-17, 08:42 AM
ravig292
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
Your words Steve, not mine!

Once again...I do not think that damage happened at the dealership...
As I said, you can believe whatever you want. The truth/facts leading up to the day of service are with me and thats all that matters here...
Old 01-25-17, 09:15 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

As I said, you can believe whatever you want. The truth/facts leading up to the day of service are with me and thats all that matters here...
OP, did the dealer wash/clean your car during the service? As can be seen from the earlier replies, most of us suspect the most probable cause of these scratches at the dealer probably is from car washing or windshield cleaning.
Old 01-25-17, 11:08 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
I never take my car to the service department.
NEVER NEVER NEVER.
I change my oil and filter.
Any other maintenance I rather take to a mechanic and watch him do the repair in front of me.

The previous comment was correct, you take car to service a 16 year old drives the car to the back after that you don't know whats going to happen to your car.

That is why I have a semi hidden dash cam in my car. I have recorded the technician doing WOT's in my car, a porter rummaging in my change holder for money and another porter almost hitting another customers car being driven by another worker when pulling out of a blind corner. I never forwarded the videos to management since nothing was done to the car that I have not done myself and the change thief will eventually get busted someday for something bigger than stealing change.

If something happens to my car to cause damage while in their possession, it will likely get caught on camera so there will be no denying how the damage was done.
Old 01-25-17, 11:24 AM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree your original post was about YOUR experience, Not for a random person to judge if he believed if the dealership did it or not. Keep us updated on your experience.
Old 01-25-17, 11:34 AM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

If the Lexus dealership is anything like the one near me, When I arrive into the service drive, The adviser walks with me around the car, and this would be something that would have been noticeable. The dealership did it!
Old 01-25-17, 12:54 PM
dman3626
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a great example of why you inspect your ride after ANY type of service. Sorry that happened to you, i've been in a similar situation. I hope they do a great job fixing her up.
Old 01-25-17, 01:54 PM
ravig292
Rookie

Originally Posted by er34
OP, did the dealer wash/clean your car during the service? As can be seen from the earlier replies, most of us suspect the most probable cause of these scratches at the dealer probably is from car washing or windshield cleaning.
Yes they did. Wasn't gonna let them cause I normally wash the car myself using my foam cannon and bunch of microfiber clothes. But since it wasn't car wash season for me(winter) I opted in to let them run it through the wash cause I had some salt built up under the chassis and lower sides from the road. Guess I will say no next time...

Quick Reply: Dealer Scratched Car During Service