GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dealer Scratched Car During Service

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-17, 02:00 PM
ravig292
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
That is why I have a semi hidden dash cam in my car. I have recorded the technician doing WOT's in my car, a porter rummaging in my change holder for money and another porter almost hitting another customers car being driven by another worker when pulling out of a blind corner. I never forwarded the videos to management since nothing was done to the car that I have not done myself and the change thief will eventually get busted someday for something bigger than stealing change.

If something happens to my car to cause damage while in their possession, it will likely get caught on camera so there will be no denying how the damage was done.
Wow thats pretty crazy of what you were able to catch. The coin thing asmuses me because they make us sign a paper stating the dealer isnt responsible for any personal items left inside. Might explore the option of the dash cam with my gopro but who knows, it might just go missing and they wont be responsible for it
Old 01-25-17, 02:03 PM
ravig292
Rookie

Update:

Got a call about an hour ago from my service rep. The car is ready finally but can't go tonight to get it cause I'm busy. Will be going tomorrow after work to pick it up and will inspect the hell outta the job they did.
Old 01-25-17, 03:13 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ravig292
Update:

Got a call about an hour ago from my service rep. The car is ready finally but can't go tonight to get it cause I'm busy. Will be going tomorrow after work to pick it up and will inspect the hell outta the job they did.
Make sure to pull it in to the sun at and inspect at multiple angles. Maybe even park the car in a few different ways to make sure you see any changes in shades when the sun hits it at a different angle.

I can totally believe that this type of damage can occur at the dealer. My hypothesis is that one of the spinning brushes in the automatic wash malfunctioned or has a defect that might have scratched those areas heavily. Hopefully it didn't scratch every car that went through that wash...that would terrible for the dealer.

Last edited by dchar; 01-25-17 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-25-17, 04:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

I bet it happened in their wash tunnel
Old 01-25-17, 04:49 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
I can totally believe that this type of damage can occur at the dealer. My hypothesis is that one of the spinning brushes in the automatic wash malfunctioned or has a defect that might have scratched those areas heavily. Hopefully it didn't scratch every car that went through that wash...that would terrible for the dealer.
Originally Posted by SW15LS
I bet it happened in their wash tunnel
Only one car received deep scrapes down to the metal on both the front and rear of the car? These are not mere swirls or surface scratches in the clearcoat - these are hefty gouges completely through the paint and down into the primer or sheet metal. If other customer's vehicles (including brand new vehicles being readied for pick-up by new owners) had received anywhere near this amount of damage, you can be assured that all service advisors and sales staff would have been alerted about the problem immediately the same day it happened, and the car wash would have been promptly closed. The next day when the service advisor saw the damage he didn't have any idea what could have caused the damage, and didn't say anything about having a car wash problem the day before... Only one car received damage? I don't think so...

Last edited by bclexus; 01-25-17 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-25-17, 05:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bclexus
Only one car received deep scratches down to the metal on both the front and rear of the car? These are not mere swirls or surface scratches in the clearcoat - these are hefty gouges completely through the paint and down into the primer or sheet metal. If other customer's vehicles (including brand new vehicles being readied for pick-up by new owners) had received anywhere near this amount of damage, you can be assured that all service advisors and sales staff would have been alerted about the problem immediately the same day it happened, and the car wash would have been promptly closed. The next day when the service advisor saw the damage he didn't have any idea what could have caused the damage, and didn't say anything about having a car wash problem the day before... Only one car received damage? I don't think so...
Of course he's not going to say anything about damage they've had to other people's cars...

Seeing that the dealership has taken responsibility for the damage to his car and has repaired it, I'm not sure what is gained by continuing to challenge who was responsible...the dealer agreed they were responsible thats all that matters.
Old 01-25-17, 05:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Of course he's not going to say anything about damage they've had to other people's cars...

Seeing that the dealership has taken responsibility for the damage to his car and has repaired it, I'm not sure what is gained by continuing to challenge who was responsible...the dealer agreed they were responsible thats all that matters.
I seriously doubt the dealership accepted responsibility for the damage (since they cannot determine the source of the damage), but is nevertheless willing to repair the damage as a goodwill gesture.
Old 01-25-17, 05:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If they agreed to repair it, they accept responsibility for it. You're arguing semantics here.
Old 01-25-17, 05:35 PM
jerseytayl
Driver School Candidate

That damage was not accidentally done by a car wash, or by a car wash attendant. That damage was not accidentally done by a dealership technician, or a service employee. The damage was far too great (deep scratches to primer/metal) and covered various distant areas of the car's body to be accidental or to go unnoticeable by whoever did it. I find it very hard to believe the damage was not noticed immediately by the owner when he got physically close to the car when he picked it up from being serviced. No employee would do such damage on purpose, and I really don't see how such damage could have even happened at the dealership. Maybe someone accidentally lost control of something awkward and/or heavy (e.g. ladder or plate steel or rebar) in the parking lot of [like] a Home Depot or Lowes hardware store where their work truck was parked beside the Lexus.. I think that damage was done by either carelessness of the owner/driver of the car, or it was an accident that happened somewhere else away from the dealership, or it was intentional damage caused by an act of vandalism. I am really surprised the Lexus dealership accepted the blame for causing the damage and agreed to repair and re-paint the damaged areas. I just don't see how the dealership can justify agreeing to make the repair...except to do it as a total goodwill gesture so-as not to cause an issue with the customer. I would say this act is unusual, if not rare, with the kind of damage I see...
what the hell is wrong with you

Posting some long, made up bullchit story of what you "think" happened. Get a grip
Old 01-25-17, 05:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

If they agreed to repair it, they accept responsibility for it. You're arguing semantics here.
From a legal standpoint, agreeing to repair the damage is in no way accepting responsibility for causing it...
Old 01-25-17, 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Again...semantics. They apologized and agreed to fix it...whether they "accepted blame" isn't important, they're repairing his car which is the bottom line.
Old 01-25-17, 05:54 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Again...semantics. They apologized and agreed to fix it...whether they "accepted blame" isn't important, they're repairing his car which is the bottom line.
Agree, they are repairing the damage - I believe only as a goodwill gesture.
Old 01-25-17, 05:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Agree, they are repairing the damage - I believe only as a goodwill gesture.
You can believe whatever you want, also is of no consequence.
Old 01-25-17, 06:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

You can believe whatever you want, also is of no consequence.
As this topic has no consequence to either of us! Remember, it was the OP that decided to make the story public, which then opened a discussion for any member to participate with their opinion. That is how a forum works...
Old 01-25-17, 07:02 PM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You lucky, dealerships usually put up a fight.

Quick Reply: Dealer Scratched Car During Service